Author Topic: 5 in 1 Iris wind direction issue (sticking)  (Read 579 times)

Offline CoyoteRidge

5 in 1 Iris wind direction issue (sticking)
« on: December 10, 2022, 09:15:26 AM »
Had this problem once a few months ago, but it fixed itself.  Over the last few days however, it has happened at least once every day.  My wind direction will lock onto showing wind from the south regardless if the vane is moving or or not.  As the attachment below will show, its not stagnant air and I can manually spin the vane easily but until it decides to fix itself, no matter what direction the vane is pointed, it shows south 180 degrees.
Confirmed by an Ambient unit 10 feet away that there is indeed wind and directional changes during these stuck events.

Anyone have some guesses as to the issue?
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

UPDATE 12/11/22:
Has now stuck permanently apparently - track progress if so inclined https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWABREME77

YAY!

Spun the h3ll out of the direction indicator, smacked the h3ll out of the unit with my hand and a small stick, took it apart to see if there was any contamination or insect issues...  Nope.

Its dead.

This was a replacement 5 in 1 for a unit that lasted a good 5 years solid but eventually called for an updated and newer unit.  Apparently it could only eek out a year and a half.

Debating on if to try to replace this unit with another 5 in 1, return on investment logic says dont, but the head unit it connects with and is compatible with is what works with the software i use to transmit its data where i need it to is the b!tch.

Pending reply form acurite support now.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 03:10:06 PM by CoyoteRidge »

anything