Author Topic: Mid-range but robust weather station solution  (Read 1043 times)

Offline imkuk

Mid-range but robust weather station solution
« on: January 10, 2022, 10:01:40 AM »
Folks,

I am new to this game and hopefully have simple requirements, but I suspect I am asking too much for my budget:

1) A robust solution that will not see one or more sensors/units fail just out of warranty, eg: after 18 months
2) Accuracy need only be reasonable
3) Cost up to 350 GBP
4) Console not a requirement
5) Must be able to upload data to the main services without going over the budget, eg: Wunderground, and so download/export to analyse on a PC/Mac
6) Solar powered preferred, but units that last at least a year on batteries would be OK
7) Monitor: tempearature, humidity, pressure, wind speed, wind direction, precipitation

The impression I get is separate components are better for maintenance, but am guessing this increases cost.

Any suggestions on what/where to buy?

Thank you

Ian

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
Re: Mid-range but robust weather station solution
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 11:16:53 AM »
Since you set a budget of £350 it rules out the premier station - a Davis VP2 which most of the time will outlive any of the others available for your budget. However one of the Ecowitt stations should be quite good and reliable. Because of budget constraints now I'm retired my 15 year old VP1 has been replaced by a GW1003 from Ecowitt and I'm quite please with it. Only time will tell if it lasts 15 years and if it does I'm not sure I'll be around to see it  ;)

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline wxperson

« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 12:40:29 PM by wxperson »

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 01:23:30 PM »
Folks,

I am new to this game and hopefully have simple requirements, but I suspect I am asking too much for my budget:

1) A robust solution that will not see one or more sensors/units fail just out of warranty, eg: after 18 months
2) Accuracy need only be reasonable
3) Cost up to 350 GBP
4) Console not a requirement
5) Must be able to upload data to the main services without going over the budget, eg: Wunderground, and so download/export to analyse on a PC/Mac
6) Solar powered preferred, but units that last at least a year on batteries would be OK
7) Monitor: tempearature, humidity, pressure, wind speed, wind direction, precipitation

The impression I get is separate components are better for maintenance, but am guessing this increases cost.

Any suggestions on what/where to buy?

Thank you

Ian

There are a huge range of options, it took me a few months to sort out my solution

1 - Ecowitt seems to be good quality, if you go for a component system rather than all-in-one, individual sensors can be replaced/added cheaply
2-Ecowitt-check
3-Ecowitt - check
4-Ecowitt - check, but you will need an internet gateway unit (GW1000/1100) for reqt 5
5-Ecowitt-check.  Ecowitt uploads to the main services (configured through the WSView or Ecowitt app), the others can be done through third party software like CumulusMX(free) or WeatherDisplay($58 lifetime licence), analysis software will need the data downloaded from those services or a data logger to log it locally (CumulusMx does that too as does WeatherDisplay)
6-Ecowitt - check, see the options at the top of the ambient/fine offset and clones sub forum
7-Ecowitt - check

Options for purchase are Amazon UK (Ecowitt Store or WeatherSpares) , Weather Spares (UK), Froggit (Germany but watch the duty/VAT) or the Ecowitt online stores (ship from China - VAT and duty to watch). Prices/availability and shipping costs vary quite a lot depending on what you want. Ensure everything is the same frequency (868Mhz)

Other options are Acurite and Atlas and the various FineOffset clones like Watson and Steinberg (tend to be all-in-ones with consoles)

Offline imkuk

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 03:11:54 PM »
Thanks all to those who have replied and pretty darn quickly too  [tup]

The suggestions seem like good options, though I have read mixed reviews about Ecowitt systems. I am guessing here though, it is probably the best of the options available at this budget. I think I am leaning towards taking the punt...

Thanks again

Ian

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 05:35:06 PM »
Thanks all to those who have replied and pretty darn quickly too  [tup]

The suggestions seem like good options, though I have read mixed reviews about Ecowitt systems. I am guessing here though, it is probably the best of the options available at this budget. I think I am leaning towards taking the punt...

Thanks again

Ian
It's all about the price bracket. Davis systems are undoubtedly better but more than your budget unless you go second hand or refurbished

I like many went for Ecowitt because they seem to be a step above the cheap and cheerful but not as pricey as Davis and give you plenty of options for sensors and all-in-one vs separate components

Where you are intending to place your station is probably just as important a factor. You could have a Davis station but place it poorly

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 04:41:46 AM »
I don't think you can go too wrong by choosing the Ecowitt ecosystem.
They have budget options and more pricier sensors/systems depending on your pocket.
Each year they develop and enhance their systems and slowly moving up the tree towards Davis in terms of quality and as for customer support and involvement they are fantastic.
One could argue that some of the Ecowitt kit is already technically superior, however they are both fine choices and I am sure you will be happy with whatever you choose.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

anything