Author Topic: OS RT-918 Repeater?  (Read 8514 times)

Offline port1

• Forecaster
OS RT-918 Repeater?
« on: June 28, 2009, 02:41:07 PM »
 :?: Does anyone have experience with the OS 918 repeater?
I want to use it on channel three of my WMR 968 with the THGR122NX because of the sensors low transmitting range.
Will it work? :-)
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
Re: OS RT-918 Repeater?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 03:22:37 PM »
  I have been thinking of getting this repeater also for the same reason.  I have done a search on Google and read several descriptions and I have never read anything that would lead me to think it would not work.  From the descriptions that I have read it makes it possible to double the usual 300 feet.  At www.innovationhouse.com/products/os_rt918.html  I read that it works with all current wireless weather stations.
I will be following the replies.
Mark
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 03:26:50 PM by Downlinerz2 »

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 03:45:44 PM »
 I have been thinking of getting this repeater also for the same reason.  I have done a search on Google and read several descriptions and I have never read anything that would lead me to think it would not work.  From the descriptions that I have read it makes it possible to double the usual 300 feet.  At www.innovationhouse.com/products/os_rt918.html  I read that it works with all current wireless weather stations.
I will be following the replies.
Mark

:grin:  I'll keep you posted.  I won't be installing until next weekend though, at the earliest, in between the fireworks!  8-)
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 09:14:50 PM »
Port1,
   I want to welcome you to the forum :!: =D> \:D/  There is not another forum on the Web that is as informative and friendly as this one.  No one ever makes you feel like a dummy for asking a question.  I have been on quite a few forums and this is the only one I use regularly.  I will almost always come to this forum first rather than go to another forum.  Goof luck and I will be looking for you on the forum!! UU
Mark

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 07:20:07 AM »
Port1,
   I want to welcome you to the forum :!: =D> \:D/  There is not another forum on the Web that is as informative and friendly as this one.  No one ever makes you feel like a dummy for asking a question.  I have been on quite a few forums and this is the only one I use regularly.  I will almost always come to this forum first rather than go to another forum.  Goof luck and I will be looking for you on the forum!! UU
Mark

=D> Thanks!  I noticed the friendliness right away, and that's why I joined up.
I'm looking forward to chatting with everyone.  Great!  :-D UU
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline unclemoosh

• Geaux Saints!
    • Frances' Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 10:12:14 AM »
From the research that I have done, I cannot find where the RT918 is compatible with the THGR122NX.  The OS website doesn't show that it is, nor does the user manual. 

Has anyone used these two together successfully???

Offline quasarba

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 11:05:22 AM »
From the research that I have done, I cannot find where the RT918 is compatible with the THGR122NX.  The OS website doesn't show that it is, nor does the user manual. 

Has anyone used these two together successfully???

I don't have one but the sensor compatibility chart shows it to have both 1.0 and 2.1 protocol and the 968 and 122nx are 2.1 protocol so I would assume it will work.

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 06:39:55 PM »
 :?: Well I agree the Owner's Manuals and other info don't exactly state compatibility, but I'm taking a gamble to see if it pays off.
I don't think the research info is updated, and I didn't feel like calling OS directly to ask (have you every called them...not fun).
I'll keep you all posted.  Based on the communication protocols, I think it will work. :-)
Wish me luck!
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline kasia

WMR200 - increase signal, RT918??
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 11:26:37 AM »
Hello all,

At the begining I want to introduce myself - my name is Tom and and live in Poland. I'm quite "green" about wheather stations but I found your forum - my only last chance to solve problem with WMR200.

I have bought that station few days ago and I have terrible problems with keep signals form sensor (mailny rain gauge and wind sensor). For details I must notice that I use WMR200 in office (equipped with some IT stuff - WiFi routers, modems, computers, servers etc.). Office is located at 1st floor but whole external buliding facade has steel constructions.

I located main unit of WMR at the wall of server room, rain gauge is located at the lower roof (max 10m from unit), wind sensor and ext temp. sensor is on the higher roof (about 20-25m form unit, few meters form AC units).

Rain gauge lost signal very often, seems like sensor turned off if has no activity (I mean that there no rain since last weeks). At first day wind sensor works not good but currently totally lost singal. Ext. temp. was a little better (from time to time main unit shows values).

I tried to do some copper wire mod but wtihout any effects. Yesterday I have found info about RT918 repater but first I'm not shure that it will be work with WMR200 and secondly: almost all online shops shows informations that product is unavaible :(

I'm very sad because I don't have any idea what else I should try - so I ask you about help me to solve problem. Could you tell me that RT918 will work with my weather station, maybe you discovered other solutions to improve radio signals - please help me if you can.

Oregon have not officially subsidary in my country, so you are my last hope.

Best regards
Tom

Offline quasarba

Re: WMR200 - increase signal, RT918??
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 04:35:56 PM »
Hello all,

At the begining I want to introduce myself - my name is Tom and and live in Poland. I'm quite "green" about wheather stations but I found your forum - my only last chance to solve problem with WMR200.

I have bought that station few days ago and I have terrible problems with keep signals form sensor (mailny rain gauge and wind sensor). For details I must notice that I use WMR200 in office (equipped with some IT stuff - WiFi routers, modems, computers, servers etc.). Office is located at 1st floor but whole external buliding facade has steel constructions.

I located main unit of WMR at the wall of server room, rain gauge is located at the lower roof (max 10m from unit), wind sensor and ext temp. sensor is on the higher roof (about 20-25m form unit, few meters form AC units).

Rain gauge lost signal very often, seems like sensor turned off if has no activity (I mean that there no rain since last weeks). At first day wind sensor works not good but currently totally lost singal. Ext. temp. was a little better (from time to time main unit shows values).

I tried to do some copper wire mod but wtihout any effects. Yesterday I have found info about RT918 repater but first I'm not shure that it will be work with WMR200 and secondly: almost all online shops shows informations that product is unavaible :(

I'm very sad because I don't have any idea what else I should try - so I ask you about help me to solve problem. Could you tell me that RT918 will work with my weather station, maybe you discovered other solutions to improve radio signals - please help me if you can.

Oregon have not officially subsidary in my country, so you are my last hope.

Best regards
Tom

The RT918 repeater will NOT work with the WMR200, it is 3.0 protocol. The RT918 is 1.0 & 2.1 only.

Sounds like you may be too far away and maybe interference. Move the console closesr to window or outside wall. I can only be about 50ft.(15m) away after going through 2 or 3 walls. And thats with a supposed 300 foot range!

Offline kasia

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 05:11:42 PM »
Any chance to improve antenna signal?

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 05:55:36 PM »
Tom:
In my opinion, you have multiple problems with radio frequency signals there, based on your information below:

"I have bought that station few days ago and I have terrible problems with keep signals form sensor (mailny rain gauge and wind sensor). For details I must notice that I use WMR200 in office (equipped with some IT stuff - WiFi routers, modems, computers, servers etc.). Office is located at 1st floor but whole external buliding facade has steel constructions.

I located main unit of WMR at the wall of server room, rain gauge is located at the lower roof (max 10m from unit), wind sensor and ext temp. sensor is on the higher roof (about 20-25m form unit, few meters form AC units)."

All that stuff produces electrical noise and interference.

Also, the big clue:
"All external building facade had steel construction"  That blocks RF signals!

You should either try to orient everything so you have "line of sight" transmission through a window, or try a hard-wired solution.

You can also call the manufacturer of your weather station and speak with customer service to see if a conversation with details may reveal some info you have missed here.  Don't surrender unless you have no choice!
Good luck.
I know firsthand setups are so, so frustrating.  #-o :-( :-x
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 04:36:15 AM »
Still waiting for the THGR122NX to arrive from the manufacturer.
Won't be coming until Monday, so I'll be playing with it next week.
I'll keep you posted. :-)
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline unclemoosh

• Geaux Saints!
    • Frances' Weather
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 10:28:09 AM »
Any chance to improve antenna signal?

I improved the reception on my WMR968 by adding what I believe would be considered a close coupled antenna.

I took a piece of 8 gauge bare copper wire 4 times the length of the base unit's antenna.  I then used heat shrink tubing to atttach the wire to the antenna and to make it look presentable.  The result was a THWX122NX that was intermittent at 120' is now very stable.

I would attach a picture, but it's at my place in the country and I am 150 miles away at work  :-( :-( :-(

YMMV.

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 06:52:50 PM »
Hmmm....interesting.  ;)
I'd like to see your setup of the antenna.
8 gauge is heavy stuff.
I wish I could see a picture of what you did.

You just attached it straight to the console antenna?
Did you wrap it around the console antenna (not easy!)?  :?:
Four times the length?

So the overall length is now five console antennas total, or four because one fourth of your copper is attached to the console antenna?

Heat shrink too...clever and makes it all presentable.
I'd be willing to try this!  :grin:
Sounds like a great idea  8-)
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline unclemoosh

• Geaux Saints!
    • Frances' Weather
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 08:10:59 PM »
Hmmm....interesting.  ;)
I'd like to see your setup of the antenna.
8 gauge is heavy stuff.
I wish I could see a picture of what you did.

You just attached it straight to the console antenna?
Did you wrap it around the console antenna (not easy!)?  :?:
Four times the length?

So the overall length is now five console antennas total, or four because one fourth of your copper is attached to the console antenna?

Heat shrink too...clever and makes it all presentable.
I'd be willing to try this!  :grin:
Sounds like a great idea  8-)

You can make it any multiple of the length of your antenna.  You don't add it to the end of your antenna, you put it along side of your existing antenna so it will couple with your antenna.  If you use four times the length of your antenna, the overall length would be three times.  I won't be back in the country until the weekend to be able to post a picture.  I used 8 gauge because I had it on hand and it was sturdy.  You can buy it by the foot at the big box home improvement stores.  You could use a smaller gauge but I wouldn't go too small.

I used larger heat shrink tubing to go around both the wire and antenna, and smaller to go around just the wire.  I started at the top and overlapped as I went down.  It really looks pretty good!

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 08:20:26 PM »
 :grin:
That's cool!  8-)
I'm going to try it!
I'll add a circular loop on top to prevent me from poking myself!  #-o
I'll keep the lengths/dimensions you suggest.
It really worked for you, eh?
Nice! :grin: :?:
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline kasia

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 02:20:37 AM »
Thank you very much for advices!

I was experimented with change of locations main unit and sensor. Finally I found place where WMR 200 works fine - I must tell you that I was very suprised because now distance between unit and sensor is over 50 meters but it works! External temperature sensor loose signal form time to time but after a while connection is self restoring.

The key was port1 suggestion:
orient everything so you have "line of sight" transmission through a window

Thank you for help! Now I had another case with Weather OS software (but I describe it in new post).

Offline unclemoosh

• Geaux Saints!
    • Frances' Weather
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2009, 02:58:15 PM »

I improved the reception on my WMR968 by adding what I believe would be considered a close coupled antenna.

I took a piece of 8 gauge bare copper wire 4 times the length of the base unit's antenna.  I then used heat shrink tubing to atttach the wire to the antenna and to make it look presentable.  The result was a THWX122NX that was intermittent at 120' is now very stable.

I would attach a picture, but it's at my place in the country and I am 150 miles away at work  :-( :-( :-(

YMMV.

Here's a couple of pix.

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 04:34:01 PM »
 :grin:  I like it...and not complicated.
I have some 8AWG solid copper left over from the grounding of my weather station roof tripod, and will give this a try.
Very nice of you to send those photos.
Thanks!  :-)

That's a great idea now that I can't get the RT-918 repeater to communicate with my THGR122NX.
I tried all sorts of dip switch combinations, but the repeater eventually timed out and produced the yellow LED, indicating no match.
Frustrating.
Perhaps someone out there knows the DIP switch settings to be compatible with the THGR122NX?
I don't intend to surrender, though.
I believe, based on the communication protocols, that the repeater will eventually link up with the THGR122NX...I just have to find the correct settings. 8-)
Trial and error, with lots of spare time. ](*,)

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline unclemoosh

• Geaux Saints!
    • Frances' Weather
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 05:25:18 PM »
I have some 8AWG solid copper left over from the grounding of my weather station roof tripod, and will give this a try.

I had it left over from grounding an electrical panel.  I bet many folks have a little piece of 8AWG laying around.   8-)

Offline quasarba

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2009, 02:33:34 PM »
Very nice of you to send those photos.
Thanks!  :-)

That's a great idea now that I can't get the RT-918 repeater to communicate with my THGR122NX.
I tried all sorts of dip switch combinations, but the repeater eventually timed out and produced the yellow LED, indicating no match.
Frustrating.
Perhaps someone out there knows the DIP switch settings to be compatible with the THGR122NX?
I don't intend to surrender, though.
I believe, based on the communication protocols, that the repeater will eventually link up with the THGR122NX...I just have to find the correct settings. 8-)
Trial and error, with lots of spare time. ](*,)

Henry

The settings for the THGR268 didn't work? That is going to be the closest to the 122. Each of the three channels has a different setting also? Let me know if you can't get it to work and want to get rid of it, I may be interested.

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2009, 03:45:39 PM »
I'll double check, and let you know.
Wish me luck  [-o<

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2009, 06:55:27 PM »
 :-(  Nope!
Doesn't link up.
I've written to the sales department of OS to ask for the DIP switch settings.
This request will need more luck!
Hope they respond.
From what I've read in the forums, OS technical support is nothing to brag about.
I'm still optimistic though.  :-|

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline tomwxman

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2009, 03:15:38 PM »
I've written to the sales department of OS to ask for the DIP switch settings.
Good luck with that!!!  :oops:

What channel do you want your THGR122NX to operate on? I would make sure first to select a clear channel, then I would try every one of the settings in the RT-918 manual (there are three different possibilities for each of channels 1-2-3). So you'd have to go thru the reset-sensor, reset-918 three times for each of the three different dipswitch possibilities for the channel you chose.  :shock: