Author Topic: New VP2 Pro Plus with FARS in Oregon  (Read 2830 times)

Offline cedarridgewx

New VP2 Pro Plus with FARS in Oregon
« on: June 17, 2019, 04:06:27 PM »
New station install...
House location not great so had to get creative. Best place for the ISS would have been on the roof, but didnt want to get crazy temp readings...so placed the ISS in the front garden, nicely hidden next to the house!
Website and all the rest coming soon....

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 24-FARS Wireless
Portland, OR, USA

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: New VP2 Pro Plus with FARS in Oregon
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 04:15:24 PM »
Best place for the ISS would have been on the roof, but didnt want to get crazy temp readings..
Not only no, but hell no, and not just for the temp. Your current setup will serve you a thousand times better. My only concern is that your bucket is not high enough over the top of the fence and will certainly over report from addition splash in. If you can get it another 6" or so higher it'll be fine.

Offline cedarridgewx

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 04:41:14 PM »
I am trying to still have it a little hidden from the neighbors as literally anyone can walk there and just take it....which hopefully will not happen!
believe it or not Davis team in CA advised me to place it on the roof saying they have a few on the roof also!
Portland, OR, USA

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 04:46:19 PM »

believe it or not Davis team in CA advised me to place it on the roof saying they have a few on the roof also!
Incredible... :roll:

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 04:58:07 PM »
Do what you gotta do but that brown wood fence will surely heat up above actual temperature if in direct sunlight.
Randy

Offline cedarridgewx

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 04:59:46 PM »
Do what you gotta do but that brown wood fence will surely heat up above actual temperature if in direct sunlight.

would moving it away from the fence help? not up but away? if so...by how much should I move it?
Portland, OR, USA

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 05:02:38 PM »
Very nice! Congrats!

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 05:22:12 PM »

would moving it away from the fence help? not up but away? if so...by how much should I move it?

Absolutely, any heat source the further away the better.  Residential areas can be a challenge finding the ideal location, and many times impossible. 
High mounts above roof 6' +  may give the best temperature readings if the yard is small and enclosed with fencing. If you did that, I would get a standalone rain gauge however, rain gauges need to be close to the ground and out of the wind.
Randy

Offline cedarridgewx

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 05:28:01 PM »

Absolutely, any heat source the further away the better.  Residential areas can be a challenge finding the ideal location, and many times impossible. 
High mounts above roof 6' +  may give the best temperature readings if the yard is small and enclosed with fencing. If you did that, I would get a standalone rain gauge however, rain gauges need to be close to the ground and out of the wind.

Thanks. Will FARS not help with temperature reading?

Not very far from ground and certainly nicely protected!
Portland, OR, USA

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 07:06:21 PM »
FARS is always better if you experience low wind speeds but can't artificially cool the existing air.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 09:08:57 PM »

Moving it away from the fence will not only help solve any potential radiated heat problem, but also fix the bucket issue as well...just leave it off the roof.

Offline cedarridgewx

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 09:24:04 PM »

Moving it away from the fence will not only help solve any potential radiated heat problem, but also fix the bucket issue as well...just leave it off the roof.

I am new to this...whats the bucket issue?
Portland, OR, USA

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2019, 09:31:30 PM »

Ummm, I know I'm completely forgettable, but it was my first reply...

Offline cedarridgewx

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2019, 10:19:14 PM »

Yes... No idea what a splash in is.... are you saying that the rain will splash from the fence into the bucket?
Portland, OR, USA

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2019, 10:44:13 PM »

Yes... No idea what a splash in is.... are you saying that the rain will splash from the fence into the bucket?
Exactly, especially if it's a heavier event.

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2019, 07:18:41 AM »
Fences can also create updrafts which can artificially decrease the amount of rain you collect.

From CoCoRaHS training
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2019, 10:10:18 AM »
CWOP Siting guidelines. The first link is more comprehensive, the second is a simple guide for siting do's and don'ts.

1) https://weather.gladstonefamily.net/CWOP_Guide.pdf
2) https://www.weather.gov/media/epz/mesonet/CWOP-Siting.pdf
Randy

Offline cedarridgewx

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2019, 11:09:07 AM »
so from a different perspective....this is the current set up.
What I think I am hearing everyone suggest is to move it to the middle of this area, right?
Also, if I go middle I think I will keep the height.
Thanks,
Paolo
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Portland, OR, USA

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2019, 11:34:57 AM »
Nice house but not much of a yard. You can just experiment and see what works best if that's all you have to work with. Those rock walls will radiate and hold more heat than the fence most likely. Ideally, a totally new location away from heat sources is the best bet.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 11:36:33 AM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline cedarridgewx

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2019, 11:49:20 AM »
Nice house but not much of a yard. You can just experiment and see what works best if that's all you have to work with. Those rock walls will radiate and hold more heat than the fence most likely. Ideally, a totally new location away from heat sources is the best bet.

hahaha. that is not the yard. Issue with the yard is that its too secluded with very high trees on one side and house on the other...so not much sun during the day....
thats my issue...
best would be on the roof but that will not happen...
so the area where its now is the best possible solution. I just need to find best placement for it.
Maybe just 1-2 feet up from where it is now?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Portland, OR, USA

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2019, 12:50:07 PM »
Here in Arid-zona, anything THAT green would be questioned as being Astro-turf™  ;)
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2019, 03:53:26 PM »
Sun IS the issue... You do not want to be near anything that will retain heat like walls, dark objects.. The best place would be right over that grass patch you have, ~ 5 ft about that surface.....

Jim

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2019, 03:54:16 PM »

hahaha. that is not the yard. Issue with the yard is that its too secluded with very high trees on one side and house on the other...so not much sun during the day....
thats my issue...
best would be on the roof but that will not happen...
so the area where its now is the best possible solution. I just need to find best placement for it.
Maybe just 1-2 feet up from where it is now?

Honestly, at least temp wise, somewhere over that lovely grass maybe 6ish feet or so from the fence would be best. Your rain may be compromised at times, but it's usually just that for PWS owners, a compromise. You can always put a manual rain gauge away from the ISS and use that as your "official" reading, if you've got a better place for it.

Offline cedarridgewx

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2019, 04:30:27 PM »
The thinking behind current location was that it would be best compromise between temp, solar, UV and rain....
That garden gets very little sun....
Portland, OR, USA

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2019, 05:13:02 PM »
My backyard isn't much better so have station off the deck as a compromise because it has the best chance of receiving correct rainfall also receives the most sun. This is for personal use only.
My real station pictured below reports weather conditions for CWOP and website is located in open field.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 05:14:35 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy