Author Topic: Webcam FTP server status  (Read 17106 times)

Offline Weatherwx85

Re: Webcam FTP server status
« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2019, 04:53:22 PM »
Just saw this under my login...

Offline quailvalleywx

« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2019, 08:54:29 PM »
For ftp login issues look here - http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=37543.0

If you're lucky enough to get logins working (Webcam name and key are recently working for me):
52.36.136.128 - OK (recommend sending images to this server rather than webcam.wunderground.com IMHO)
54.148.11.142 - accepts images but does not make them available to wundermap nor other apps
52.37.52.183 - accepts images but does not make them available to wundermap nor other apps
WS-1400-IP, Galaxy S3 for cloud cam and Web Server
QV Website | Source Code | WU | WC | PWS | MesoWest/CWOP

Offline Eguraldia

« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2019, 01:30:33 AM »
Finally online!!working now FTA \:D/
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 04:17:20 AM by Eguraldia »

Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless)

Meteobridge

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2019, 06:56:12 AM »
For ftp login issues look here - http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=37543.0

If you're lucky enough to get logins working (Webcam name and key are recently working for me):
52.36.136.128 - OK (recommend sending images to this server rather than webcam.wunderground.com IMHO)
54.148.11.142 - accepts images but does not make them available to wundermap nor other apps
52.37.52.183 - accepts images but does not make them available to wundermap nor other apps

None of those IP's have worked in 4 months for me - didn't accept anything.

However, normal service seems to have resumed now.

Offline MNicastro

• WeatherMike
    • WeatherMike
« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2019, 08:33:08 AM »
Weather Underground has been very unreliable for a least a year plus. My websites and WebCams have been online and offline all the time.  I never had issues until the 'new and improved' system. Until recently I have used my Weather Station name and WebCam ID and password to upload the data to Weather Underground and it has always worked fine.  Now without any notification from Weather Underground apparently we need to have our Weather Stations name in ALL CAPS and now have to use a KEY provided by Weather Underground instead of a password. It would be nice if we had some communication from WU of these changes. I realize this is a free service, but you either commit to supporting the site or not.  Just my 2 cents  :-)
Mike Nicastro / K7FLA
https://www.weathermike.com)
-------------------------------------------------------
Ambient Weather WS-2000 Smart Weather Station ( KCABEAUM158 )
Ecowitt WS90 7-in-1 Weather Sensor ( KCABEAUM159 )

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #105 on: October 05, 2019, 08:35:07 AM »
quailvalleywx,
What is the latest status on FTP servers?
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #106 on: October 05, 2019, 09:09:20 AM »
Sporadic failed connections all day, every day. Crappy playback is the result.  SSDD.
If it's not a Boerboel it's just a dog.

Offline quailvalleywx

« Reply #107 on: October 05, 2019, 09:27:33 AM »
quailvalleywx,
What is the latest status on FTP servers?
It looks like no change since April 12th - 2019.  Only one of the 3 servers is working.  For months now, if you send directly to the IP address of the working one you get ~full length videos and timely updates to Wundermap and station pages.  If you send to webcam.wunderground.com you get often dropped images and partial video.  52.36.136.128 is part of the WU ship that is still above water - for how long???

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #108 on: October 06, 2019, 08:49:38 AM »
Out of curiosity I switched from webcam.wunderground.com to 52.36.136.128 as an experiment.  I will say there are significantly more images available but playback is still "herky jerky" at best.  I'll let it percolate for another day and see if there's any improvement with playback.  One other comment is that it's now 08:50 local time and the playback ends at 02:20 or so, indicating, to me anyway, that image are stored in two different directories at the very least, one for "current" images and one for "playback", or possibly "approved", images.  Moving them to the "playback" area seems to have a serious lag.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #109 on: October 06, 2019, 01:45:08 PM »
I will have to try that. My camera was fine since May with just a few dropped images until about 3 weeks ago it totally went blank.

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #110 on: October 07, 2019, 08:37:39 AM »
Further update on using the IP rather than a URL - playback is now smooth and it appears that all images have actually managed to upload.  The playback still stops short of the current time, though, which sort of supports the two locations or an "approval" process being in place before the images are posted for viewing.

Offline quailvalleywx

« Reply #111 on: October 07, 2019, 09:17:10 AM »
The playback still stops short of the current time, though, which sort of supports the two locations or an "approval" process being in place before the images are posted for viewing.
I've wondered about that too.  If you download the video it is an mp4 file so some server is taking those images and converting them.  Probably due to processing delay they don't do this on demand from the most recent pic so maybe there is some scheduled times during the day the mp4s get created.  I do time lapse videos for my wx site and the mp4 for the day gets processed at 1AM the next day.

I think the embedded player is better from a year ago since the time slider bar actually is smooth and works pretty well.  The resolution is not too good.  For looking at clouds/sky and considering it's free - not too bad.  Hmmm, maybe they don't care to fix the two broke servers to limit needed storage space for the mp4s.  I wonder how long they continue to offer webcams though since initially they were going to drop them and only halfheartedly retained them.  Maybe they are considered just loss leaders.

Offline TinkerTown

« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2021, 09:06:11 PM »
I hate to bump this post, but has anyone had any luck with this? I have tried setting up an FTP to Underground Weather and I haven't been able to get the FTP to work. It works on my local server. It works to the Ambient Weathers site, but WU simply will not allow images uploaded. It takes it when I use Filezilla. But the image just disappears once uploaded. I never get a Status Online. I have tried waiting days. I even deleted the webcams and created new ones. Now, the website doesn't even show I have a camera associated with it.

Seems like it has been several months and still no luck?

Ecowitt GW1000 | WS-2902C |Weewx on Raspberry Pi
WU: KNMLOVIN14  |  PWSweather: PWSLOVNM1
CWOP: FW9112; https://lovingtonweather.com

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2021, 11:28:53 PM »
I played back and forth and had URL method going for a while then it quit the all of a sudden FTP works best it ever has. I have no real explanation. **knock wood**

Just using the default webcam.wunderground address now.

Offline HoffAppFarm

• Hoffman Appalachian Farm
« Reply #114 on: March 18, 2021, 04:04:42 PM »
Greetings! New to the forum, but a Davis Vantage Vue / Wunderground user for a few years.

I'm also trying to FTP an image from our webcam up to Wunderground and getting a credentials errors that I know isn't what's really going on. Creds are correct, FTP functionality doesn't seem to be working. That still correct? Not sure whey they still advertise it as an option.

Thanks!

Joshua

I hate to bump this post, but has anyone had any luck with this? I have tried setting up an FTP to Underground Weather and I haven't been able to get the FTP to work. It works on my local server. It works to the Ambient Weathers site, but WU simply will not allow images uploaded. It takes it when I use Filezilla. But the image just disappears once uploaded. I never get a Status Online. I have tried waiting days. I even deleted the webcams and created new ones. Now, the website doesn't even show I have a camera associated with it.

Seems like it has been several months and still no luck?

Offline TinkerTown

« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2021, 04:45:44 PM »
Greetings! New to the forum but a Davis Vantage Vue / Wunderground user for a few years.

I'm also trying to FTP an image from our webcam up to Wunderground and getting credentials errors that I know isn't what's really going on. Creds are correct; FTP functionality doesn't seem to be working. That still correct? Not sure why they still advertise it as an option.

Thanks!

Joshua

Wunderground is really unstable. I have had periods of it working fine and then nothing for days and days. Sometimes the DNS address works; other times, just the IP of one of the three FTP servers works. I think they have some issue with the clustering of their FTP servers or something.

I also noticed it takes a few days for the credentials you got to start working if they do work. I would wait a few days after you get them, then try the DNS name first, webcam.wunderground.com, and if not, one of the IP addresses associated with the name and see if you have better luck. Mine hasn't worked in a week.
Ecowitt GW1000 | WS-2902C |Weewx on Raspberry Pi
WU: KNMLOVIN14  |  PWSweather: PWSLOVNM1
CWOP: FW9112; https://lovingtonweather.com

Offline HoffAppFarm

« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2021, 05:12:13 PM »
Thanks!

Well I went the IP address route and that actually worked. I've had the device setup for quite some time now, it's just always showed up offline. The terminal script to FTP the image up via the IP address, then when I went back to my Devices page for the first time ever it showed up "Online" and green.

I got excited for a half second then like most here, realized I would most likely be disappointed. Sure enough, I clicked through and it briefly took me to what looked like a 404 error, then flashed to another screen that made it look like it was trying to load the image...and there it hung.

So partial success, thanks for the help! However just seems like they still have issues on their end with the whole setup.

I'm really just trying to find a way to display live weather information and a photo from our Farm. I've found a better route for the weather data via a WordPress plugin for that...I can honestly forget Wunderground at this point. The image I haven't figured out yet. It's actually coming from a Spartan trail cam as the place I need the images from is remote. So four times a day it shoots a pict, sends it via cellular network to me via email...then the script comes into play to upload it. Now I just need to find a better repository for the image so that it updates on the website.

Anywhooo...when I figure that part out, I may just close down my Wunderground account as the data is viewable on Davis' site and not on our website.

Greetings! New to the forum but a Davis Vantage Vue / Wunderground user for a few years.

I'm also trying to FTP an image from our webcam up to Wunderground and getting credentials errors that I know isn't what's really going on. Creds are correct; FTP functionality doesn't seem to be working. That still correct? Not sure why they still advertise it as an option.

Thanks!

Joshua

Wunderground is really unstable. I have had periods of it working fine and then nothing for days and days. Sometimes the DNS address works; other times, just the IP of one of the three FTP servers works. I think they have some issue with the clustering of their FTP servers or something.

I also noticed it takes a few days for the credentials you got to start working if they do work. I would wait a few days after you get them, then try the DNS name first, webcam.wunderground.com, and if not, one of the IP addresses associated with the name and see if you have better luck. Mine hasn't worked in a week.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2021, 07:54:59 PM »
You want consistent place to view web cam? Upload it to Windy.

Offline HoffAppFarm

« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2021, 08:59:06 PM »
Apologies...what’s Windy?

You want consistent place to view web cam? Upload it to Windy.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2021, 09:23:50 PM »

anything