Author Topic: Done  (Read 1121 times)

Offline CBXSteve

• WU PWS KTXPATTO2
Done
« on: February 09, 2019, 12:28:38 PM »
Back on the 4th, I had a visitor here who was trying to plan the next leg of of his bicycle trip up through Arkansas.  The forecasts all predicted rain, so we were watching conditions carefully, trying to get a handle on when he could leave and make some miles without getting dumped on.  I made the mistake of using WU and TWC forecasts and radar information for planning purposes.

On about the 5th, I checked the radar on WU, and to my surprise, it showed that it was raining at my location.  I look outside, nope.  I then went to TWC and saw an identical radar map which indicated rain, and several areas of rain nearby. Confused, I fired up PYKL3 and Radarscope on my phone, and discovered that there was no rain withing 100 miles. This totally fictitious radar feed existed for at least 48 hours.  I can't even imagine how they could supply such a detailed fiction unless they were replaying something from the past, were somehow showing "clear-air" mode, or displaying a model.

To put icing on the cake, my wife dusted that day and disturbed my smart-hub in it's "special" location on the shelf.  I lost comms with Acurite and WU in turn for about 2 hours.  When I discovered the problem, I re-positioned and re-booted the hub and re-established comms with Acurite, but WU never came back up, and still hasn't 3 days later despite attempts to fix it.

This latest annoyance with the loss of connectivity, and the unforgivable dissemination of baloney weather data for 48 hours on two of their sites, has finally convinced me to pull the plug on IBM forever, and by extension, Acurite, who gives me zero native alternatives for sending my data elsewhere. I can not even imagine performing as poorly as IBM does while serving a single customer, much less the millions that depend upon the myriad of quality companies that they have snatched up and ruined, or are in the process of ruining. Is this whole debacle a tax dodge for them?  The can't possibly be trying to supply a quality product.

Anyway, I'm done, pulling the plug, never again to be annoyed or exploited by these creatures.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Re: Done
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 03:45:36 PM »
I'll still use them for them for my Rapid Fire page but I certainly can see why you and everyone else would dump them. The quality has dropped considerably and they don't seem to be in any hurry to fix it.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 05:25:49 PM »
Rule of thumb when you hear of a company purchased by another or merged it rarely leads to good things for consumers.  WU case it got cannibalized for its worldwide pws data so IBM could feed their super weather computer. Nothing else seems to matter.
Randy

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 09:38:55 PM »
IBM could feed their super weather computer.

Which is hilarious considering "Watson" is routinely wrong with forecasts.  A sixth grade science class would do a better job.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 04:55:04 AM »

Which is hilarious considering "Watson" is routinely wrong with forecasts.  A sixth grade science class would do a better job.
Where can you access these forecasts?
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 04:41:46 PM »

Where can you access these forecasts?

WU and TWC both use them for their own forecasts...which are often at odds with NOAA in the wrong direction.

anything