Author Topic: MapBox outdated  (Read 1541 times)

Offline 2Tall

MapBox outdated
« on: April 19, 2017, 10:27:43 PM »
Word from WU is that they aware of the issues with their "location database" and is looking to improve it through "another source".  It shows neighborhood names that haven't been used in decades and uses those outdated names to label your location.   This is very confusing, especially to many younger users. I have tried using the MapBox feedback feature but to no apparent avail.  I don't believe Google Maps offers neighborhood names and boundaries.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: MapBox outdated
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 02:24:07 PM »
I noticed that in two places in WU you actually see two different maps.

The Wundermap seems current. Well at least more current than the other map in the station dashboard.

So the map that shows up in your station's dashboard view is a very very old map. Or parts of it are old and other parts are new. It is really weird.

Attached are two views for the same area, Wundermap and Dashboard map. A major road that has been there for over 20 years is missing even if you zoom all the way in. Yet surrounding roads that are much newer are there...all in the same seemingly old map. This needs fixing. There shouldn't be >20 year old roads missing. This missing road in this particular case is a major through way for a very established neighborhood. If you look closely roads that diverge off this major road are there. Like as if those small roads existed all on their own. They never did. Those off-shoots came after the main boulevard that is missing. I'm referring to the small roads that resemble the letter "C" with a stick coming off the middle.

If you follow the Mapbox link to "Improve this map" it takes you to Mapbox's website and shows you a current map. So there is nothing to fix. WU just has an old map loaded.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 02:35:31 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 02:40:43 PM »
Amazing you got them to respond.

Problem is the whole WU is outdated and a mess. I'm getting ready to throw in the towel with WU. They have become totally unreliable.
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 03:01:06 PM »
I know it has been mentioned before.

The view of my development is at least a year behind.
The view of my farm is AT LEAST 5 years old. Dad's equipment is in places that it looks like he is alive. So that makes it Fall of 2012. depending on zoom level.

Add: The outer zoom level is from Summer of 2013. I know because there is a dumpster by the garage. That was put there in late June/early July. We had the equipment sale in August. 5 years ago today.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 03:09:32 PM by chief-david »

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

anything