Author Topic: Envoy IP logger and Mac  (Read 830 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Envoy IP logger and Mac
« on: September 04, 2018, 11:41:58 AM »
Checking the transcievers with a PC with the Envoy is easy.  But how does one do that with the Envoy IP and a Mac.  The weatherlink only connects with a USB and I do have one, but with the IP logger,  there are changes I need to make.

I was using Parallels desktop, but it was so,so,so slow on  my iMac that i eventually removed it.   I might re install it if Mojave works with it.. but right now, is there a work around to changing the settings?   The ip logger I use for my web site is connected to my console so it is easy to make changes there.

buying a stand alone PC right now isn't financially going to happen to this geezer

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
Re: Envoy IP logger and Mac
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 11:47:17 PM »
Well after 56 views, no help.  I think the solution will be this:

After Apple updates the MACOS to Mojave and the dust clears.  I will reload Parallels and then Win 10  and from there reload the Weatherlink software that came with the logger and run the changes that way rather than use Bootcamp.   Boot camp is nice, but it works that I have to log out of MACOSX and into boot camp each time.   I have the software for the previous .

It is sort of sad with the Mac, there are so many of them out there, but so few developers are able or willing to undertake  doing their own version of Weatherlink for Mac, which one could change the transcievers, check calibration and so on.   

I do have a console with the IP logger that feeds my website,  there I can make the necessary changes and updates , but not so much calibration of the sensors, particularly the remote, such as the one I tossed into the crawl space or up in the attic, places i am never going into physically.   

So I guess I will continue to use the software that is out there, Weathercat being my primary, weather display  for detail, weathersnoop as it has THSW and ET values. Cobble together the  data.

I do use MS Excel and have extensive weather /climate information on my station if you so desire.  I can send you the spread sheet with the graphs and/or the raw data.   

Offline Brientim

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 10:56:30 AM »
I do similiar run it on Fusion but if I remember correctly I had issues reinstalling it on the latest WIN10 and ended up using WIN7.

Depending on the level of changes it is feasible to perform the update directly on the panel.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 02:16:45 PM »
I do similiar run it on Fusion but if I remember correctly I had issues reinstalling it on the latest WIN10 and ended up using WIN7.

Depending on the level of changes it is feasible to perform the update directly on the panel.
do you think Fusion is better than Parallels.  I know that Parallels takes a bite out of harddrive space and slows my machine down to slow.   I have drive space which is not a problem 807 GB  free

Offline Brientim

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 04:13:01 PM »
I won’t say it is better or worse for basic hosting on a VM. I used VMWare products and that influenceD my decision. I do not notice any degradated performance when running on a Mac Mini Server I7/16GB; however I very rarely log on to this to work

The other option is Oracle VMBox.

Y

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 07:31:49 PM »
I do appreciate the assistance.   I think the best avenue for the immediate future would be for me  not to add VM to this machine until Mojave is on board and all the bugs and dust settles. That the system is stable , then to add the VM to it.   In that Mojave is still very beta, chances are there are quirks.

I did get the opportunity to access the IP loggers on my wife's PC.  That might be a pathway.  Right now she is using her PC.  Her MacAir wouldn't turn on .  The local Apple store couldn't get it to behave so they sent it in. fortunately  she has Apple care and they might be able to fix it unless they do a re install of High Sierra.  Shouldn't have to.   So until she gets that back,   I might just do as I thought.

It still would be cool if the Mac weather developers would add to their software the same settings that Weatherlink had, that is to be able to access the Envoy.  In Retrospect,  I should have invested in another console.. meh...

Again thank you.

Offline Brientim

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 05:07:52 AM »
That is the simple route for the time being and there are other reason including normally with the latest MACOS, the vendor release an update, at cost of course.

Once configured I have only once had to do minor configuration changes and that was only after the recent console firmware update, and that I did directly on the console.

Weather Display forum recently had an enhancement request but I cannot remember what was requested as this is MACOS.

Even Davis have declared they will not be upgrading WeatherLink software so this is the way this will go.