Author Topic: Fridge/freezer probes, soil moisture, AND normal weather, all in one gizmo?  (Read 714 times)

Offline myself

A few days ago, I realized my $5 plastic hygrometer is stuck/broken, and went shopping for a replacement. Down the rabbit-hole!

Short-term, I'd like either a simple dumb LCD obelisk that sits on the bookshelf and tells me sensor readings, OR a mobile app that does the same.

Long-term, I'd like to be able to forward my data to CWOP/whatever, and bring it into HomeAssistant.

Of course CWOP doesn't need to know my fridge/freezer temperatures (I assume there's a way to choose which channels get sent as what data!) but it seems silly to have two parallel sets of hardware all doing fundamentally the same thing. So I'm looking for a single "family" of hardware that can do:

• At least four soil moisture probes
  • Two wired temperature probes, cuz the sensor battery won't appreciate my freezer temperature, nor will the RF get out very well
  • Indoor temp/humidity (oh yeah, remember the reason I embarked on this adventure?)
  • Outdoor temp/humidity
  • Basement water leak detector would be nice but not essential
  • Wind/rain/UV, obviously
  • Lightning would be neat. There's already a Blitzortung node near me so my own sensor would just be for giggles

Oh yeah, I would like to make 100% sure that all the local functionality still works (mobile app can still see the gateway as long as the phone's on the same wifi, etc) even when the internet is down. Does anyone check for this? Reviews never seem to mention it.

So far, I'm looking at an Ecowitt GW-1000, a WS68/WS80 for meteo stuff, a bunch of WH51's for soil moisture (do they do temperature?), a WH32 for outdoor temp (can it support more than one of these?), a WH55 water leak sensor, and.... nothing in the Ecowitt lineup seems to support fridge/freezer probes.

One option is to chop open a WH31 and move the sensor onto the end of a piece of wire -- I'm entirely too comfortable with a soldering iron -- and tuck that into my fridge, then do a second one for the freezer. The other option is to find some other-branded sensor in the same family, also 915MHz, and hope the GW-1000 can receive it. I think that's my big question here -- what other-branded probe sensors work with the GW-1000?

Or if there's a whole different ecosystem I should be looking at, I'm all ears! Bonus points for being 433MHz instead of 915 -- I actually have rather a lot of 902-928 gear around here (Ricochet, LoRa, HaLow, RFD900, etc) and I have a hunch the sensors aren't smart enough to listen-before-talk. Thankfully temperatures don't change that quickly so I'm not too bothered if the gateway misses 80% of packets, but 99% might be a problem.

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
Yes Ecowitt GW1000 can do "all" short term requests.
Either with the ecowitt.net website, the wsView app or your own website such as mine ecowitt test-site.
https://pws.sluispark.be/?test

Up to eight extra temp-hum-sensors. I use 4 to test,  also one in my fridge as you can see on the demo-site.
Four soil-moist sensors, max use 2 for testing.
There will be a water-temp with a long wire (will even get the freezer temp correctly) and a soil-temp sensor shortly.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=37373.msg406435#msg406435

Home automation: https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=39478.0

The wsView app only talks to your local GW1000 device, only WiFi is needed for that.

Succes by this "adventure",
Wim
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 03:11:58 PM by wvdkuil »

Offline ramblinche81

Your needs are a little more ambitious than mine beyond soil. I think the gw1000 wired sensor can go in fridge. I cant recall if temp range is good to zero as it is an indoor sensor.
July 2020
Ecowitt GW1000B gateway @ ecowitt.net
Ecowitt WN51 soil moisture x8 (potted plants and landscape beds)
Ecowitt WH57 lightning
Ecowitt WH31 temp x2
Ecowitt WH40 rain gauge
Ecowitt WS68 wind sun sensor
Dragon Touch tablet display with PWT app

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
Temp sensor should be fine.
I have one of my 8 indoor WH31 sensors in my garage freezer which sits around -23C
Its been in there 18 months now with no issues.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

anything