Author Topic: Blitzortung Detector  (Read 3044 times)

Offline Frank57

• TyngsboroWeather
Blitzortung Detector
« on: July 04, 2014, 06:06:13 AM »
Back on the board after some absents and see lots of info now on lightning detectors. I friend on here suggested I post on this board what I have. I have 2 of these lightning detector kits. I never got around to building them and setting them up. I have the one that is partially built up (Blitzortung), and you need to finish assembling it and the TOA kit that needs to be assembled from start. I would like know if there is anyone is interested buying these and if so, reply and I will locate them in my "kits to build" box and sell them. I just never had the time to build them up and would rather see them put to good use. Most know what these kits went for, but I will sell at a decent price and hope to recoop some $ back and knowing they will get some use instead of sitting in the box. If this posting didn't belong here, please move to the right area.  Great to be back, lots of reading to catch up.  Thanks,  Frank  :-)  USA 

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
    • Sleeping Saguaros Weather  Mesa, AZ
Re: Blitzortung Detector
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 06:50:32 AM »
PM sent
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline Frank57

• TyngsboroWeather
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 07:06:45 AM »
Geez, this posting woke up a few people  :-) ok, let me round up the items and I will post what I have. Both are over a year since I had them.  Thanks everyone, I'll send pm's replies today.

Offline Frank57

• TyngsboroWeather
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 09:33:44 AM »
Morning, here is some info of 2 the types of kits I have, one needs to be fully assembled and I bought the GPS module to go with it. The other one is assembled on 2 small boards, and just needs power supply,cabling for the antennas and the antenna itself.  Here are some links to them: http://www.blitzortung.org/Documents/TOA_Blitzortung.pdf  http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=18743.0   (The one I have is Version eight) and trying to find the link for the SMD revised PCB of the other one I have as well.

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 09:55:37 AM »
Just a caution, Frank's boards are the older "Green" units, not the newer Red system. They require a dedicated PC be connected and running the "Tracker" program for operation. The Red units are self-contained and require no PC for operation.

The older system does work well with proper antennas and the gain jumpers correctly set. They do not have the range of gain adjustment and filtering of the Red system, however.

Regards,

Don

Offline Frank57

• TyngsboroWeather
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 10:23:55 AM »
Just a caution, Frank's boards are the older "Green" units, not the newer Red system. They require a dedicated PC be connected and running the "Tracker" program for operation. The Red units are self-contained and require no PC for operation.

The older system does work well with proper antennas and the gain jumpers correctly set. They do not have the range of gain adjustment and filtering of the Red system, however.

Regards,

Don

Thanks for the info Don, I did state that I have had these for some time, so hopefully others will realize this before making a decision on it.  Maybe the ones that have these ones in place can use them as backups or do up another one. I also just realize there was a for sale/wanted topic as well so either my topic will be moved to there or they'll let it ride.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 10:28:55 AM by Frank57 »

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
    • Sleeping Saguaros Weather  Mesa, AZ
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 10:40:35 AM »
Thanks Don, I kinda figured they might be the older style.  Still could be interesting to work with.
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline Frank57

• TyngsboroWeather
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 10:53:40 AM »
Thanks Don, I kinda figured they might be the older style.  Still could be interesting to work with.
  Was glad he popped in, I wouldn't want to have a bad sale as I want it to go to someone that can use it and have fun with it. I should've noted that sale will be final as well. So info stamped on the PCB states: PCB 6, Version 8, 1/2012  hope that clarifies it further.

Offline Frank57

• TyngsboroWeather
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 01:09:32 PM »
 Both units, GPS module included, $100 +sh, small box so shouldn't be much. First one in PM will get it. Will ship once I have zip code and get final shipping quote and payment via paypal.

Offline robo

• Blitzortung Schwangau
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 02:35:02 PM »

I run my "GREEN" 6.8 USB system with a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND router with OpenWRT and the Tracker program installed on the router. It works very well and the power consumption of both, the "GREEN" system and the router is about 5 W. The system uptime is now 372 days. :-)

cu Robo :)

Offline Frank57

• TyngsboroWeather
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 03:08:44 PM »
Thanks for the input Robo, at least someone is running one and will give a positive for anyone thinking about this one. :)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 06:25:13 PM »

I run my "GREEN" 6.8 USB system with a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND router with OpenWRT and the Tracker program installed on the router. It works very well and the power consumption of both, the "GREEN" system and the router is about 5 W. The system uptime is now 372 days. :-)

cu Robo :)

I am also running the IPK version of the tracker program for my 6.8USB "Green" system on a TP-Link MR-3020 mini-router under OpenWRT. It was pretty simple to set up if you know your way around Linux, and not insurmountable if not.

See https://openwrt.org/ for details on the various hardware platforms and about OpenWRT.

There is even a "display only" GUI for the Green running the OpenWRT port of the tracker program. (see attached)

Robo's WR-1043ND is pretty slick looking  :mrgreen:

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

anything