Author Topic: VP2 with CoCoRaHS  (Read 2331 times)

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
VP2 with CoCoRaHS
« on: August 11, 2021, 08:42:15 PM »
Installed a spare CoCoRaHS gauge I had to check the accuracy of the gauge I use (wondering if it is too close to a tree), and to be able to compare it with the VP2 gauge. Recently the difference in measured amounts in the VP2 and CoCoRaHS gauge have increased from .01 to .03". (CoCo is less every time)

Should be interesting to see what data I get. I never use the auto VP2 for my CoCo reports, and I will continue to use the official gauge as I run my little experiment.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline WI1SKY

Re: VP2 with CoCoRaHS
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 12:08:37 PM »
For what it is worth, my Stratus gauge for CoCoRaHS is consistently less than the VP2 single spoon.   For instance, yesterday it was 1.72 vs 1.84.  Typically it is about .06/inch less.

Offline racer3

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 12:43:11 PM »
Same here. My stratus is always less than VP2 single spoon.

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 05:20:56 PM »
I was seeing .01" less per event in the CoCoRaHS gauge compared to the VP2 tipping spoon. Pretty consistently. Now I am seeing .03" difference and I am thinking that the ash tree is making its presence known to the south. Last two rains have come from that direction. Anyway, placing the spare CoCo out by the VP2 may show me something. Might be time to position my official CoCo out there as well.

Now I have to hope that this little experiment won't curse precip chances. The weather gods have a strange sense of humor with this sort of thing.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 08:18:05 PM »
oddly mine match up.   I must have the luck of the draw.

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2021, 10:41:58 PM »
Nice looking setup there!

tweatherman

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2021, 11:01:02 PM »
The difference needs to be as a % otherwise it's not all that meaningful when making comparisons with the variable nature of any tipping spoon/bucket system and the stated accuracy relative to irregular and changing rain rates.   

anything