Author Topic: Add-InWx  (Read 31321 times)

Offline andro700

• Chuck
  • Forecaster
    • Gobles Weather Page
Re: Add-InWx
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2015, 12:18:57 PM »
Not using any plugins as of now. I will try again. Will let you know.

Chuck

Offline andro700

• Chuck
  • Forecaster
    • Gobles Weather Page
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2015, 12:23:05 PM »
So I bet if you empty your "Documents\Add-InWx" folder the new versions will startup.

Tried that and still will not start up.

Offline Josiah

• Add-InWx Software Author
  • Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2015, 12:32:17 PM »
What OS are you using, and is it 64 or 32 bit?

Never mind,
Found the problem with version 1.0.2.1. If you manually create a Directory called "Station Data" then it should run.

Still looking into the problem with Version 1.0.1.2...

Edit 2: The folder called "Station Data" that you create needs to be in the "Documents\Add-InWx" folder, so the directory path would be "Documents\Add-InWx\Station Data".

I'm still not sure what the problem with Version 1.0.1.2 is, but I got an error the first time i tried running it. I emptied the contents of my "Documents\Add-InWx" folder, tried it again and it ran.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:06:27 PM by Josiah »

Offline andro700

• Chuck
  • Forecaster
    • Gobles Weather Page
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2015, 01:02:39 PM »
Would I put the Station Data under Documents\Add-InWx. It is running but not updating.

Chuck

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2015, 01:14:14 PM »
Ok, Progress so far.
What type of station are you trying to connect to?
And are you using Virtual VP?

Does your setup happen to be a Davis VP2 via Serial port through Virtual VP?

Offline andro700

• Chuck
  • Forecaster
    • Gobles Weather Page
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2015, 01:29:21 PM »
yes to all your questions. VVP shows it is updating but the program is not.

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2015, 01:52:31 PM »
Ok,
So Does VVP show activity on the port that Add-InWx is setup to use?
If it is, try restarting Add-InWx.

Offline andro700

• Chuck
  • Forecaster
    • Gobles Weather Page
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2015, 02:06:59 PM »
It is working now. I restarted VVP.

Thanks for the help.

Chuck

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2015, 02:22:50 PM »
Great!
If you need anything else, give me a shout.

I will be posting an update to 1.0.2.1 with the bug fix, probably in the next couple of hours.

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2015, 04:58:15 PM »
Hey guys!

I've uploaded the bug fixed version So now when you download version 1.0.2.1 you will get the version that has the fix.

I've also setup an email account with my webhost, the new email address is: Josiah@addinwx.net
I've changed my account settings for this forum to use the new email and I've updated the email address in the Original post and the email on www.addinwx.net. So If you find yourself looking for it, those are 3 places you can find it.

The only reasons for this is to help keep the support emails separate from my regular emails, (They are starting to clutter each other) and to help bring all the Add-InWx stuff to one place. (That's also one of the reasons why I've moved the .zip files from the box account)
I've tied the new account to my email client so that I will receive notifications when an email is sent. This means that responses will be sent just as promptly as they have been.

Please try to use the new email address for anything related to Add-InWx.

Edit: 2/8/2015
The new email I had setup with my webhost was working very unreliably so I'm going back to the AOL Email address: Bennett_J@aol.com.
/Edit

Thanks,
Josiah
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 09:07:35 AM by Josiah »

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2015, 05:20:31 PM »
With the intensified research into a TFT based Console returning results that indicate that the best option is to use a SBC similar to a Raspberry Pi, I'm also thinking harder about bringing Add-InWx cross platform.
As it stands now the plan is to port the API and plugins to allow cross platform Development, then build Different GUIs for each OS. I think that this would allow me to keep both the WPF UI on Windows and the Plugin capability while adding support for Linux, Mac OS X and potentially Android. not sure about the Android part, but I've been digging around and it appears that it would allow for it.

So would you like to see Add-InWx go cross platform?
Let me know via the poll!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 10:42:13 AM by Josiah »

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2015, 11:28:01 AM »
The new email account has been working very unreliably, So I'm going back to the old one: Bennett_J@aol.com

For anyone using the Wunderground Forecast Plugin, and In case anybody else has the same problem.
I've discovered that for some reason on my weather PC (and just my Weather PC) Add-InWx doesn't like to load the Wunderground API key. The simple temporary fix to get it running again is to clear the "API Key" field in the "Wunderground Forecast.txt" file. Leave the quotes though, So the new line would look like this: "API Key",""
I'm planing on redoing the format of the config files so that they are even easier to read, which should also fix this.

And here's an update on the Cross-platforming, I have Good news and Bad news.
Bad News:
Windows, Linux and MAC OS X are desktop OSes while Android is a Mobile OS. What this means is that I can't get all four with one UI. I would have to build a second UI for Android.
But the Good News is that Since Android IS a mobile OS, the second UI would run on not just Android, but Windows Phone and IOS (eg. iPads and iPhones) as well.

Man... I would LOVE to get Add-InWx running on all the major OS, (Windows, MAC, Linux, IOS, Android and Windows Phone). Its been driving me crazy knowing that its within reach too.

Since I'm thinking about cross platforming, I've already started the process.
The API + Background operations have been ported to MONO and seem to be functioning properly.
What helped was WPF being XAML instead of VB.net or C#, which basically forced me to keep the UI code and "Background Task" code very cleanly separated. As a result, the time spent on porting so far is only upto 12 hours.
I need to figure out the GTK# window drawing stuff and then rebuild the entire UI. Fortunately, the UI isn't that complex and has been rethought and redone a few times.

Depending on available time and how quickly I can pickup GTK#, it could take awhile to rebuild the UI. So don't expect a new version for some time.
Anyway, Wish me Luck!

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2015, 08:43:29 PM »
Version 1.0.2.2 Beta is now available!
Along with a CWOP Uploader plugin.

It occurred to me that since I'm going to be busy with the porting, I should pack-up my latest work and put it up for download. So its uploaded now.
Not a whole lot has changed since version 1.0.2.1 Beta, The big thing though is the CWOP plugin that I have been sitting on. Add-InWx still doesn't calculate the "5 Min Wind Peak" or "1 Min Wind Average" so the CWOP and Wunderground Plugins don't upload any gust information.

Porting is going well so far. I think that I've gotten GTK# figured out, so now all I need to do is rethink/re-implement the GUI.
I've been mentally breaking apart the Add-InWx UI into small pieces to help figure out the best way to recreate it in GTK#. The things that I planed on changing, like the Views selector, I have left out. The Main View I've been generating as an image, which is easy to recreate. And that leaves basically a few buttons and the Options window for the rest of the UI.
The Options Window should be easy to recreate with the same behavior, I will just need to manually create the "Bindings" for the secondary lists, which should also be relatively straightforward.
Oh, and the Station List and Wunderground Forecast Plugins will need to be recreated as well. But those will be done later.

With the dedicated Touch Screen device that I'm planing on, I'm also thinking about giving Add-InWx a "Touch Friendly" option. For the most part it would just enlarge buttons, but might also change the layout of the Settings. Still thinking about it though, so its still got a ways to go. The only reason that I'm thinking about it now is for implementation sake. It will be easier to add Later if I keep it in mind now while I rebuild the UI.

Edit: 2/10/1015 @ 7:40 PM
I have just re-uploaded Version 1.0.2.2 with some major bug fixes. So if you downloaded Version 1.0.2.2 Beta either earlier today or yesterday, I recommend that you download a new copy.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 07:44:01 PM by Josiah »

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2015, 04:50:50 PM »
Hey guys,

After spending the entire day yesterday trying to get access to a Serial Port on my Ubuntu Linux Virtual machine, I can say that Porting (actually, that should be cross-platforming) is going really well again, and I now have a very, very basic version running on Ubuntu Linux.

I'm really liking the way I redesigned the code the last time I rewrote it. Its making this process go really quickly and easily.
So far all the backend stuff is working with almost no code changes. \:D/

And last but not least, here's a screen shot of it running on Ubuntu:

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2015, 10:33:56 AM »
Hey guys,

Its been 2 weeks since my last "news" update, so here's where I'm at now.
For the most part I've figured out how to use the Cairo drawing operations, So now I've got the background image and gradients working.
As it is right now, Its running on Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 Linux, and on my Raspberry Pi 2. GUI is the same on all the operating systems that I've tried it on.

Here's a screen shot of it running on the Pi.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2015, 12:47:47 PM »
Very impressive!  =D>  I am jonesing for the RPi version!
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2015, 03:59:17 PM »
Thanks,
and I am too. I also discovered that the RPi 2 is more than overkill for running Add-InWx. :lol:
I'm planning on getting a 10"+ touchscreen for my Pi a little later, so the interesting part is going to be in adding touchscreen support. ;)
The challenge being in optimizing it for both mouse + keyboard use and touchscreen use, while at the same time minimizing compromises, including the layout. It may be tough, but it should be doable.

The great part about using Mono is that there won't be device or OS specific "versions". What you see and how it works on one platform will be the exact same for any others that it runs on.
And the same goes for the plugins / add-ins, they won't be platform specific either.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 04:02:40 PM by Josiah »

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2015, 03:31:13 PM »
Wow, Its been 3 weeks already. Time goes by so quickly.

Last week my free time was spent building another 60 Open Stub J-poles for upcoming Hamfests so programming was put on a 1 week "hold".
What I have now does run well on my RPI 2, but GUI-wise is still in its infancy.

I've found that GTK# really sucks when it comes to building GUIs. It wouldn't be so bad if there was accurate, complete and up-to-date documentation. But what can I say, GTK is designed for Linux and Linux is not known for its GUI. :roll:

Anyway, when it comes to designing and building GUIs, Microsoft's WPF has really spoiled me. WPF made it really easy to create GUI elements exactly how I wanted them, both in the way they looked and in the way they behaved. On top of that WPF was also designed to use hardware acceleration when possible allowing it to run many varying types of animations smoothly. On the other hand GTK and most of the other GUI toolkits that can run cross-platform (except java, maybe) are designed for creating very "static" UIs, so they don't support animations or customization very well.
If I had continued to use WPF I would have been able to implement the ideas for stuff like "scrolling" or "marque" text, Lightning flashes, falling snowflakes/rain on the background and animated forecast icons all without putting a strain on the system. But such is programming, weigh different options and pick the one that will do the top items on your "Wanted Features" list.

One other GUI tool kit that I'm looking into now is QT: qt-project.org
The only issue there is that (to my knowledge) if I used it the entire plugin system would have to be dropped. Which is not something that I want to do.
An idea that I'm toying with now is to split Add-InWx into 2 programs, the "back-end" one would connect to the stations and support plugins (the Background and Station type) while the second program would be just the GUI.
I'm considering this approach because I would like to eventually create a cell phone app for configuring the back-end and stations. So i would need to write the code to handle setting Station and program configuration from TCP connections anyway. Also by splitting the program like that means that it could run "headless" and on possibly a larger variety of devices. Plus one could setup more than one "display" for viewing station data. An example setup would be a RPI acting as the main "Weather Server" by handling all the Station connections, uploading station data to CWOP, Wunderground etc. Then having any number of "Displays" whether they be PCs, Macs RPIs with attached screens, android tablets or anything else that can run the GUI located in various places around the house, garage and/or workshop.

If it turns out that QT can't do what I would like it to do, then I will probably go back to Winforms for Cross-Platform GUI development. At least then I will be working with something familiar. :roll:

So that's where I'm at right now.
I would really like to see Microsoft release a cross-platform version of WPF. That would really make my day. :grin:

Here's a final thought,
I can't be the only one to think this, but it seems like the major difference between Open Source and Proprietary "closed source" software is speed and quality of development. Its like what happens when a project is open sourced (if the project doesn't die) development slows to a crawl and nobody knows where to go with it. So it doesn't go in any defined direction, but just "Goes".

Offline virusdunil

• Forecaster
    • Station Meteo Hebertville
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2015, 11:45:33 AM »
Hi...just to say that...

dloaded it...
installed it...
configured it for Davis port 1

took less than 5 minutes

and up and running  AT FIRST TRY (that is the most important thing ) =D>

Mainscreen is big,clearly visible, so thats a good start

if you ever need help for translation to french,id be glad to help you....the software is young so

now il try some plugins  ;)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 11:47:29 AM by virusdunil »
Cabled Vantage pro2 + Solar / Stevensen screen
Weather Display latest version + Boltek PCI-NexStorm-StormVue NGX / NSDisplay

http://www.meteolacstjean.com/weather28/index.php
Meteotemplate : http://www.meteolacstjean.com/hebert/index.php

Offline virusdunil

• Forecaster
« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2015, 12:03:45 PM »
Add-In is now running along with WD...

WD on com2 and yours on com3.

I had to delete my first station config cuz pop up showed up saying add-in stopped working du to com port already in use (i think)

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2015, 12:32:48 PM »
Hi...just to say that...

loaded it...
installed it...
configured it for Davis port 1

took less than 5 minutes

and up and running  AT FIRST TRY (that is the most important thing ) =D>
That's a couple of the things I'm after, Quick Easy setup, Intuitive UI, works on the first try.

Mainscreen is big,clearly visible...
yep, even though I have good eyes that's they way I like it. Apparently other people like it that way as well because your not the first one to complement me on it.
And the main reason for the large Size is Readability from across the room. I have it running on a 22" monitor and can clearly read it from 25 plus feet away.

I had to delete my first station config cuz pop up showed up saying add-in stopped working du to com port already in use (i think)
I'll make a note of that bug.
One thing you can do instead of deleting the Station Config file, open it in a text editor like notepad and then Edit the settings. You will want to close Add-InWx before modifying the file.

if you ever need help for translation to french,id be glad to help you....
Thanks! I will probably add Language/Text customization later on so that would be helpful.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 12:39:23 PM by Josiah »

Offline virusdunil

• Forecaster
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2015, 12:35:41 PM »
yuppp...ididnt thaught about this one  #-o  :lol:

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2015, 02:18:57 PM »
While I'm thinking about it, here's another "Status" update.

I've decided to put the GUI work aside for now and work on the back-end stuff. Since there's plenty of things there that I want to do and the code will be the same no matter which GUI toolkit I windup using.
What I'm doing now is working on adding support for managing Davis' Console settings from Add-InWx, so that's something you guys can look forward to.

I've also been playing around with my web hosting account and have discovered a lot of interesting things I can do with that, so now I have even more ideas.

Offline virusdunil

• Forecaster
« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2015, 05:29:45 PM »
Welllll..... :?...Look at the graphs on the right side hehehe

ive lost an hour of data on WD while running with Add-in via VSPE hehehe

Dunno why it does that with add inwx cuz when running with VWS,i dont have that problem

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 05:33:06 PM by virusdunil »

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2015, 05:48:26 PM »
hmm...
how do you have the multiple weather software programs configured to connect to the Station?