Author Topic: WeatherLink on a Removable USB Device?  (Read 1661 times)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
WeatherLink on a Removable USB Device?
« on: January 08, 2009, 01:59:47 PM »
Anyone running  WL off a USB device (SD card, specifically).  Any issues to consider?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline jruys

• Yo
  • Senior Contributor
    • Highlands Ranch Weather
Re: WeatherLink on a Removable USB Device?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 10:12:34 PM »
I am not currently running on a removable card, but I do not see why it would not work.  Everything that you need to run WL is in the WeatherLink folder, and all of the station data is stored in the same folder.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 09:14:44 PM »
I've been running WeatherLink, VWS and Cumulus on a USB external hardrive for the better part of a year now with no problems.  I back them both up to a USB flash drive.
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Kart Racer

• Kart Track Weather Site
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 10:18:27 PM »
Mark would you have the procedure to move Weatherlink from C drive to USB Drive. I tried moving the folder and this does not work. Does anyone know of a way to get it done without starting over?

I've been running WeatherLink, VWS and Cumulus on a USB external hardrive for the better part of a year now with no problems.  I back them both up to a USB flash drive.
Kart Racer

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 11:26:29 PM »
Mark would you have the procedure to move Weatherlink from C drive to USB Drive. I tried moving the folder and this does not work. Does anyone know of a way to get it done without starting over? ....

It's been long enough ago I'm not positive but I may have done an uninstall, moved the remaining WeatherLink folder with the remaining data files to the external drive, then did a reinstall to the external drive.  Before doing that, if you can get WeatherLink to run at all try clicking "File" and "Open Station" and locate your station under the new drive letter.   Also in the internet settings you will have to change your local path for the "test" folder and locations of your .htx files to the new drive letter.

It did prove to be a little quirky to get it and VWS moved over, especially VWS.  I'd long forgotten how many references there were to specific drive locations.  Took me several days before I caught up with all of them and had my web page working fully.  Also after you move them you have to watch when doing any updates as they will try to install the updates into the default setting rather then where you need them to go.

One other note, make sure you have your power setting as such that the USB port does not go into a power save mode while the programs are running.

Above all else make a copy of the WeatherLink folder before doing anything so you can always fall back to your original setup if a major problem develops! 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 11:30:40 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

anything