Author Topic: WU - Let us know your issues  (Read 188225 times)

Offline howardagoldberg

• PWS on Weather Underground
Re: WU - Let us know your issues
« Reply #1525 on: March 28, 2019, 07:04:21 AM »
Confirmed bug since the WU 'refresh.'

To reproduce:

1) Turn off hardware acceleration in Chrome
2) Go to any PWS dashboard page or local forecast page
3) The maps do not load correctly (as per the included screenshot).

The issue can be remedied by turning on hardware acceleration in Chrome.

However ... I have had hardware acceleration turned off in Chrome (Windows 10) for nearly three years due to an issue with the 'insert screenshot' functionality in Office 2016, which I depend on. I have not encountered any other issues with any other website with hardware acceleration in Chrome turned off.

Further, other maps on the WU site - such as "WunderMap" load without issue when hardware acceleration is turned off.

Bottom line - the maps should load regardless of the hardware acceleration setting (which *needs* to be turned off on certain hardware/software configurations). This is a bug at WU's end.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Note: this issue has been confirmed/reproduced by other users in the Weather Underground and Ambient Weather users' groups on Facebook.

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
« Reply #1526 on: March 28, 2019, 07:26:47 AM »
I have a question: Why are you using a random internet forum instead of sending updates to your users or responding to support requests?

OMG, is this project secretly being run by my I.T. department?

:grin:  :grin:   :-)   :-)   :-(   :-(   :eek:   :eek:   :shock:   :shock:   ](*,)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 07:28:24 AM by konz »

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #1527 on: March 28, 2019, 07:54:58 AM »
You must work for a governmental agency   ](*,)
If it's not a Boerboel it's just a dog.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #1528 on: March 28, 2019, 09:30:24 AM »
My Device: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXSPRIN75
I cant access it. When I login I get "Under Maintenance"

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline wxnut99

« Reply #1529 on: March 28, 2019, 10:26:26 AM »
As I posted yesterday with some screen captures, there are numerous issues with the latest WU update of PWS data. IMO, the 2 main priorities to fix are:

1) Display temperature and dewpoint to 0.1C resolution for metric values. This includes graphs and data tables.
2) Bring back rapid fire data updates.  Currently, data is static and there is no time stamp displayed to show when the data is valid for.

These 2 fixes would go a long way to bring back functionality of the old PWS display.   

Offline ambwx1000

« Reply #1530 on: March 28, 2019, 10:34:36 AM »
I have not had time to read the list of issues but I hope someone has mentioned/Complained about the Exclusion of Custom data display under History And the Exclusion of the ability to "Download" my station Data when I created a Custom Table display.  VERY disappointed in the loss of these features.  I can live with the generally Bad new layout but losing access to my past data is a Deal Breaker for me.  I have a small orchard and I was able to use MY tabular data to calculate Degree Days over the last several months.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #1531 on: March 28, 2019, 10:56:23 AM »
.... I can live with the generally Bad new layout but losing access to my past data is a Deal Breaker for me.  I have a small orchard and I was able to use MY tabular data to calculate Degree Days over the last several months.
The data is still there by reviewing historical past month tables one month at a time. The process of saving and utilizing it however appears to be a very unfriendly process.

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #1532 on: March 28, 2019, 10:57:20 AM »
I have not had time to read the list of issues but I hope someone has mentioned/Complained about the Exclusion of Custom data display under History And the Exclusion of the ability to "Download" my station Data when I created a Custom Table display.  VERY disappointed in the loss of these features.  I can live with the generally Bad new layout but losing access to my past data is a Deal Breaker for me.  I have a small orchard and I was able to use MY tabular data to calculate Degree Days over the last several months.
Can't determine what system you're running, but if it's Ambient, you might try https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/dashboard. Data is in 5 minute intervals, but it should all be there. YMMV

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #1533 on: March 28, 2019, 11:06:40 AM »
I'm turning my data feeds off from 2 stations.  If they fix it (get rapid-fire going again) near realtime, can someone post a new thread saying fixed since they never update directly?
I'll be damned if they are going to use my data with the website the way it is now.  I don't need Weather Underground I have a website, it was just a convenience to access my remote station but without rapid-fire I have zero use.
Randy

Offline Bgruver

« Reply #1534 on: March 28, 2019, 11:19:36 AM »
I'm turning my data feeds off from 2 stations.  If they fix it (get rapid-fire going again) near realtime, can someone post a new thread saying fixed since they never update directly?
I'll be damned if they are going to use my data with the website the way it is now.  I don't need Weather Underground I have a website, it was just a convenience to access my remote station but without rapid-fire I have zero use.

Same here. Rapid fire was their big separation from other sites. Now that's gone, no point in using them. If they bring back that feature, I'll return. Otherwise I'll just use PWSweather and CWOP.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1535 on: March 28, 2019, 11:26:21 AM »
Can't determine what system you're running, but if it's Ambient, you might try https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/dashboard. Data is in 5 minute intervals, but it should all be there. YMMV

Yup, ambwx1000 has a WS-1400-IP according to recent post in Dec 2018 and they are publishing to ambientweather.net as they mentioned in a prior post.

For all others, ambientweather.net is not limited to just Ambient stations. If your station is compatible with a Meteobridge (Davis, older Acurite...and some others) you can add the license to publish to ambientweather.net ...or you can just buy a WeatherBridge that has that license already installed. Great benefit of publishing to ambientweather.net is that you gain live Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant voice control of station data.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline vsakalis

« Reply #1536 on: March 28, 2019, 11:31:47 AM »
I become more upset because some of us have PWS conected only with WU. Without WU i have only inner console with no ability to connect with a pc. I hope WU become ok... else it was a big waste of money :-( :-( :-(

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1537 on: March 28, 2019, 11:42:47 AM »
I become more upset because some of us have PWS conected only with WU. Without WU i have only inner console with no ability to connect with a pc. I hope WU become ok... else it was a big waste of money :-( :-( :-(

What kind (brand /model ) weather station do you have? Even if it appears that it is only able to support WU, there are many times ways around that which you may not be aware of, so you could publish to more places with sometimes minimal effort. I publish to 10 different online weather sites and I also save a local copy of data to SQL database. Even if WU gets fixed tomorrow and you are happy again you never know what could happen next, so be prepared and don't put all your eggs in one basket. Which is why I publish to so many places. Plus I find it more enjoyable to utilize the different tools and ways of looking at the data that all the different sites offer. I miss the old WU and I want them to fix it....but because I publish to so many other places it isn't like I really need WU. I do realize how much I relied on WU Rapidfire which has caused me to now consider adding even more to my weather station and I'm starting to look into hosting my own LIVE weather site probably using WeeWx it is able to do a live site (and I think Weather-Display software does also).
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1538 on: March 28, 2019, 12:11:54 PM »

You are all of 2 stations compared to over 300,000 WU stations. Sure you can hope that others feel and do the same as you. But without mobilizing and organizing something larger you are just a 2 station army and maybe you get lucky but probably not in getting others to follow. Because people need to be motivated that there is an end goal of what they are going to win as a group. If you truly want to affect change with a boycott, I would get on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, put up a web page, make a YouTube video, start a petition, etc... even contact local news (never know it might go viral), and impose a deadline of when everyone should shut down the uploads.

But before all that ....step back and evaluate the situation. Did WU say all this is it and this the new WU dashboard and it is here to stay? No they didn't. They clearly said they heard us loud and clear. They are making it a priority to fix these things. They promised to bring back Rapidfire updates, tenths decimal place digits, enable single shot view of data, and something else I think, forgot what it was now. So what are you protesting for? Because they royally screwed up? But they admitted it....so be patient.

Think of it this way. I believe the small team of WU employees (their words that they are small) are hard at work. Perhaps IBM is the culprit and not the small WU team. This reeks of upper management ineptitude. IBM has not dedicated enough resources (people and infrastructure money) into WU. Perhaps this is the best thing to happen to WU. Sometimes something like this big failure is necessary for those in power to realize the mistake they have made. So for that I commend you for speaking out, because you are not just 2 stations or 1 person, but you are now one of many here protesting and displaying your displeasure.

WU has gone through changes over the years and the last time they did a major change it didn't go over well....but I have to admit this time is way worse and the backlash is tremendous. Because of it all I'm being optimistic that IBM will finally give the small WU team what they need (at least give them a bit more than before).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 12:19:01 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #1539 on: March 28, 2019, 12:14:32 PM »
I use WU for easy access to semi-live data from wherever I am.  The data is no longer live.  Rapid Fire sees to be a thing of the past.  The page looks like a child designed it.  None of the problems with the data being displayed have been fixed in three days, so far.  I can't access my devices, station and webcam.  What a "wonderful" ugrade(?).  I understand they had a problem with the daylight savings time switch.  Really?  It's 2019 not 1819.   ](*,)

At this rate I think WU will be like the do-do bird and slowly disappear entirely.

I think I know why "devices" is "under maintenance".  If it wasn't there'd be a major migration out of WU and they'd lose users and data in an avalanche.  Some may be optimistic that IBM will respond properly, but don't hold your breath.  WU has become a real "profit center" for them and I suspect it doesn't get very close to the center.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 12:38:23 PM by awsum140 »

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #1540 on: March 28, 2019, 01:09:00 PM »
My graphs "appear" correct now, Daily summary numbers still off. No rapidfire. Has there been any clue from support about RF implementation soon?

That said, alternate sites to send data with rf support?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Weather Underground PWS KMDNEWWI3

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #1541 on: March 28, 2019, 01:15:57 PM »
So true. However, as I munch on a batch of fresh popcorn, I am of the camp that believes a front facing Wunderground web page is incidental to IBM’s desire to ingest our data into their Big Blue data devouring machine. I would hazzard to guess that any “non station owner” would view the data as “acceptable”, regardless whether the summary values are totaly incorrect. I for one wil continue to leave my little station up and running in hopes that the disparity of the device 5 blocks away (reporting 91f when it’s really only 65f) will be minimized somewhat.

Fresh popcorn anyone?  [tup]

You are all of 2 stations compared to over 300,000 WU stations. Sure you can hope that others feel and do the same as you. But without mobilizing and organizing something larger you are just a 2 station army and maybe you get lucky but probably not in getting others to follow. Because people need to be motivated that there is an end goal of what they are going to win as a group. If you truly want to affect change with a boycott, I would get on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, put up a web page, make a YouTube video, start a petition, etc... even contact local news (never know it might go viral), and impose a deadline of when everyone should shut down the uploads.

But before all that ....step back and evaluate the situation. Did WU say all this is it and this the new WU dashboard and it is here to stay? No they didn't. They clearly said they heard us loud and clear. They are making it a priority to fix these things. They promised to bring back Rapidfire updates, tenths decimal place digits, enable single shot view of data, and something else I think, forgot what it was now. So what are you protesting for? Because they royally screwed up? But they admitted it....so be patient.

Think of it this way. I believe the small team of WU employees (their words that they are small) are hard at work. Perhaps IBM is the culprit and not the small WU team. This reeks of upper management ineptitude. IBM has not dedicated enough resources (people and infrastructure money) into WU. Perhaps this is the best thing to happen to WU. Sometimes something like this big failure is necessary for those in power to realize the mistake they have made. So for that I commend you for speaking out, because you are not just 2 stations or 1 person, but you are now one of many here protesting and displaying your displeasure.

WU has gone through changes over the years and the last time they did a major change it didn't go over well....but I have to admit this time is way worse and the backlash is tremendous. Because of it all I'm being optimistic that IBM will finally give the small WU team what they need (at least give them a bit more than before).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 01:17:57 PM by rormeister »

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #1542 on: March 28, 2019, 01:23:17 PM »
Valentine Weather isn't the only one who has turned their data off to WU. There are many others here who are no longer sending data to them. I turned mine off 3 years ago and have not missed them in the least.

1.  They first turned off WU Photos.
2.  Turned off their NOAA Weather Radio service 2 years ago, which was replaced with something FAR superior, made by your fellow weather hobbyists here on this Forum.
3.  They do NOT perform any QC on their data, given the number of weather stations that send inaccurate data to them. All one has to do is look at their map, and it is quickly noticable what stations are VERY inaccurate, and yet they still exist on the map.
4.  They want YOUR data, so they can profit off of it without you getting ANY credit after you have spent all your hard earned cash, time setting up your weather station, getting it online, etc. So, you get a webpage with your data without ads, because you are providing them with your data. That is no longer a fair trade in my opinion, especially since that data is no longer live coming that you can see from them.
5. If you wish to continue sending data to them, that is your prerogative. Just remember they are making money off of it.

This company is has been slowly signing its own demise for the last several years, and this latest "incident" shows if anything, it is accelerating that, IMHO.

John
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 01:30:44 PM by sacreyweather »
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline mpf148

« Reply #1543 on: March 28, 2019, 01:25:05 PM »
Thanks for monitoring this thread.

I am unable to register my new weather station.   I see the notification on WU.com to expect issues during the week of March 18, but appears service is still out.   When can I expect to be able to register?

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #1544 on: March 28, 2019, 01:28:19 PM »

No offense, but I don't care diddly what others do. Wasn't my intent at all and why I stated I have other options.

Funny you have information I don't. I've not heard a peep from WU on anything, all I see is what's been going on for a week now and a few members saying they promise to fix. If a week isn't enough time to fix this mess what is?
Randy

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #1545 on: March 28, 2019, 01:45:59 PM »
Nor do I care diddly about what others do.  Remember the band played until the Titanic sank.

If you think it's going to be fixed in a week you're truly an optimist.  Consider the amount of time spent putting this "upgrade" together, the lines of code involved and the finger pointing and ducking that go on in a large, corporate environment like IBM.  It'll take a week for them to even admit there are problems let alone start to look at where the problems are.

My speculation for the reason "devices" is off line was meant as a sarcastic, speculative, comment regarding the overall performance of the team involved in WU not on based on any specific knowledge.  The idea that it has become a profit center for IBM is based on years of working in a corporate environment and knowing that "dollar is king".  If WU doesn't produce dollars it won't get much in the way of support until it withers and dies a slow, ugly, death.  That is reality.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1546 on: March 28, 2019, 01:47:08 PM »

Funny you have information I don't. I've not heard a peep from WU on anything, all I see is what's been going on for a week now and a few members saying they promise to fix. If a week isn't enough time to fix this mess what is?
I don't have any special information...

But I guess you missed the posts in this thread from the very WU employees. There have been several messages in this past week. The last one being from yesterday where they said they are working on things and monitoring this thread.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=33651.msg374374#msg374374

Then there is this message from 2 days ago where they promised to fix the issues brought up in the next few days. You haven't even given them a week. The new WU hasn't even been up a week.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=33651.msg374176#msg374176

I'm already seeing changes. It started off with no metric units. Now we have metric (although still needs work as it is metric but still says imperial as the units).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 09:01:38 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1547 on: March 28, 2019, 01:56:26 PM »
No rapidfire. Has there been any clue from support about RF implementation soon?

That said, alternate sites to send data with rf support?

Yes WU said 2 days ago to give them a few days and that Rapidfire was coming back. There are no other weather services that support Rapidfire like LIVE data. That was the one special defining difference why I loved WU as nobody else has it. Well there is one exception...AWEKAS allows 30 second updates if you pay for it which they call Fastlink. The free AWEKAS is limited to 5 minute uploads. But those aren't your only options. WeeWx is capable of Live 2 second updates to your own hosted website and I think maybe Weather-Display does too.

But there are several weather sites that allow 1 minute uploads....but I wouldn't qualify those as LIVE....AmbientWeather.net, WeatherCloud, PWSweather, WindGuru. Of these I just listed only AmbientWeather.net is free for the 1 minute upload (and not limited to just Ambient hardware if you have a Meteobridge or WeatherBridge).

EDIT: oh I forgot Ecowitt.net also has 1 minute uploads free. But you need compatible Ecowitt hardware which can also be Ambient stuff (at least for now).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 02:11:14 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline wxnut99

« Reply #1548 on: March 28, 2019, 01:59:52 PM »

I certainly hope what you say is true and that WU realizes the importance of these issues to the weather observing community. My concern is that this update was released at all with such glaring issues. There are things that should have easily been identified as problems before it went live. That doesn't inspire me with a lot of confidence that WU developers or management truly realize what the needs and wants of its PWS users are. To me, it looks like this release wasn't at all properly tested or vetted for user feedback to get it ready for prime time. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 05:44:37 PM by wxnut99 »

Offline Mike Fitz

« Reply #1549 on: March 28, 2019, 02:07:43 PM »
Something like the Trello board WU had previously set up would be handy again to divide up and list the various bugs/enhancements and provide updates but it seems they shut that down. Right now it's just a mess of various complaints being thrown out over and over again by different folks for the same issues and no way to track the priorities of what's being worked on and what should be/is fixed. It would be nice to see a list of identified bugs/enhancements being worked and the status.

anything