Author Topic: Narrowed down to Davis Vantage Pro2 (Wireless), what else do I need?  (Read 6941 times)

Offline Klaugh

Re: Narrowed down to Davis Vantage Pro2 (Wireless), what else do I need?
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2018, 02:08:52 AM »
@Boss281

I would really love to know what you ended up doing for connectivity as well.  I am definitely a "newbie" to the PWS, ok - not even a newbie as I don't have one yet.  Our local weatherman strongly recommended the Davis line (specifically the VP2), but it is rather expensive for a newbie.  Then adding on the external connectivity - it has gone from ok I'll try it to I really need to give it some serious thought.  If you don't mind (and I completely understand if you choose not to answer), how much was the full setup?  Anything you would do differently? 

Thanks in Advance!!!

Thanks,
Kevin

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2018, 06:26:22 AM »
Hi Kevin:

The Davis VP2 unit, as stated, is replacing my original Ambient Weather WS-1001-WIFI OBSERVER Solar Powered Wireless WiFi Remote Monitoring Weather Station that I picked up several years ago.  That unit was more or less "plug and play", and other than a somewhat tricky to navigate menu system on the console and hookup to the WunderGround network, it did the trick although the humidity module never seemed to work quite right.  And then the unit inexplicably died.  My area of Maryland (somewhat rural north central) has a weird "microclimate", the house is on a ridge, and the winds and precipitation, and even temps, varied somewhat than area forecasts.  That's what got me hooked.

Due to the Wunderground's uncertain future and the inability to provide a stable internet service platform, I decided to look around for an alternative that would give me Wunderground service plus others to use as backups I could access remotely.  Based on what I saw here on the forum, I went with the Davis unit.

I'm still waiting for a component to arrive so I can only comment so far on the weather station and console package for local only service.  It's a bit bigger in hand, and I was a little worried my tripod and pole wouldn't hold it.  I have some pretty big stakes securing it to the ground, but I'll have to wait for the 45mph+ wind gusts that hit us frequently to see if it holds up.

I'm not disappointed with the basic unit, and the console provides me the information next to my favorite chair in the living room.  not having internet access is a bother, so I have the Davis data logger on order, and have the meteobridge in hand (an inexpensive wifi access point with alternative firmware uploaded to the unit).  Once those are in hand I can report back how a fair to middlin internet/network savvy old man got through configuration and connection to the WU and other internet weather service platforms.

The cost is a bitch, it just is.  Had I bought the replacement unit for the Ambient Weather product (now the 1002), I'd only be out $300 through Amazon but still tethered to the WU only.  Not workable for me.  So I spent $485 for the Davis unit, about $125 for the data logger which MUST be purchased to connect the Davis console to the Meteobridge Wifi unit, and (wait for it) $200 for an Ambient Weather pre configured MeteoBridge unit.  I thought about trying it on my own, but after reading the instructions I just didn't feel the level of confidence.  I thought the price way too much, but I had some extra cash and hand and jumped on it.

Once I receive the data logger (not sure why it's taking so long) I'll start the setup process and report back my progress.  This is a lot of money, but I think it will give me much more reliability and longevity than the previous unit, plus access to multiple service platforms.  No more loss of access to my local climate when I'm remote, unless the electricity goes off (only once in the last 5 years)...

Kevin, hope that helps.

John
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 06:28:23 AM by boss281 »
Weather Underground PWS KMDNEWWI3

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2018, 09:03:57 AM »
"Buy once - cry once" like my Dad used to say...
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2018, 10:02:10 AM »
That is a great write-up John.  I am sure it will be helpful to a lot of newbies.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Klaugh

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2018, 02:23:04 PM »
John,

Thank you for such a detailed explanation (including costs).  I really appreciate the help.  It also helps to solidify my thoughts about Ambient Weather vs. Davis.  I was really thinking hard about an AW PWS, but I have heard/read lots of very mixed reviews.  You also make an outstanding point that it is tied only WU.....  which can (at very well might be) a huge problem.

Thanks Again!!!!

Thanks,
Kevin

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2018, 07:19:05 AM »
The data logger arrived yesterday, so I'll try to get the basic internet connection with the unit and the WeatherLink network up and running, then start the process for the Ambient Weather's version of the Meteobridge over the course of the week in between work days (I'm retired but work part time).  I'll post some thoughts about installation as I go along.  I'm curious if I can reuse my WeatherUnderground station ID (https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMDNEWWI3#history) using the Davis station, perhaps someone knows...

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2018, 08:28:04 AM »
The data logger arrived yesterday, so I'll try to get the basic internet connection with the unit and the WeatherLink network up and running, then start the process for the Ambient Weather's version of the Meteobridge over the course of the week in between work days (I'm retired but work part time).  I'll post some thoughts about installation as I go along.  I'm curious if I can reuse my WeatherUnderground station ID (https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMDNEWWI3#history) using the Davis station, perhaps someone knows...

Why not, as long as you are not still uploading using the old station at the same time. I used a Dallas Semiconductor weather station (their chips, TX Wx mechanicals) and uploaded to WU from 1998 to 2011. I used the same ID (now offline since I moved) after installing the Davis. You might want to change your "about this PWS" if you have anything in their about the old station. A "status" comment explaining the change might be good too.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Mchd17

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2018, 09:26:29 AM »
Looking forward to your report boss281. I am currently running an acurite, I will be upgrading to a Davis very soon. Thinking about going the same route you did. Keep us informed on how it goes.

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2018, 09:31:12 AM »

I'm curious if I can reuse my WeatherUnderground station ID (https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMDNEWWI3#history) using the Davis station, perhaps someone knows...

Yes you can, I started with a Accurite 5in1 (it went back in the 30 day return window) and then switched to a VP2. Mine KNCFRANK26  was offline for about 2-3 weeks and it accepted the 1st transaction that Meteobridge sent after being down that long.

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2018, 09:14:47 AM »
I see I'm late to the party here. I have a spare Laptop running Win7 24/7. I configured my Weather System as simple as possible. ISS to Console to USB Data Logger to Laptop to Laptop running WL/Cumulus Software pushing out to WU, PWS and CWOP via wireless ( in work ). Easy peezy....................

CoCoRaHS: NC-JH-80

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2018, 10:46:03 AM »
Okayyyyyy, this isn't even starting well.  I have a Dell laptop running Windows 7 and it's up to date and been running smoothly a long time.  WeatherLink CD inserted, started the installer, and it fails with the "There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package." message.  Stumped...tech support seems closed today for yesterday's holiday...

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2018, 11:15:57 AM »
Try right clicking on the .exe and select properties and then click on the compatiblity tab and try different settings. Also try running as Adminstrator which you should also see by right clicking on the .exe.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:18:30 AM by worachj »

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2018, 11:23:08 AM »
Nope.  I see in another thread in this subforum that someone else had the same problem.