Author Topic: New CoCoRaHS from MI  (Read 7490 times)

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
New CoCoRaHS from MI
« on: September 25, 2009, 04:48:14 PM »
Ed just came down to visit from the Ironton area and I  gave him my extra 4" rain gauge so he can start submitting his rain/snowfall data through Cocorahs. Welcome aboard Ed. Your data is greatly appreciated.

Tim

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
Re: New CoCoRaHS from MI
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 07:39:57 AM »
Welcome to the CoCoRaHS community Ed.  CoCoRaHS Observers have their rain information put to good use by the media and climatological researchers. 
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline ironton

• Contributor
    • Irontonwebcams /Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 11:02:46 AM »
Had first precip to report with 0.61" measured here.  My Davis measured 0.62" so it agreed with the CoCoRaHS gauge. 
Now the 7AM read on Sunday looms.  ha
and Tim....  go Green - go MSU!
-ed/ironton

Davis VP2 using VWS
-----
http://www.charlevoixweather.com using Cumulus

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 02:40:52 PM »
 :-) Ed, you will find a great sense of contribution and accomplishment with being a CoCoRaHS volunteer!
Welcome aboard!!  =D>
 8-)

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 04:03:23 PM »
:-) Ed, you will find a great sense of contribution and accomplishment with being a CoCoRaHS volunteer!
Welcome aboard!!  =D>
 8-)

Henry

Just think about all those other folks (myself included) that trudge out to the rain gauge every day at 6:55 am.  :-({|=   I wonder if there's a name for that?   :-k

Greg
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 04:13:26 PM »
Welcome aboard!!  =D>
 8-)

Henry

Just think about all those other folks (myself included) that trudge out to the rain gauge every day at 6:55 am.  :-({|=   I wonder if there's a name for that?   :-

#-o  Err...I think it's called fun?
 :lol:

Henry
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 04:15:03 PM by port1 »
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 04:31:06 PM »
Welcome aboard!!  =D>
 8-)

Henry

Just think about all those other folks (myself included) that trudge out to the rain gauge every day at 6:55 am.  :-({|=   I wonder if there's a name for that?   :-

#-o  Err...I think it's called fun?
 :lol:

Henry

I was thinking about the 6:55 am every morning rain gauge reading collection army.  :)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline ironton

• Contributor
    • Irontonwebcams /Weather
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 09:50:45 PM »
I was thinking about the 6:55 am every morning rain gauge reading collection army.  :)

The EMRGRCA?

Davis VP2 using VWS
-----
http://www.charlevoixweather.com using Cumulus

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 11:12:16 PM »
Welcome aboard!!  =D>
 8-)

Henry

Just think about all those other folks (myself included) that trudge out to the rain gauge every day at 6:55 am.  :-({|=   I wonder if there's a name for that?   :-k

Greg
On Tuesday, June 3, 2008 in the CoCoRaHS Newsletter titled "The Catch" Nolan said;
"Greetings to all CoCoRaisins!
For those of you new to CoCoRaHS, the name "CoCoRaisin" started as a typo a
few years ago but has subsequently been adopted as a friendly name for all of us
rain gauge watchers.
"
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 11:34:58 PM »
CoCoRaHS is also educational to some.  It helps people to understand decimal numbers and rain amounts. 
I'm having a row with a non-CoCoRaHS rain observer over the amount of rain his gauge accumulated.  He argues that he received 7.5 inches of rain when other observers in that county got 0.77", 0.78", 0.84", & 1.08".  He may have a gauge similar to the 4 inch plastic professional that multiplies the amount.  He sees seven and a half inches of water in the cylinder and thinks that it rained 7.5 inches at his house.
Another person accused me of being too scientific when I listed three days rain in numbers with two decimal places.  I guess those 'complicated numbers' turned his brain to mush.

Offline Pick

• My Weather Station
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 04:26:03 PM »
I just joined. Gauge on order, but I have started reporting. Don't need much of a gauge to report "Zero".

Yes, Wxtech, decimals and fractions confuse many a person.

Mike
Vantage Vue
Weather Display 10.37O
CoCoRahs FL-AL-17
KFLHIGHS1

Offline JOE

• Forecaster
    • Centralia IL Weather
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 10:12:50 AM »
Don't need much of a gauge to report "Zero".

Funny, true, but still funny. #-o
Joe
www.centraliaweather.com
DW1376
KILCENTR2
K9RJN

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 07:42:03 PM »
Don't need much of a gauge to report "Zero".

Funny, true, but still funny. #-o

Actually, the zero's are just as important to report as true precip amounts.  CoCoRaHS strongly stresses the importance of reporting no precip, as well as accumulated precip.
There's actually a protocol for reporting "Trace" precipitation. :!:
I wish more Wx folks would get involved with CoCoRaHS...it's educational and rewarding.
 8-)

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline WeatherGoose

• Forecaster
  • LIVE from the Southern Sierra Nevada!
    • Sierra Springs Village - MADIS Station D2149 - Bass Lake Ca.
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 07:46:14 PM »
I was all hyped up about joining this, until I learned that you could not use your VP2 rain gauge!  ](*,)

I have a 4" rain gauge that I used before I got my VP2, and the VP2 seems the same in terms of accuracy.  I can understand the need to standardize the measuring process, but for someone who is disabled like I am, I can't handle doing manual readings anymore.

Oh well.  :-|

HARDWARE: Davis VP2 wireless w/daytime FARS - Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 - Apple 24" iMAC - OSX 10.6.2
SOFTWARE: Lightsoft Weather Center for Mac OSX -  EVOcam 2.6.5

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 07:54:09 PM »
I was all hyped up about joining this, until I learned that you could not use your VP2 rain gauge!  ](*,)

I have a 4" rain gauge that I used before I got my VP2, and the VP2 seems the same in terms of accuracy.  I can understand the need to standardize the measuring process, but for someone who is disabled like I am, I can't handle doing manual readings anymore.

Oh well.  :-|

Oh...sorry about that.  Yes, you have to use the standardized rain gauge recommended by CoCoRaHS.  The whole idea behind using their gauge is that it's inexpensive, as all members are volunteers.  But, the gauge is way, way accurate, and I use it to make sure my tipping gauge remains accurate.  It still is...
 :-)

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline upweather

• Lake Superior snow belt
  • Forecaster
  • record snowfall 315.5" season 99.9"
    • superior region weather
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2009, 11:29:04 PM »
Good to see someone from up north , I've never heard of IRONTON ? I'm guessing your down by grand traverse bay area?
VP2 6153 W/24HR FARS, HEATER,WEATHERLINK IP
CoCoRaHS MI-AG-1 ,CWOP-DW3971 ,
nearby webcam http://www.upadventures.net/webcam.php

anything