Author Topic: Well poop - Power outages, weewx, acurite access  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Theo

Well poop - Power outages, weewx, acurite access
« on: August 07, 2019, 12:07:08 PM »
I had a brief power outage last night that caused my internet to go down.  I am currently using AcuRite access with interceptor to log to weewx.  Lessons learned last night:

1) While the access will save readings to the access while the internet is out, it does not attempt to post to WU and does not post catch up data to WU (so all rainfall/other readings during the outage are lost to weewx).

2) Because of number 1 above, CWOP postings are missing all data during the outage.

Power is not my issue as I have UPS/Generator, so my only large exposure here is Internet outage.  so a couple of thoughts/questions:

Thoughts:

1) I think I need to figure out how to catch the radio signal from the Atlas to the Access, which will allow weewx to at least capture all of the weather data.  This will be a pain, since no one has apparently done it, and my skillset is far from SDR (though technical).  I think this is the only way to save ongoing weather data outside of AcuRite (Am I missing something?)

2) A Davis VP2 would like solve this, as weewx can intercept signals right now (or Ambient for that matter, though my WS-2000 has been less than stable)

Questions:

1) If I capture via SDR all the weather data, will weewx catch up with CWOP and other downstream services when the internet recovers? 
2) Am I missing a cooler, easier, or just better way of preserving my weather data?

Thanks in advance.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Well poop - Power outages, weewx, acurite access
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 04:02:25 PM »
One sure way to ensure not loosing any data is to capture it locally and save it locally. As you mentioned you can provide power via battery backup and/or generator.

You could run local weather software to capture the data. Several options here. WeeWx, Weather-Display, Cumulus. But which of those works may depend on your station and maybe your willingness/skill to get the data.

Another alternative is a dual WAN router. Some routers can be configured to connect to two Internet providers. You could then have a combination of two of the following: Cable, Telco DSL, Telco Fiber, Cellular Hotspot, satellite, microwave ...etc (and less likely others mostly for large company use like T1, T3, OC3, dedicated fiber).

With a router that has dual WAN Internet services it can then be configured to automatically switch between the primary to the secondary on loss of service. In some extreme circumstances like natural disaster you may lose both Internet services. This leaves local weather software as the best option for not loosing data.

That I know of currently no online weather service (WU, CWOP, WeatherClouud, PWSweather, ...etc.) allows catch up of missed data. WU used to allow this but they removed this capability. That leaves you with these two options that I've mentioned; Local weather software or multiple Internet services. Backup power source should obviously be part of the solution regardless.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 01:43:12 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Theo

Re: Well poop - Power outages, weewx, acurite access
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 06:16:54 PM »
Ya, I already have weewx, now to get SDR for Atlas decoded so I can move the capture when there is an Internet outage.  Unless I opted for a hot spot backup, I have not other option that the crappy rural DSL I already have.  :(