Author Topic: IBM forecast model  (Read 1342 times)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Re: IBM forecast model
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 08:53:33 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, it's vaporware until they release it "later in 2019". And since they are focusing on S. America and Africa, and it's still not clear where the model output will be available to the public,  it's all still a moot point.

I hope they figure out how to ignore all of the bad data in their "data from millions of weather stations across the globe, many owned by private weather enthusiasts who buy and maintain the equipment themselves".

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 10:33:07 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, it's vaporware until they release it "later in 2019". And since they are focusing on S. America and Africa, and it's still not clear where the model output will be available to the public,  it's all still a moot point.

I hope they figure out how to ignore all of the bad data in their "data from millions of weather stations across the globe, many owned by private weather enthusiasts who buy and maintain the equipment themselves".

I agree with you, Sloweather, plus I would not trust anything from IBM/TWC/WU anyways. I also doubt they will ignore that bad data they collect, since they most likely sell it to others for their profit for them, since so many upload it to them for "free". IBM/TWC/WU will never get a byte of my data ever again because of their lack of quality control on said data.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 12:09:43 PM »
I'll give them a WU gold star for the effort.....  :lol:
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 12:40:36 PM »
You see what IBM is doing. Purchased WU so they could get worldwide weather data and are going to turn around and sell the information as commercial unlike what NOAA does with the CWOP data used by the HRRR models, all are free of charge.
Randy

anything