Author Topic: My La Crosse Technology S84060 Install Pics  (Read 5288 times)

Offline AdkManUpstateNY

My La Crosse Technology S84060 Install Pics
« on: May 17, 2019, 01:16:59 AM »
These are some before pics. I have been renting and living in the entire upstairs to this building for the last 5.5 years now. Building changed owners about 2.5 yrs ago. The previous owner ran a construction business and his office was located on the first floor. He left behind a 2" diameter, mounted galvanized steel pole which I estimate was about 10-11' long...topped with what I am thinking was a CB antenna. Look for it just above the peak of the roof in these two pics. Last pic with the steel pole and antenna removed.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 01:21:10 AM by AdkManUpstateNY »
La Crosse Technology S84060 *Currently on WU*
AcuRite 00386SDI

Offline AdkManUpstateNY

Re: My La Crosse Technology S84060 Install Pics
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 01:36:15 AM »
I mounted the multi sensor unit (wind anemometer, wind vane, and rainfall collector) first on a cut block of pressure treated lumber. Drilled holes through this block to attach it to the 10' x 1" two piece galvanized steel pole with two stainless steel U bolts. I then adjusted the provided plastic post mount so I could mount it to the cut wood block with the included wood screws. Very sturdy mount when I completed this! See pics.

AcuRite 00386SDI

Offline AdkManUpstateNY

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 02:03:03 AM »
I utilized the large U bolt that was used to tie the old 2" diameter galvanized steel pipe to the side of the roof. I still need to sturdy up the very bottom of my 10' x 1" galvanized steel pole some...but it isn't going anywhere  ;)  As best as I can determine, by taking the most accurate measurements I could, the anemometer sits at 29' above ground level (+/- a few inches) \:D/  And close to 3' above the peak of the metal roof and just off to the side. No worries about faulty outdoor temperature readings radiating from the roof because those come from the separate humidity/temperature sensor unit I have mounted elsewhere outside.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 01:49:40 PM by AdkManUpstateNY »
AcuRite 00386SDI

Offline AdkManUpstateNY

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 11:01:51 AM »
AcuRite 00386SDI

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 03:12:08 PM »
Thanks for posting. It's always fun seeing other peoples installations.

The old antenna looks too small to be CB, maybe a vhf or uhf ham antenna or something commercial for the previous construction business.

Offline AdkManUpstateNY

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 11:04:12 PM »
Thanks Jim_S

I'm sure he used it to help keep in contact with his work crews for his construction business.
AcuRite 00386SDI

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 01:13:01 AM »
Nice! Congrats!

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline AdkManUpstateNY

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 12:45:31 PM »
Nice! Congrats!

Thanks txweather.org!!
AcuRite 00386SDI

Offline AdkManUpstateNY

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 09:08:16 PM »
Just the other day on the opposite side of the building, I mounted my Sky & Weather Cam. Just a cheap Wyze Cam (V2). It's a 1080P WiFi cam that will also take short 12 second videos when it detects motion within an area of your choosing. You can also fine tune the sensitivity of the motion detection area. There's an app for your cellphone to monitor the live view...or record video on an SD micro memory card, or take snapshots. You can also get the live video feed on your computer with flashing the cam's firmware with a new beta firmware. It's really not an outdoor camera, but I bought a protective housing/mount which nearly protects the entire camera from the elements. The lens is exposed and uncovered. But I have it mounted beneath a good sized eve of the roof. It rained all day today and managed to remain perfectly dry. It's field of view is basically centered facing WNW and the cam has a 110 degree wide angle lens. Should get some nice sunsets, lightning, and I'm really hoping to someday get video of an incoming meteor/fireball some night  :grin:

« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 01:03:27 AM by AdkManUpstateNY »
AcuRite 00386SDI

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 12:34:16 PM »
Great setup! Wyze makes some really nice cams. I have two pans in two different locations. They work amazingly well.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline AdkManUpstateNY

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 08:12:03 PM »
My son captured this curious gray squirrel out through his bedroom window. The main 10' galvanized steel pole for the mounting of the multi sensor is seen to the right  :grin:

AcuRite 00386SDI

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 08:46:19 PM »
Looks great! Hopefully that squirrel doesn't try to climb all the way up it, lol.

Just a thought, do you have anything to keep the pole from rotating, or is it secured tight enough to not rotate in really strong wind? Had that issue with my VP2 attached to a 20ft pole, noticed it was rotating after a week or so. I drilled a hole through the pole and drove a 8" long 1/2" wide lag bolt through it into the fence post it's attached to.

Offline AdkManUpstateNY

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 09:25:38 PM »
Looks great! Hopefully that squirrel doesn't try to climb all the way up it, lol.

Just a thought, do you have anything to keep the pole from rotating, or is it secured tight enough to not rotate in really strong wind? Had that issue with my VP2 attached to a 20ft pole, noticed it was rotating after a week or so. I drilled a hole through the pole and drove a 8" long 1/2" wide lag bolt through it into the fence post it's attached to.

Thanks lightmaster  :grin: I don't think the gray squirrel could shimmy up that steel pole...or at least I hope not!  :lol:

As far as the 10' pole rotating...it has not, yet. You can see I utilized that large U bolt that held the old pole I tore down, to the fascia board along the roof line. It's clamped down very tight there. And the steel coupler piece you see in the squirrel pic (and others) is located at the mid point or 5'. I had to have it cut in half at the Home Depot store where I bought it so I could transport it home inside my car. That coupler piece would never be able to slide through that large U bolt. The bottom part of the 10' steel pole for now just rests on the metal roof...just as the old one I tore down used to. I need to come up with a more secure method to ensure it will never move or shift. That green wooden structure that you see the gray squirrel sitting on was there and the old pole used to be contained inside of that green boxed structure, but not securely nor was that old pole ever "plumb". It rested at an angle. The green wooden structure is very weak, wobbles where it was poorly attached to the side of the building, and is rotting out. For now my 10' steel pole just rests against it where it just "sits" nearly plumb. The wind anemometer, wind vane and rain collector unit has thus far remained stationary without any spin in wind gusts to 30 MPH and sustained wind speeds BETWEEN that and 25 MPH+. But I do need to attach it more securely very soon.   
AcuRite 00386SDI

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 11:33:49 PM »
When you do secure it tighter, you can use a sharpie or better, a Dremel, to make a line across the couplers and over the ubolts so you can always tell if its moved or not. Also helps to be able to easily realign north when you take it down for cleanings.

Another thing of note is that it's really high up, and I'm sure would make an excellent bird perch or nest. If it ever stops detecting rain, I'd immediately suspect that a bird has left presents for you in there. You can get some metal bird spikes meant for the VP2 for just a couple dollars and use all weather (non organic, don't want it to mold) hot glue to secure them around the rain funnel, should keep birds from landing on it and using it as a toilet or nest.

I just had to deal with birds sitting at the top of my pole near the anemometer and bird poop falling all the way down into the funnel on top the station. Not a fun thing to clean up and not something I'd want someone else to have to deal with either. Hot glued bird spikes at the top of the pole has worked so far... *fingers crossed*

Offline AdkManUpstateNY

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 12:53:59 AM »
Solar radiation shield I'm working on to house the digital temperature and humidity sensor unit  :grin: These are just dry fit pics and I still need to cut out "squares" in either two or the final three bowls to accommodate the sensor unit. And finish up with the mounting bracket on top...and cutting a few more needed "spacers". The finished shield should top out at around 12" in height including the mounting bracket hardware. Water bottle included in pics for size reference.

AcuRite 00386SDI

Offline AdkManUpstateNY

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2019, 09:20:32 PM »
Yesterday I strengthened up the 10' galvanized steel pole which holds the wind anemometer, wind vane, and rain collector unit. Nothing fancy or too obtrusive...since I only rent the upstairs apartment. I simply braced it up with a board which was wood screwed up against and to the outside window casing, and a stainless steel U-bolt attached on the end to clamp down the pole to make it super sturdy. I feel much more at ease getting it secured better.

AcuRite 00386SDI

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2019, 09:44:12 PM »
Looking good! When are you gonna get your bowl radiation shield up?

EDIT: NVM, found your other post.

Offline AdkManUpstateNY

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2019, 09:50:08 PM »
Looking good! When are you gonna get your bowl radiation shield up?

EDIT: NVM, found your other post.

Glad you found it. I was going to post those solar radiation shield pics here. I still plan to. What do you think of it lightmaster?
AcuRite 00386SDI

Offline AdkManUpstateNY

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2019, 10:12:11 PM »
The solar radiation shield was a fun project until it came time to cut the square openings in these Melamine hard plastic bowls. I decided to only leave the top bowl untouched. I drilled a series of holes to make room for my sabre saw blade, and cutting out these square holes was a chore...at times the plastic shattered  :roll:
To suspend the temperature and humidity sensor unit inside, I simply used plastic coated "twist-tie wires" you get on loaves of bread. I am NOT happy with the strength of the two white shelf brackets I purchased from a hardware store. They bend too easily. I plan on coming up with a more sturdy mounting bracket in time. This solar radiation shield is very sturdy and built strong!!

AcuRite 00386SDI

Offline AdkManUpstateNY

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2019, 10:14:47 PM »
More pics.

AcuRite 00386SDI

Offline AdkManUpstateNY

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2019, 10:19:43 PM »
Since I only rent the upstairs apartment in this building, and the lawn space being quite narrow, I am limited in where I can site this solar radiation shield. I don't dare attempt to sink a wooden post in the middle of the lawn. My older AcuRite 00386SDI outdoor sensor was mounted using a satellite dish mounting arm over 2.5 years ago. I had no other choice but to mount it to a tree. That sensor has performed remarkably well given its close proximity to the road and for being underneath a tree. So I will soon see how this solar radiation shield for the temperature and humidity sensor to my La Crosse weather station performs mounted here. It sits 7' above the lawn. My AcuRite 00386SDI  pictured sits at 8'. *I removed the AcuRite today for the first time in over 2.5 yrs. to install fresh new Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries and to give it a thorough cleaning on the outside. It was quite dirty and weathered on the outside but cleaned up nicely  :grin:

« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 10:26:10 PM by AdkManUpstateNY »
AcuRite 00386SDI

Offline AdkManUpstateNY

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2019, 10:20:40 PM »

AcuRite 00386SDI

Offline LeeWx

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2019, 11:45:13 AM »
Great job !!!

Offline AdkManUpstateNY

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2019, 12:00:43 PM »
AcuRite 00386SDI

Offline AdkManUpstateNY

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2019, 12:55:32 PM »
Updated the mounting brackets which attach to the solar radiation shield. Made from much heavier duty white painted steel and decorative. They are rated for a maximum load of 80 lbs. I also HAD to relocate the entire setup. After a day in which we received 3.29" of rain within 8 hrs I discovered much of that rainwater pooled up on the lawn just 20' away from where I originally had it set up. The solar radiation shield still sits at 7' above the ground, but now the satellite dish mounting arm which holds everything is attached to a larger tree. It is what it is and this is the very best I can do  :-|

AcuRite 00386SDI

anything