Author Topic: 5n1 Humidity Sensor Replacement  (Read 14332 times)

Offline wxwatching

5n1 Humidity Sensor Replacement
« on: July 05, 2016, 03:20:28 PM »
I own the 5n1 with the 1036 display. The humidity sensor has been giving bad readings for a couple of months but I am about 5 months past the warranty. This is not the new 5n1 that has a modular design which allows the temp/humidity sensor to be replaced easily. I am wondering if the replacement sensor they sell for the newer 5n1 can be made to work in the older one with a little soldering work. Anyone familiar with the inside of the 5n1?

Regards,
AB

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
Re: 5n1 Humidity Sensor Replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 05:38:10 PM »
I would check and see if they will good-will warranty it anyway.  At one point, there was a defective humidity sensor in a whole batch, and they covered everyone's replacement 5-in-1 no matter how long they had it.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 05:59:55 PM »
I own the 5n1 with the 1036 display. The humidity sensor has been giving bad readings for a couple of months but I am about 5 months past the warranty. This is not the new 5n1 that has a modular design which allows the temp/humidity sensor to be replaced easily. I am wondering if the replacement sensor they sell for the newer 5n1 can be made to work in the older one with a little soldering work. Anyone familiar with the inside of the 5n1?

Regards,
AB

I have a new 5n1 unit handy, but I don't know if has the new/replaceable temp/humidity sensor setup.  I'll open it up later and take a look, but I'm guessing you could make it work assuming they haven't moved to a different type of sensor chip.

If I remember correctly, there are only 4 wires between the main board and sub-assembly to worry about.  Some people have replaced the chip itself.  Others have used a compatible chip mounted on a SparkFun board and improvised its mounting in the wind tunnel. 

Which way you go it depends on if the chip alone has gone bad, or if the circuit traces on the sub-assembly mounting board have deteriorated.  If it's just trace deterioration, some have simply jumpered around the bad spots with success.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 06:53:39 PM »
OK.  I opened up the new 5n1.

Clearly Acurite has been busy.  The new main-board appears to have been revised in May of 2015.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

The second pic is of the replaceable SHT21 module.  It also seems to be from May 2015, so I guess it's not so "new".  Perhaps they just spent a year testing it.  It does seem to have a more robust-looking coating.  The circuit traces are no longer immediately evident.

The third pic shows how the new module connects to the main board. 

The fourth pic is a close-up of the SHT21 chip.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 07:22:47 PM »
Looks like they changed the wind magnet reader to me also. Mine doesn't look like that.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 08:16:56 PM »
Looks like they changed the wind magnet reader to me also. Mine doesn't look like that.

It's basically the same as it was, but the reed switch mounted differently.  As far as the wind cup assembly is concerned, the reed switch still looks to be in the same place, just under the black plastic internal cover.

If I recall correctly, the older design attached the reed switch to the upper plastic module, then was connected to the main board by a thin ribbon cable.  What bugged me about that setup is that it was too fragile when you had the 5n1 disassembled.  One klutzy move and you could break the solder joints.  (see pic attached below... it's the ribbon cable going out at the top)

This new mounting eliminates that problem as it's all part of the main board section.  I imagine it makes for faster/easier assembly in the factory, too.  The tripod mounting does look odd, though.

Another thing that looks different is the 433MHz antenna mounting.  It appears the antenna and radio circuitry are now part of the main board instead of being on a separate module.  I'd guess that also makes factory assembly quicker and easier.

I just found a pic of the old assembly.  Note how much more complicated the humidity temp/sensor was than the new module.  The new module should allow for a bit better airflow and fewer places for bugs to wedge themselves in.  Again, it's also probably easier/cheaper to manufacture.

Now that the module is user replaceable without soldering, perhaps an "upgrade" to a SHT31 chip could be made available. 

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 08:21:32 PM »
I agree about the old reed switch. I still have my original unit just like the one you pictured above.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 11:35:10 PM »
I found a pic of the older SHT21 module.

And here again is the new one.

To answer the original question, I'm pretty confident you should be able to make the new module work in an older 5n1, provided it has a main board dated at least April 2012. 

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 12:37:59 AM »
I found a link to the new humdity/temperature sensor with price. 

$10 isn't bad.

https://www.acurite.com/temperature-and-humidity-sensor-replacement-for-5-in-1-weather-sensors.html

Offline wxwatching

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 09:11:32 AM »
I spoke with Acurite Support a couple of times regarding the humidity sensor problem, but they never offered to do any "good-will warranty" and I didn't press the issue. Since purchasing my 5n1 in February of 2015, they have had to replace my display console and fan due to failure. Those failures came under the warranty period, but the humidity issue seemed to developed just beyond it. I have no reason to complain about their support as they have appeared helpful. Just a little disappointed that I experienced several failures in the course of 1 year and 5 months ownership, but I'm sure it happens.

Anyway, I have not been able to see any of the picture attachments. Not sure what I need to do to view those.

I would be willing to purchase their current temp/humidity sensor replacement part and try to get it to work in my 5n1. I'm just weighing whether that is a viable option versus just replacing the entire 5n1. I asked Acurite if such was possible, but obviously they were unable to confirm or deny such a possibility.

Offline wxwatching

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 09:12:18 AM »
Ok, I see the pics now. Not sure why I couldn't before.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 11:32:35 AM »
I saw a couple of pictures on Acurite's site that can help determine if you have one of the newer 5n1 sensors that are compatible with the replaceable module.

One has to do with the configuration of the Acurite logo.  The other has to do with the location of the A-B-C channel switch.

But as I said earlier, it shouldn't be hard to make the replaceable module fit an older unit if you're willing to solder. 

Offline wxwatching

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 11:40:57 AM »
Yes, I saw that on Acurite's site. I have the older unit. If I get an opportunity this weekend, I will open it up and see what the possibilities are. The pics you posted does make it look promising.

Offline wxwatching

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2016, 10:52:39 PM »
I ordered the replacement sensor Acurite sells (https://www.acurite.com/temperature-and-humidity-sensor-replacement-for-5-in-1-weather-sensors.html). Acurite makes the following note about this replacement:

*NOTE: Legacy versions of the 5-in-1 Sensor are not compatible with this replacement. Compatible sensors have a black box printed under the AcuRite logo that says, "5-IN-1 WEATHER".

However, it does appear to be compatible if you are willing to do a little soldering. In the picture, you will see I put a connector on the board where the old sensor cable was soldered to the board. I happen to have a compatible connector on another piece of equipment that was no longer working, so I robbed it and put it on.

After that, I simply plugged in the replacement sensor and all seems to be well thus far. My external humidity reading is in line with the indoor humidity sensor at the moment as I have the 5n1 inside my house beside my 1036 display console. I plan to keep it inside overnight and check in the morning to see if the external temp/humidity stays in line with the indoor sensors.

Also, the pic shows the connector as I originally soldered it on the board. I wasn't able to fully seat the black cover back on, so I redid it and placed it at more of an angle so now the black cover goes on as it should.

Perhaps this will help someone else if they have an older version of the 5n1 and don't want to yet replace the whole unit. Note how the red wire is oriented in relation to the connection to the board.

Offline wxwatching

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2016, 11:06:41 PM »
By the way, here's a picture of the original and now bad temp/humidity sensor that I replaced - a 2013.06.18 edition.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2016, 11:12:49 PM »
By the way, here's a picture of the original and now bad temp/humidity sensor that I replaced - a 2013.06.18 edition.

Interesting.  I haven't seen that version before,

Offline DangHumid

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 04:35:31 PM »
I would check and see if they will good-will warranty it anyway.  At one point, there was a defective humidity sensor in a whole batch, and they covered everyone's replacement 5-in-1 no matter how long they had it.....

Hmmm, if only that were true. I have one of the earlier ones with a dead outside Humidity sensor. About a year back it died so I called and was told to buy a new 5-in-1 head for a hundred bucks. I signed up today to see if anyone had managed to get the old ones working with a hack or something as the temp and wind direction have now quit too.

Since I was going to have to pull it apart, I hoped I could get Humidity back, but after reading a bunch of new and old posts on the Humidity sensors, seems like I am not alone, so will donate this to the trash and look for a different brand that is supported with replacement parts. Should have bought the Davis back then, but price won out over good sense. :D

I have learned my lesson.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2016, 04:52:20 PM »

Hmmm, if only that were true. I have one of the earlier ones with a dead outside Humidity sensor. About a year back it died so I called and was told to buy a new 5-in-1 head for a hundred bucks. I signed up today to see if anyone had managed to get the old ones working with a hack or something as the temp and wind direction have now quit too.

Since I was going to have to pull it apart, I hoped I could get Humidity back, but after reading a bunch of new and old posts on the Humidity sensors, seems like I am not alone, so will donate this to the trash and look for a different brand that is supported with replacement parts. Should have bought the Davis back then, but price won out over good sense. :D

I have learned my lesson.

What lesson?

First off, if it's a very old 5n1, you can replace the humidity sensor with an equivalent part.  There is at least one very old thread here about that.

If it's a 5n1 from 2012 or so, you can replace the SHT21 with their current replacement module (about $10) and a bit of simple soldering.  There was a recent thread here about that (actually, this thread).

If it's a very recent 5n1, the module can be replaced without soldering at all.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 04:53:52 PM by nincehelser »

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2016, 05:48:19 PM »
Nine like he said he learned his lesson. I bought an accurate station before they came along with this new junk your so proud of. It didn't even make it thru an Alaskan winter. Even clocks coming from Chaney need to be taken apart to get the switches to set it to work. As to the wx station  I called your lousy support and was told they didn't support that station that I bought 6 months prior. One has better luck with OS supports then any support from Chaney. As far as Accurate is concert here the are to the Wx world to what a lot of fly by radios where during the CB radio craze. Any reputable  company would have honored their warranty but not yours. By the way just how much on the take are you with them now that Rhino disappeared.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2016, 05:50:51 PM »
Nine like he said he learned his lesson. I bought an accurate station before they came along with this new junk your so proud of. It didn't even make it thru an Alaskan winter. Even clocks coming from Chaney need to be taken apart to get the switches to set it to work. As to the wx station  I called your lousy support and was told they didn't support that station that I bought 6 months prior. One has better luck with OS supports then any support from Chaney. As far as Accurate is concert here the are to the Wx world to what a lot of fly by radios where during the CB radio craze. Any reputable  company would have honored their warranty but not yours. By the way just how much on the take are you with them now that Rhino disappeared.

It's not a matter of being proud.  It's a matter of understanding what you're working with.

"My lousy support"?  I don't have any support, lousy or otherwise.

You are quite off-base scalphunter.

Offline DangHumid

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2016, 06:01:17 PM »
First off, if it's a very old 5n1, you can replace the humidity sensor with an equivalent part.  There is at least one very old thread here about that.

OK, off to a good start here. Calling me a liar eh? I was TOLD by Customer Service that parts were no longer available. So, either I really AM lying -OR- CS were wrong -OR- CS was trying to be greedy and get me to pay another hundred bucks for the failed head.

I have read a few of your posts here and you seem to have a bit of a bullying approach. One catches more flies with honey than vinegar.

Now, to that "at least one very old thread here," it would be much more helpful to include a link to it since you are more likely to be familiar with the topic wording than this tired old fart and newbie to this website.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2016, 06:09:24 PM »

OK, off to a good start here. Calling me a liar eh? I was TOLD by Customer Service that parts were no longer available. So, either I really AM lying -OR- CS were wrong -OR- CS was trying to be greedy and get me to pay another hundred bucks for the failed head.

I have read a few of your posts here and you seem to have a bit of a bullying approach. One catches more flies with honey than vinegar.

Now, to that "at least one very old thread here," it would be much more helpful to include a link to it since you are more likely to be familiar with the topic wording than this tired old fart and newbie to this website.

Oh, good grief.  I'm sorry if my information offends you.  :roll:

Yes, there is an old thread here about the original chips they used in the sensor before they started using the SHT21.

If you had asked nicely, I might have searched for it for you, but now I'm not so inclined.

Remember what you said  One catches more flies with honey than vinegar."

Offline tarheelbill

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2016, 02:55:08 PM »
hi there everyone....i been reading this post because i have 2 5n1 sensors that humidity/temp sensor is bad. ive been through 4 different 5n1 sensors, with which i will say acurite has been very good in replacing. i even had rhino a few years back send me some parts to try and repair the older version of these sensors, where the temp was separate from humidity but didnt have success. my question to yall is both of my 5n1's have the sht21 sensor but not the quick connect plug. the oldest one dates to 04/10/2012 on temp/humidity board. the part number on main board is VN1A2-V1 and the part number on temp/humidity board is VN1K1A2-V1. ihavent looked at other sensor yet but it is one acurite replaced before and its newer than this one. do yall think the replacement temp/humidity sensor for 10 bucks will work on both of mine? if not is there another sensor i could buy to replace both? im truly hoping though that these will work but just like to know before buying. im an electronics tech so no issues there in soldering, pluse i dont have the female part of the plug but i can just cut the plug off new sensor and solder it directly to main board. please let me know what yall think and i truly appreciate everyones help.

p.s. i saw the pictures of the outside indications of compatible and incompatible sensors neither one of mine have the 5n1 printed under acurite nor is my abc switch stepped down like the newer ones. but i still have hope by what wxwatching showed when he replaced his sensor on older unit.  :-)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 02:57:31 PM by tarheelbill »
acurite 01010w weather station

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2016, 03:06:31 PM »
hi there everyone....i been reading this post because i have 2 5n1 sensors that humidity/temp sensor is bad. ive been through 4 different 5n1 sensors, with which i will say acurite has been very good in replacing. i even had rhino a few years back send me some parts to try and repair the older version of these sensors, where the temp was separate from humidity but didnt have success. my question to yall is both of my 5n1's have the sht21 sensor but not the quick connect plug. the oldest one dates to 04/10/2012 on temp/humidity board. the part number on main board is VN1A2-V1 and the part number on temp/humidity board is VN1K1A2-V1. ihavent looked at other sensor yet but it is one acurite replaced before and its newer than this one. do yall think the replacement temp/humidity sensor for 10 bucks will work on both of mine? if not is there another sensor i could buy to replace both? im truly hoping though that these will work but just like to know before buying. im an electronics tech so no issues there in soldering, pluse i dont have the female part of the plug but i can just cut the plug off new sensor and solder it directly to main board. please let me know what yall think and i truly appreciate everyones help.

p.s. i saw the pictures of the outside indications of compatible and incompatible sensors neither one of mine have the 5n1 printed under acurite nor is my abc switch stepped down like the newer ones. but i still have hope by what wxwatching showed when he replaced his sensor on older unit.  :-)

Yes.  Wxwatching seems to have had success replacing the SHT21 with the new replaceable module (see earlier in this thread).

Offline tarheelbill

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2016, 03:21:53 PM »
hi nincehelser...thank you so much for such fast reply, that sounds excellent....heck im gonna order 2 of them and try and ill post back on my results. it would be awesome if i can get both units back up, thank you again and hopefully i can help someone by doing this too.  :-) :-) =D> =D>
acurite 01010w weather station

anything