Author Topic: WU New Look ~ What Do You Think?  (Read 4578 times)

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
Re: WU New Look ~ What Do You Think?
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2019, 12:55:42 AM »
It does look very Mickey Mouse'ish, +1 for dislikes
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline seismet

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2019, 05:40:17 AM »
Not as good as the old look and now it does not show soil temp or leaf wetness.

Offline StormCapture

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2019, 08:12:36 AM »
Yer not much of a fan of the new layout, preferred the old layout by a mile and it looks way to much like the iPad app they have.
Prehaps they should have put a link on the site to allow their users to decide if they should change or stay the same or tweak the original?  I expect the next few days the kinks are ironed out, and god I hope they do bring back the Rapid Fire feature so for now, I'll be looking at my station through Teamviewer on my R-Pi3.

Also I hope they deal with the graph to read in decimal places instead of full degrees

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2019, 09:22:55 AM »
I like the new layout. It also shows my webcam now, after months of it not.

Thumbs up from me.

Offline sho23

• KN6DZN
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2019, 11:52:05 AM »
It looks polished, hopefully they get to finish buttoning it up soon.

Question: do you guys know where the "station last reported X minutes ago" went?

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2019, 11:59:21 AM »
How can anyone praise this when half the features  don't even work.
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2019, 12:19:49 PM »
How can anyone praise this when half the features  don't even work.

They didn't before the new layout either, but I still like it. In fact, some features that didn't work for me are now working.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2019, 01:39:30 PM »
Question: do you guys know where the "station last reported X minutes ago" went?

"Rapid Fire" is MIA.

Someone from wunderground said it is due to a miscommunication between developers.

I've seen no clarification on what that means.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2019, 01:41:11 PM »

"Rapid Fire" is MIA.

Someone from wunderground said it is due to a miscommunication between developers.

It means it wasn't a priority and won't be coming back.

Offline Bgruver

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2019, 01:55:28 PM »
I can't believe anyone there would think taking away rapid fire was a good idea.. and then they actually proceed to go forward with it. Honestly that was the best feature of the whole site. I could quickly login to my weather station page while on the go and see it update every 2 seconds. Now the page doesn't refresh unless you force it to.

I heard it was on the agenda to bring back, but I've heard nothing else beyond that. Honestly, it shouldn't have gone away in the first place.

Offline giveme5

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2019, 07:12:55 PM »
Still here, still working on fixes (rapidfire, design, decimal precision), still listening to your feedback.

Thank you for your positive contributions, your bug reports, and for keeping speculation to a minimum.

Nobody likes a bumpy ride less than we do; we'll get these things ironed out.

Our small WU/IBM team thanks you for your patience and support.

--Us

Offline sho23

• KN6DZN
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2019, 11:58:33 AM »

"Rapid Fire" is MIA.

Thanks. It's my easy way to check if everything is working properly, since weatherlink.com also doesn't really tell me when it was last updated.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2019, 12:20:20 PM »
Thanks. It's my easy way to check if everything is working properly, since weatherlink.com also doesn't really tell me when it was last updated.

Try this, with your PWS ID in place of the xxxxx (use lower case):

Code: [Select]
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?id=xxxxx#history
That's the old dashboard with the old design which is still up and running despite WU stating that it was shut down.  I doubt this is permanent but enjoy it while it lasts.  \:D/

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2019, 02:58:18 PM »

Here’s the link:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?id=%20KCAMERCE23#history

It probably won’t work forever but for now...enjoy.

Offline sho23

• KN6DZN
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2019, 06:10:54 PM »
Oh nice, thanks for the hidden tips  =D>

Offline Gretnawx

• Gretna Weather Page
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2019, 08:06:41 AM »
The new PWS display has been the worst April Fools joke ever.  Please remove it until it works.  As of now this is a major DOWNgrade from prior interface.  Who coded this a bunch of middle school kids?

- Daily high/low is wrong (appears to only use data from midnight hour)
- Graphs plot integer values (rediculous)
- No ability to plot a yearly graph
- No soil temperature displayed
- No age of observation displayed
There are 10 types of people in the world - Those that know binary and those that don't

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2019, 02:18:45 PM »
I can't believe anyone there would think taking away rapid fire was a good idea.. and then they actually proceed to go forward with it. Honestly that was the best feature of the whole site. I could quickly login to my weather station page while on the go and see it update every 2 seconds. Now the page doesn't refresh unless you force it to.

I heard it was on the agenda to bring back, but I've heard nothing else beyond that. Honestly, it shouldn't have gone away in the first place.
But Rapid Fire is based on Flash.  It's on its way out, and next year won't be supported anymore.  So it needs to go.  It's up to WU to figure out what to replace it with.  Surely, it's not highly advanced rocket science to do that.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2019, 04:52:18 PM »
Rapidfire is not based on Flash. The old site does not use Flash. The confusion might be that there was once a web panel widget that did use Flash to display Rapidfire updates.

See here for reference:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34513.0

You can test the old site that it has no Flash here:
https://seositecheckup.com/tools/flash-test
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 04:54:33 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2019, 08:00:20 PM »
Then why is WU still offering this flash widget?  https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KOKSTILL4/widgets

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2019, 08:42:51 PM »
Well I guess they still offer flash widgets. The point is that the widget's existence has no bearing on Rapidfire continuing to exist without Flash. Chrome does not support Flash as a default for a while now and yet the old site continues to work on Chrome because it has no Flash. You can even use the old site with Rapidfire on iOS and Android and they haven't had Flash in many years. Flash was killed on iOS by Steve Jobs, so it's been a while. Rapidfire doesn't use Flash.

WU has said that Rapidfire is not on the new site because of some miscommunication with developers. Not because it was outdated technology. Rapidfire is coming back soon (according to WU). The outdated technology had to do with other underlying infrastructure and legacy code.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 08:53:17 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2019, 08:44:03 PM »
Then why is WU still offering this flash widget?  https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KOKSTILL4/widgets
That doesn't run on the WU website...

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2019, 09:14:08 PM »
That doesn't run on the WU website...
It certainly does run on the WU page cited,  if you have your browser set up for it.  But I understand a lot of people don't want to run Flash.  And if using phone no possible way it will run.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 09:40:52 PM by Bunty »

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2019, 09:32:34 PM »
Well I guess they still offer flash widgets. The point is that the widget's existence has no bearing on Rapidfire continuing to exist without Flash. Chrome does not support Flash as a default for a while now and yet the old site continues to work on Chrome because it has no Flash. You can even use the old site with Rapidfire on iOS and Android and they haven't had Flash in many years. Flash was killed on iOS by Steve Jobs, so it's been a while. Rapidfire doesn't use Flash.

WU has said that Rapidfire is not on the new site because of some miscommunication with developers. Not because it was outdated technology. Rapidfire is coming back soon (according to WU). The outdated technology had to do with other underlying infrastructure and legacy code.

I still find the issue quite highly confusing.   Either you don't what Rapid Fire I'm referring to, or I don't know what Rapid Fire you're referring to. This is the Rapid Fire I referring to.  It  currently doesn't rapidly update on its own anymore.  If WU is still keeping this, WHY?  https://stillwaterweather.com/wxrapidfire

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2019, 09:33:16 PM »
It certainly does run on the WU page cited,  if you have your browser set up for it.  But I understand a lot of people don't want to run Flash.
OK, to be more specific, that flash widget is not part of the WU website and is designed to be incorporated in your own site.  Better?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2019, 10:01:20 PM »
You don't look a garden hose and say, "hey look this is water and you gotta have one of these if you want water." No, there are other ways to have water. Rapidfire is the same way. You are confusing what you use (a Flash widget that runs on your site) to see Rapidfire with what Rapidfire actually is. You are calling the hose the water. Or at least you are getting the two confused and not realizing that you don't need one to have the other. One is the medium and one is the product.

Rapidfire is a newer WU protocol for your station to send data in quicker updates up to seconds apart. Then these fast updates are shown on WU older station dashboard (and soon the new UI also) using current browser technology that doesn't use Flash. As can be proven that it doesn't use Flash by using browsers that haven't had Flash in years yet you are able to see station data automatically updated seconds apart.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 05:28:40 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

anything