Author Topic: Back to VWS  (Read 3360 times)

Offline Davidb

• Contributor
    • Glasson Sailing Club
Back to VWS
« on: September 23, 2022, 06:04:08 AM »
after a year or so running Weather Station3 software to match our club website Wordpress version, I have decided to go back to VWS and see if it still works because I still prefer the graphics, especially the "broadcast.jpg" which gives exactly the detail I want without fuss. It is saving the jpeg into the root foder under c/vws , can this be changed? David

« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 06:22:41 AM by Davidb »

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: Back to VWS
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 07:35:58 AM »
I am still running VWS as one of my weather programs off of VVPRO. If generates graphics that my Kodak W1020 wireless picture frame displays along with weather maps. I have always loved the customizable main display. All my weather programs are installed on a second HD in my weather computer (not in c:/programs) and save data there. Makes upgrading to a new weather computer easier without reinstalling, copying data and reloading settings. You can have VWS save the graphics to any folder by changing the file path under Jpeg image creation setting on each weather item. You can even change the name of the file.

Offline Davidb

• Contributor
    • Glasson Sailing Club
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 09:13:55 AM »
Thanks for that, I'll have another look at it when I can get back to the remote computer on Sunday earliest. It seems to have been easy to set it up so far.

Offline Davidb

• Contributor
    • Glasson Sailing Club
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 02:41:51 AM »
I have got it going again, no problems and it is doing its own ftp, but ideally I shall set it up for "Fling" uploading. Just need to tweak and get the time stamp, etc, sorted.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

But when I try to browse to the root folder in Fling, no files are visible, not sure how to remedy this?

« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 02:44:20 AM by Davidb »

Offline Davidb

• Contributor
    • Glasson Sailing Club
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2022, 04:58:44 AM »

It seems happy enough doing its own ftp and my page is regularly updating, but I have added a line below the "broadcst. jpg" with a link to our weatherlink bulletin, but I need to be logged in to view it, that wasn't needed before, I wonder how to make it public?

"If the graphic above is showing an old Data set, please click HERE for a current report"

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2022, 06:08:21 AM »
If the graphic above is showing an old Data set, please click HERE for a current report"

Says site cannot be reached.

Offline Davidb

• Contributor
    • Glasson Sailing Club
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2022, 07:19:22 AM »
Yes, sorry, I hadn't tested my link. I'll try again:

https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/50e795f2-21f6-4449-85f1-772acdbc7c8f

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2022, 10:57:30 AM »
If you need a copy of the VWS manual I have it as a pdf. However, the software is pretty straightforward. I like how you can arrange the display graphics the way you want them via drag and drop. The only other program that did that was WeatherView 32.

Offline Davidb

• Contributor
    • Glasson Sailing Club
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2022, 01:51:26 AM »
I like how you can arrange the display graphics the way you want them via drag and drop.
I like everything about VWS apart from the fact that it doesn't live stream the images like most other programs seem to do nowadays, I guess that is why it got discontinued.
If your ftp starts failing, you can always switch over to "Fling" (which probably needs a small subscription)