Author Topic: New tipping spoon  (Read 403 times)

Offline rrmccabe

New tipping spoon
« on: August 15, 2020, 09:28:44 AM »
I have an 8 year old VP2 that stopped registering rain. The reed switch was bad which in retrospect I wish I had just replaced.

But I didn't. I figured I would do the tuneup kit with the new "improved" tipping bucket.....

Anyway, nothing conclusive but it rained for the first time last night. Says I got .95" of rain but other local sources seem to be exactly 1/2 that.   I am not saying its wrong, just wondering if others have had calibrating being that far off.  When I bought it, the site led me to believe that calibration should not be required.

Offline racer3

Re: New tipping spoon
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 10:07:33 AM »
Had the same expectations as you when I got mine. Mine was off by a good bit also. I did some fine tuning and it is usually close to my Stratus gauge right next to it. Yesterday we had a bad thunderstorm. The stratus had 1.73 in, the spoon recorded 1.68 in.  Sometimes they are exact, sometimes the spoon is a little higher or a little lower.

Offline rrmccabe

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 10:10:07 AM »
Thanks for quick response.

I have not found calibration instructions for it yet. Everything points me back to the older tipper.

Have not went and pulled the funnel to look at it. Is it a screw similar to the old style?

Rich

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 10:51:15 AM »
Hi there

I bought one last year and found it to be exactly pm par with a CocoRahs Gauge, and comparing it with two other local met office stations.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=37647.msg391822#msg391822

there is a user who has adjusted the spoon calibration, but afaik this maybe not the best thing to do.  Personally I would ask your vendor to supply a rain gauge that works as expected rather than paying for one YOU have to calibrate.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=39141.msg402624#msg402624
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline rrmccabe

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 11:19:00 AM »
OK, it really does not look like they are designed to calibrate easily like the others. Not at first glance anyway.

I am not saying its wrong at this point, just does not seem like we got .95 rain last night.

Thanks guys, will keep an eye on it.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 11:40:02 AM »
OK, it really does not look like they are designed to calibrate easily like the others.

Absolutely not recommended to change the calibration by Davis - it is not designed to do so. The adjustment is non-linear and difficult to reset once the factory calibration is lost. Are you sure that the increment is as expected and correctly set?
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline rrmccabe

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 12:06:52 PM »
"Are you sure that the increment is as expected and correctly set? "    Not sure what you are referring to. Are you talking about the console setting?  I have not changed anything from the original tipper which was accurate.

Offline rrmccabe

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 12:17:15 PM »
I just found a neighbor with 1" in rain gauge so my .95 is OK.

Thanks everyone