Author Topic: Battery failures on Vantage Vue?  (Read 166795 times)

Offline MaverickNH

Re: Battery failures on Vantage Vue?
« Reply #250 on: March 05, 2014, 02:46:50 PM »
My VantageVue from 2009 has been chewing through batteries every 4-6mo months this last few years. I did the early fix with the smearing on of resistive grease near the battery and upgraded firmware back in 2009.

I finally called Davis and they said I need a new Transmitter board. $150 new with 1yr warranty or $80 refurbished with 90d warranty and send back the old board. I mentioned having read about solar panel issues here but they didn't think that was the problem. So I ordered the refurb board. Hopefully that fixes the issue. Cheaper than a new unit.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #251 on: March 05, 2014, 03:28:03 PM »
This is after-the-fact but, did you consider sending your entire Vantage Vue in for refurb? It is only $100 to get the whole unit checked-out and brought up to date. With a four-year old unit, that may have been the better way to go...
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline MaverickNH

« Reply #252 on: March 05, 2014, 04:10:29 PM »
They mentioned $150 + $50 to install and $12.50 to return, but nothing about a $100 total refurb...

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #253 on: March 05, 2014, 04:42:19 PM »
Hey Don,

Is the $100 refurb limited to the VP2? Don't know, but it would make sense.

George

Offline Weather Spares

• Forecaster
    • Weather Spares
« Reply #254 on: March 05, 2014, 04:48:34 PM »
Slightly off-topic perhaps, but a very recent Vantage Vue ISS I had opened no longer has components that can be unplugged.

The ribbon cables which has plug ends are now replaced with circular cables and most of the internal components are now sealed in a yellow ballistics style gel (for those that watch Mythbusters). You can't get to anything on the main board as it's in a gel block.
Weather Spares - your one stop shop for complete stations, accessories and spare parts for Davis Instruments, Ecowitt, Oregon Scientific, TFA, Ventus, GARNI and many more - https://www.weatherspares.co.uk/ offering global shipping of products.

Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus 24 hour FARS, Meteobridge NANO SD data logger, Davis AirLink, remote Davis anemometer rooftop mounted.
Location 95m altitude, West of Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK.

Offline WXjem

« Reply #255 on: March 05, 2014, 05:15:46 PM »
You can also get a brand new Vantage VUE ISS for $150.00 at Scaled Instruments.  Ryan's former Archer Trading Post.  Check out his Discount Pricing List.

Sounds like Davis has leaned that moisture kills electronics, and is now encapsulating the whole ISS .  Should make for a more reliable system.  Especially here in the Pacific Northwest, where it is wet and damp 9 months out of the year.

Five years life from any ISS is pretty good.  I never had a weather system from any vendor that lasted longer than that.

Jim

JnJ Ranch
Davis Vantage VUE, weewx software
WU: KWADUVAL11

Offline MaverickNH

« Reply #256 on: March 05, 2014, 06:15:59 PM »
Slightly off-topic perhaps, but a very recent Vantage Vue ISS I had opened no longer has components that can be unplugged.

The ribbon cables which has plug ends are now replaced with circular cables and most of the internal components are now sealed in a yellow ballistics style gel (for those that watch Mythbusters). You can't get to anything on the main board as it's in a gel block.

The Technician I spoke did, in fact, say was lucky that my unit had removable components. It was a Rev1 unit, as I recall.

Offline MaverickNH

« Reply #257 on: March 05, 2014, 06:18:20 PM »

Five years life from any ISS is pretty good.  I never had a weather system from any vendor that lasted longer than that.

Jim

Then I'll count myself lucky! Surprised they haven't come out with the new and improved All-in-One for us Wx dilettantes.

Offline weathermedic

« Reply #258 on: March 09, 2014, 09:42:47 PM »
In January, the temp got down to 4 degrees one morning here. The Vue console showed the "low battery transmitter icon" and did indeed go off line until the sun came up later that morning. After midnight that day, the unit reset itself and the low battery message was gone. Got down below 10 degrees one morning last week and the same thing happened. Cleared itself at midnight. I'm guessing the low battery voltage threshold factory set on the Vue was hit when the extreme cold sapped some of the power from the lithium battery (was replaced in late September 2013). How can these units in the colder climates with frequent below zero temperatures in winter be of any use?

Jason in NYC

http://www.weatherlink.com/user/weathermedic/

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=knybrook41
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 09:51:22 PM by weathermedic »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #259 on: March 09, 2014, 09:52:57 PM »
. I'm guessing the low battery voltage threshold factory set on the Vue was hit when the extreme cold sapped some of the power from the lithium battery (was replaced in late September 2013). How can these units in the colder climates with frequent below zero temperatures in winter be of any use?

First - the "low battery voltage" is a warning.  That warning doesn't turn off anything.

Second - clearly, these units are operating 24/7 in much colder climates than yours.

What's the actual current voltage of the battery that you replaced 6 months ago?  Was there snow on the solar panel when the unit went "off line"?  Is your solar panel exposed to the sun all day (as opposed to getting some shade for some of the time)? 

I would ask about the quality of the replacement battery, but that's a bit hard to determine.  There are lots of "fake" name brands out there, and sometimes batteries stay on the store shelf for many years.

At any rate, try replacing the battery and see if that helps survive the cold.

Offline weathermedic

« Reply #260 on: March 09, 2014, 10:05:11 PM »
. I'm guessing the low battery voltage threshold factory set on the Vue was hit when the extreme cold sapped some of the power from the lithium battery (was replaced in late September 2013). How can these units in the colder climates with frequent below zero temperatures in winter be of any use?

First - the "low battery voltage" is a warning.  That warning doesn't turn off anything.

Second - clearly, these units are operating 24/7 in much colder climates than yours.

What's the actual current voltage of the battery that you replaced 6 months ago?  Was there snow on the solar panel when the unit went "off line"?  Is your solar panel exposed to the sun all day (as opposed to getting some shade for some of the time)? 

I would ask about the quality of the replacement battery, but that's a bit hard to determine.  There are lots of "fake" name brands out there, and sometimes batteries stay on the store shelf for many years.

At any rate, try replacing the battery and see if that helps survive the cold.

Battery was new in the package when I put it in. Was not a "name brand" like Duracell, rather a "surefire" brand (they make tactical flashlights, so I thought that would be a good way to go). Don't remember what the voltage was when I got it and tested it on a voltmeter, but I believe it was around 3.25 volts. Solar panel is shade free all day and faces due south. Only problem is, it's up on my peaked roof, which is a bit of a pain to get to. When the weather warms up, I will go up there again and replace the battery with a Duracell or Energizer type cell.

The low battery warning message is indeed a warning, however, after that warning was displayed for a few hours (while it was dark outside) the voltage must have dropped pretty fast in the cold and it stopped gathering data (outside temp, wind speed/direction, etc) until the sun came up and hit the solar panel.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #261 on: March 09, 2014, 10:25:47 PM »
Understood.  When you replace the battery, it will be interesting to see what the voltage is - and perhaps you will put it in your freezer for a few hours and then measure the voltage.  Different brands respond differently to cold temperatures, of course.

Of course, with the unit mounted where it is, it's possible that there's snow (or bird-whatever) on the solar panel.  But a good battery should power it without any sun for more several months.

Bottom line: the behavior that you experienced is unusual.  And many of these units are working through very cold (and dark) conditions.  So, it's a good guess that your experience is due to the battery.

Let us know what you find out, when the weather improves.

Offline LittletonCOwx

• Droplet
« Reply #262 on: March 11, 2014, 12:58:03 PM »

Battery was new in the package when I put it in. Was not a "name brand" like Duracell, rather a "surefire" brand (they make tactical flashlights, so I thought that would be a good way to go). Don't remember what the voltage was when I got it and tested it on a voltmeter, but I believe it was around 3.25 volts. Solar panel is shade free all day and faces due south. Only problem is, it's up on my peaked roof, which is a bit of a pain to get to. When the weather warms up, I will go up there again and replace the battery with a Duracell or Energizer type cell.

The low battery warning message is indeed a warning, however, after that warning was displayed for a few hours (while it was dark outside) the voltage must have dropped pretty fast in the cold and it stopped gathering data (outside temp, wind speed/direction, etc) until the sun came up and hit the solar panel.

Don't bother.  The Surefire battery is as good, and likely better, than a Duracell or Energizer.  Only others I might even recommend would be Sanyo and Battery Station's house brand.  FYI, you don't need to spend $10 or more per battery either, when you can get good ones for less than $2 each (check out my post here).

Understood.  When you replace the battery, it will be interesting to see what the voltage is - and perhaps you will put it in your freezer for a few hours and then measure the voltage.  Different brands respond differently to cold temperatures, of course.

Of course, with the unit mounted where it is, it's possible that there's snow (or bird-whatever) on the solar panel.  But a good battery should power it without any sun for more several months.

Bottom line: the behavior that you experienced is unusual.  And many of these units are working through very cold (and dark) conditions.  So, it's a good guess that your experience is due to the battery.

Let us know what you find out, when the weather improves.

His experience IS unusual, but I disagree that it is the fault of the battery IF he used a brand new one that wasn't bad for some odd reason.  Now, if the solar panel is not providing any power to the ISS, the battery may be getting depleted, but I don't think it should happen quite so quickly either.

The Surefire 123 is the one of the best primary CR123 Lithium batteries on the market, and I say this as someone who has bought literally 3-4 hundred primary Lithium 123 batteries in the past 10 -12 years (and have personally used at least half of them).   :shock:  I won't buy anything other than Surefire, Battery Station, Sanyo, or Duracell (ordered by my opinion, based off of experience, of best down) for use in my gear based on my personal experience with cheap brands.

Primary Lithium CR123 batteries do quite well in the cold, much better than most chemistries.  I'm actually quite surprised Davis provides a Duracell cell with the new Vue units, and not some cheap off brand.
"Engineers don't idle well."     EW4560

Davis Vantage Vue | Belfryboy Clone USB Logger (fw v3.0 compatible :cool:) | MeteoBridge

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #263 on: March 11, 2014, 02:29:20 PM »
I don't own a Vue, but I do use the Surefire 123 batteries on my VP2 stations. Since I switched from Duracell to the Surefire, my battery changes are a lot less frequent. ~$21 for a box of 12 on ebay or Amazon and when I got the box, it was good for 10 years from when I bought them.
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline LittletonCOwx

• Droplet
« Reply #264 on: March 11, 2014, 02:45:04 PM »
I don't own a Vue, but I do use the Surefire 123 batteries on my VP2 stations. Since I switched from Duracell to the Surefire, my battery changes are a lot less frequent. ~$21 for a box of 12 on ebay or Amazon and when I got the box, it was good for 10 years from when I bought them.

Careful buying the Surefire 123's on fleabay.  There ARE counterfeits out there! 

Davis Vantage Vue | Belfryboy Clone USB Logger (fw v3.0 compatible :cool:) | MeteoBridge

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #265 on: March 11, 2014, 03:50:01 PM »
His experience IS unusual, but I disagree that it is the fault of the battery IF he used a brand new one that wasn't bad for some odd reason.  Now, if the solar panel is not providing any power to the ISS, the battery may be getting depleted, but I don't think it should happen quite so quickly either.

OK, so what's your analysis of the problem?  (Low battery warning, followed by offline during extreme cold).

Offline LittletonCOwx

• Droplet
« Reply #266 on: March 11, 2014, 05:01:24 PM »

OK, so what's your analysis of the problem?  (Low battery warning, followed by offline during extreme cold).

I didn't give one, and I wasn't really sure.   #-o  I wasn't trying to stir up anything either; your guess is as good as anything. Note the caveats in my statement (bolded this time for clarity), based on my knowledge of Lithium CR123 batteries.  So, you might well still be correct if this battery was previously used or has some kind of flaw.

One little tidbit of trivia about CR123's (and primary lithium batteries in general) - they typically have a long shelf life (~10 years), until used.  Once you start using them at all, the chemical reaction in the cell begins in earnest, and they will begin to self-discharge even without use.  So don't put one into something, use it a little, then take it out and expect it to still have useable charge 10 years later (or even 5 years later).

So, what else could be the problem in this instance?

Spit-balling: Bad contact at the battery terminals might be one guess.  Cold solder joint somewhere in the battery power circuit might be another.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 05:05:30 PM by LittletonCOwx »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #267 on: March 11, 2014, 10:16:01 PM »
Understood. 

If this were just a case of "quits working when it's cold" it might be several things.  Coupled with the low battery warning - makes it more interesting.

Offline Marty

« Reply #268 on: March 12, 2014, 12:37:01 AM »
I noticed  my vue needs its battery repleced once a year before winter . Roof  mounted  it gets alot of sun ..

Also had the board repleced when a bought in 2011 under warranty from davis   , been on ever since  ....

I wonder what is the lifespan of Vue ?

Marty

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #269 on: March 12, 2014, 11:31:17 AM »
Littleton, apparently there are issues with purchasing Surefires on Amazon, also.  I just looked and it looks like the "six loose batteries in a box" or "all the batteries were taped together" scenario on more than a few instances.  Have you got a good source for the Surefires other than Amazon or eBay?  Thanks,  Ed

Careful buying the Surefire 123's on fleabay.  There ARE counterfeits out there!

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #270 on: March 12, 2014, 01:32:51 PM »
Ed   Look for them BOXED, usually 12/box. When I got them from Amazon, I checked all around for 'good until' dates.
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline LittletonCOwx

• Droplet
« Reply #271 on: March 12, 2014, 04:35:36 PM »
Littleton, apparently there are issues with purchasing Surefires on Amazon, also.  I just looked and it looks like the "six loose batteries in a box" or "all the batteries were taped together" scenario on more than a few instances.  Have you got a good source for the Surefires other than Amazon or eBay?  Thanks,  Ed

Ed,
Battery Station is a good source, and where I usually recommend people to go.  I can't necessarily claim they're the cheapest, but they have decent prices and excellent customer service, and ship quickly.

I've been buying their house brand for everything 123-related for at least the past 6 years, and they are VERY good for the money.  I usually buy at least 50 at a time (typically more because my dad usually gets a box too), so at $1.30 a piece they're a pretty good value overall (they were $1/each for a long time).

Battery Station did a LOT of research when they spec'd these out for their private label, and most everyone thinks they're made by the same company that makes the Surefire batteries with basically the same specifications.  There has been a lot of testing done in the past over at CandlePowerForums that can be found using Google (unless that stuff was lost in their great database crash; I do not know for sure).  They're USA-made too!  Hope that helps!  -Jared.

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #272 on: March 12, 2014, 07:02:05 PM »
Thanks for the replies, ya'll.  The only thing I use the 123 battery in is in a single ISS so buying a bunch of them seems kind of overkill...but $12-$13 for a dozen versus $6-$7 a piece is a no-brainer. I guess I set up an annual-replacement schedule, eh?

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline LittletonCOwx

• Droplet
« Reply #273 on: March 12, 2014, 07:28:53 PM »
Thanks for the replies, ya'll.  The only thing I use the 123 battery in is in a single ISS so buying a bunch of them seems kind of overkill...but $12-$13 for a dozen versus $6-$7 a piece is a no-brainer. I guess I set up an annual-replacement schedule, eh?

Ed

Sounds like it is time to treat yourself to a nice, high-powered LED flashlight while you're at it!  ;) 

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #274 on: March 13, 2014, 12:13:54 AM »

Ed

Sounds like it is time to treat yourself to a nice, high-powered LED flashlight while you're at it!  ;)

<chuckle> Maybe so!  I've tinkered with LEDs since before they started putting them in flashlights...actually modified flashlights back when to take LEDs.  Of course, the flamethrowers out there now far surpass what we tinkered with.  My son-in-law bought me a 3-LED "Cyclops" spotlight for Christmas...runs on 4 (I think it is) AA batteries.  AMAZING POWER!!!  Ah well, we'll see... :)

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

anything