Author Topic: 10-Day Forecasts and "Scientific Reasoning"  (Read 1479 times)

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
10-Day Forecasts and "Scientific Reasoning"
« on: May 16, 2019, 09:02:57 PM »
I have noticed that I now see the frames for the days on the 10-Day Forecast Tab but they are all empty. This tab was empty before. I am using Chrome on a PC and I don't feel that I should have to "Log Out" to see them.

Along with the 10-Day Forecast is access to the NWS "Scientific Forecaster Discussion". This function is available on my Android App but do I really need to squint at the screen on my phone. As of March 29th TWC / WU Support states: The Scientific Reasoning/Discussion sections are currently unavailable. We had to temporarily discontinue these while we move from our older systems to newer ones. We intend to have these back, but it may be a few weeks.  We appreciate your patience. I find that the information supplied by the NWS surpasses the Local Weather Casters on the TV Stations in my area. Patience is wearing thin.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Station Name: Silver Creek II
Latitude / Longitude: 41.925° N, -87.872° W
Elevation: 633
City: Franklin Park
State: IL
Hardware: Ambient Weather WS-2902D

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
Re: 10-Day Forecasts and "Scientific Reasoning"
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 09:46:50 PM »
Not sure if this helps you, but here is the direct link to the mobile version of the National Weather Service site:

https://mobile.weather.gov/index.php#typeLocation

EDIT: New link inserted due to the previous one having problems. After clicking it, you need to type in your zip and then you'll get the latest NWS forecast (7 day only). If you scroll down, you'll see the link to the "Forecaster Discussion".
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 02:35:06 PM by openvista »
Davis Vantage Pro2 AC FARS | https://marquetteweather.com | EW7933

Offline danxx

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 11:54:22 AM »
This was noted a few weeks ago, and seems to be connected with you being logged in to WU. You don't feel you need to log yourself out to see the 10-day forecast? Gee, take that up with WU. Wish it was, but it's not about how we feel. Kinda bizarre that WU doesn't want us to log in.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 07:58:28 PM »
Kinda bizarre that WU doesn't want us to log in.
If you are not logged in you are bombarded with ads.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 08:02:44 AM »
The link I had for the AFD disapeared also.
Try this. Go to this link. https://api.wunderground.com/US/FL/Belleview.html
type in your location and scroll down. You will see a link to the AFD.
Worked for me.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline rpegg

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 12:29:57 PM »
Kinda bizarre that WU doesn't want us to log in.
If you are not logged in you are bombarded with ads.

Don't disagree.   Payed for many years just to stop seeing the ads.  Reported the same 10 day forecast issue about a month ago.   An investigation by one of the senior members found the 10 day forecast problem is account related.   Clearing cookies and history does nothing.  Others reporting the same issue.   I'm guessing if we wanted to quit WU completely and sign back up this issue would go away.   But I would lose my recently installed PWS data.   Wish I knew what the repair priorities were.   If the fix was expected to be months I would probably just cancel and decide whether to start over.

Offline danxx

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 02:24:23 PM »
Are you saying that if you restart a new account, then 10-day forecasts come back when logged in? Do new users not see this problem? I endure the ads, but good 10-day forecasts make them worth it.

As long as we're on the topic of 10-day forecasts, it continues to exasperate me (and I have reported this) that in the 10-day plot, the dew point is plotted on a 0-100F scale, meaning that whatever temperatures are plotted with it end up on that scale. So if you display dew point, the whole plot - everything - gets squished vertically. This is just nuts, and can't be hard to fix. My suspicion is that they have a fraction of a person working part time on all this. My "comfort level" depends on dew point, so how it varies is important to me.

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 05:27:34 PM »
Somehow I was able to get the 10-Day to load while I was logged into my account.  I think I was logged out, loaded the 10-day, had one foot in the air and the other on the floor and then logged into my account. However I have not been able to replicate the event.

I took a chance and tried to retrieve the Scientific Reasoning with this result:
An error occurred while processing your request.
Reference #30.3fbc3b17.1558386949.aa11ed8

Offline rpegg

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 06:10:44 PM »
Are you saying that if you restart a new account, then 10-day forecasts come back when logged in? Do new users not see this problem? I endure the ads, but good 10-day forecasts make them worth it.

As long as we're on the topic of 10-day forecasts, it continues to exasperate me (and I have reported this) that in the 10-day plot, the dew point is plotted on a 0-100F scale, meaning that whatever temperatures are plotted with it end up on that scale. So if you display dew point, the whole plot - everything - gets squished vertically. This is just nuts, and can't be hard to fix. My suspicion is that they have a fraction of a person working part time on all this. My "comfort level" depends on dew point, so how it varies is important to me.

I have no idea.   Was told by a senior member who logged into my machine from his account and he did some other investigation that it was account related not computer related.   Tried three browsers and three computers, one of which had never been logged to WU.   His account works on my computer, mine does not.   Makes sense that if I am on a new account it might work.

Offline rpegg

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 06:12:19 PM »
Somehow I was able to get the 10-Day to load while I was logged into my account.  I think I was logged out, loaded the 10-day, had one foot in the air and the other on the floor and then logged into my account. However I have not been able to replicate the event.

I took a chance and tried to retrieve the Scientific Reasoning with this result:
An error occurred while processing your request.
Reference #30.3fbc3b17.1558386949.aa11ed8

I had another thread about this.   It seems to load further about 12% of the time if I do a refresh.   There are still things missing that show if I am logged out but they are more subtle.   I'm waiting patiently for a fix and not bitchin much.   Just replying to other comments.   My paid subscription doesn't come due again until July.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 06:14:46 PM by rpegg »

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 09:43:36 PM »
This evening the 10-Day Forecasts are loading properly in both Chrome and Firefox when I am logged into my account. I have noticed the Favorites are also loading the locations I have selected in my Profile. However the Scientific Reasoning is still unreasonably missing. A slight glimmer of hope remains. It also looks like the "Nearby Weather Stations" are also back but the "Updated" column is a little off (NaN:aN pm CDT). We also had 0.14" rain this morning, not the -- it is showing.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 09:49:41 PM by Notsorusty »

Offline danxx

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2019, 09:54:13 PM »
Looks like the 10-day is now working for me too, when logged in. It did not before. Progress!

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2019, 10:03:22 PM »
Some progress means some losses, I guess.  Decimals appear to be somewhat working now but something else has changed. It seems that the forecast for July 24th in Chicago (and the rest of the country it seems) was so wonderful that the Scientific Discussion on WU Android is locked in place and hasn't been updated since. I have the NWS Discussion bookmarked on the laptop and the phone but do we really need to go to different sites to get the information we are looking for when it was once available in one location.

As someone once said: To be, or not to be!

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2019, 05:47:12 PM »
The Scientific Discussion appears to be updating now. Currently the last posted report is 2:20 PM CDT Sun July 28 2019.

Nothing yet for the WU web site.

Offline danxx

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2019, 09:30:29 PM »
But it is kind of funny/bizarre (we say that around here a lot, don't we?) that on the web 10-page WU forecast there is still a link to "Scientific Forecaster Discussion", but when you click on it, there is nothing there. If WU is going to take the Scientific Forecaster Discussion offline, you'd think they'd remove that link as well.

At least it's two steps forward for every step backward.

anything