Author Topic: Fall 2016  (Read 25611 times)

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Fall 2016
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2016, 01:23:11 PM »

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2016, 02:16:14 PM »
Been in AZ in January  and people there thought I was crazy  walking around in shorts and Tee. I just smiled then one noticed my trooper license plate. Was coming from Cat school in Peoria to LA to pick up and ship to work to Seattle that was in refurbished at SW Marine.

John

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2016, 03:42:31 PM »
But I'm with Weatherhost waiting for October - that's when things really get nice around here!
Yes, October is my favorite month here. It's also our monthly biggest swing in average daily highs, a drop of 9F.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2016, 02:20:14 AM »
Wow, the weather lady, Emily Sutton, at KFOR-4, Oklahoma City shows off weather model showing a very rainy weekend in Oklahoma thru 1pm Tues., especially in central areas of the state. If the approaching cold front stalls out for a while as forecast, the more the model will be accurate. It will be followed by the first cool spell of the fall with lows in the 50s.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
    • Winter Park Highlands Web cams
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2016, 08:53:56 AM »
Well, came home yesterday evening for a resupply for my fishing trip and woke up to this.  The aspen are pretty much done for another year.

Mark

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." - Dylan

Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24 hr FARS and (2) VantageVues

VP2 uploading via Vue console to CWOP, WU, PWS, and Weathercloud.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2016, 11:50:23 AM »
One thing I dont like about this time of the year here (and same thing happens around the same time in March) is that during the day you feel like wearing a T-shirt and in the evening a  winter jacket. Over the day we have these days temperatures exceeding 20C (approximately 70F), and during the night/in the evening, they drop close to freezing point. So if you are like me going to work in the morning and then coming back home at 11PM, you are either hot during the day, cold in the evening or you have a big bag to which you put all the extra clothes...

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2016, 02:08:09 PM »
Days shorting up  as and temperatures are dropping. Highs been in mid 40"s and last night temp  dropped to 24 deg.  Leave are about all off the trees  so if we get snow as they are forcasting it will cut down on tree breakage. Snow flurries  in Fairbanks and  it clouding up here. First stay around winter snow normally hits  first week of Oct.

John

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2016, 01:52:04 AM »
I don't know how many are familiar with web worms in the trees.  They come from eggs laid on leaves by moths.  When they hatch in late Summer/early Fall, they spin a web that takes over the end of branches to protect the worms while they feed.  Some trees can get almost covered by them.  Ugly as all get out.  I have a few trees that usually get quite a few of them.  When out walking or driving, the trees look like they have clouds of them.

This year, I've only seen a very few along the roads and none at all on my trees.

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
    • Sleeping Saguaros Weather  Mesa, AZ
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2016, 02:19:58 AM »
I don't know how many are familiar with web worms in the trees.
When I was a kid we used to have pecan trees at our house and I remember my father making a torch from a gas-soaked rag and a long metal pole to get up and burn out all those webs.  Haven't seen any in I don't know how long but I remember they were a pain to get rid of.
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2016, 05:07:01 AM »
First freeze is right on schedule looking like Oct. 6-7th. We have had several in mid 30's already but nothing below 32°F (0°C) yet.
Randy

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2016, 09:26:44 AM »
The Euro has freezing low temperatures as far south as the South Dakota/Nebraska border for this upcoming Friday morning.

Nothing close to freezing yet in my neck of the woods, but the drought has already begun to drop the leaves here. That's a disappointment for the tourism industry, as the fall colors are a big deal around here.

It's been nice to finally break the humid cycle around here. We had dew points in the lower to middle 70s practically all summer, and finally broke that about a week ago.

Definitely looking forward to the cooler weather.  8-)
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2016, 10:10:51 AM »
My allergies LOVE cold weather, however in Oklahoma, my favorite is the hard freeze (kills ragweed).  In my neck of the woods, that usually averages out to be around the first two weeks of November.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2016, 11:45:07 AM »
What’s different about northern Nebraska the ragweed doesn't seem as bad here as the deserts of northern Arizona. My allergies have almost gone since moving to Ne. even though it’s much wetter and greener. I think it was the Russian thistle (Tumble weeds) I was most allergic. Not sure it’s even considered a rag weed but fall pollen was really bad and once the first freeze occurred allergies cleared up.   
Randy

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2016, 01:41:05 PM »
Interesting how the weather systems have favored western Oklahoma with so much rain this year that it has been kept clear of any kind of drought now.  The other map from late Sept. is an example of how those rain bearing systems have tended to pretty much exhaust themselves out by the time they arrive to central Oklahoma as in Oklahoma City and my own area.   Further to the east, Tulsa hasn't been getting its fair share, either.  Another rainy period is to set in for a few days starting Tuesday.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 02:14:24 PM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2016, 02:36:58 PM »
Nippy here this mornibg with our first dip into the teens. 17 degrees along with power outage not sure why power was down. Oh well just throw another log on the fire. time to hibernate.

John

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2016, 07:07:58 AM »
Does it normally drop that cold at night the first week of October John?

We're hanging around 50 this morning, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a few 30s show up on the eastern side of the US for lows by the end of the weekend. Bring on the colder weather.  8-)
Joe Fitzwater

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2016, 05:06:38 PM »
Wow, it's October and it warmed up to 91 in Stillwater today, or at least in my backyard.   With a high chance of thunderstorms forecast for Thursday night, hopefully they won't turn real mean.  Last night, it rained nearly 3 inches in the first county north of me.   Only .20" here.  So would settle for it getting a little meaner with the rain. The annual amount rate is still running behind here.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 05:18:40 PM by Bunty »

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2016, 05:22:00 PM »

Hey Farm Talk long time. Yes it is normal for the interior to get that range of temps espically with an omega sitting  smack dab on top of us.  Nice clear nights  with  good displays of  northern lights. Lay in bed watching them  move across the sky from North to the east.
 From  mid September  to now  we can get cold and snow. Last year at this time had 8 inches of snow on the ground.

John

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2016, 08:55:04 PM »

Hey Farm Talk long time. Yes it is normal for the interior to get that range of temps espically with an omega sitting  smack dab on top of us.  Nice clear nights  with  good displays of  northern lights. Lay in bed watching them  move across the sky from North to the east.
 From  mid September  to now  we can get cold and snow. Last year at this time had 8 inches of snow on the ground.

John

Have you had a measurable snow yet? I'm a big outdoors person - seeing a northern lights event is definitely on my bucket list.  8-)
Joe Fitzwater

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2016, 10:26:42 PM »
Not yet. Severaal ridges have new snow and it generally 2 weeks from when they get it. Mid  month if present pattern holds

John

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2016, 07:27:02 AM »
The mountains here got down into the middle 30s last night. Snow isn't as far away as it seems....
Joe Fitzwater

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2016, 10:21:16 AM »
38° and light rain this morning expecting our first widespread freeze by morning once the clouds exit area. This is typical for north central Nebraska with first week of October having first freeze.
Some isolated low lying areas where cold air pools IE river bottoms may of already had a light frost being we've had several mid 30's going back into September.   
Randy

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
    • Winter Park Highlands Web cams
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2016, 11:27:56 AM »
Got home from fishing trip yesterday afternoon in time to get the snow board into position.  Was rewarded with a 1.4" reading this morning.

Mark
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." - Dylan

Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24 hr FARS and (2) VantageVues

VP2 uploading via Vue console to CWOP, WU, PWS, and Weathercloud.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2016, 11:58:09 AM »
18 deg here this morning under clear sky. Sun  not over the horizon yet to melt the heavy frost. Ground starting to set up hard in area where sun does not hit during the day.

John

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2016, 01:17:31 PM »
18 deg here this morning under clear sky. Sun  not over the horizon yet to melt the heavy frost. Ground starting to set up hard in area where sun does not hit during the day.

John

LOL... when I started reading your post I just automatically thought "18 degrees in the morning under clear sky" - thats pretty nice and warm :D Obviously when you mentioned the heavy frost I realized you are probably not talking in deg C :D

We actually had a very warm period up until last week, two days was even absolute record. However on Saturday a cold front arrived and it got much colder and very quickly, so while last week we had even 26C (80F) during the day, now we have daily max around 8C (46F) and during the night close to the freezing point, which is not absolutely rare, but definitely below the average and quite a difference from last week. It just jumped from summer to basically winter... and in addition it is drizzling most of the day, totally overcast and very windy.