Author Topic: Bricked ObserverIP  (Read 3255 times)

Offline annetoal

Bricked ObserverIP
« on: July 07, 2017, 10:13:44 PM »
Trying to upgrade to firmware 4.1.8, the IPTools program kept aborting and restarting the firmware flash process. I exited the program in the middle of one of these reboot loops, and it appears that the ObserverIP has become nonresponsive to IPTools. It does not show up on the device search page, and the front of the device has lights only on the Power, Link, and Activity LEDs. The LEDs showing radio link activity to the 1400-IP and the Station link are off. 

Has anyone else bricked their ObserverIP, and how did you deal with it?

Thanks,
Anne Toal
KTXEDINB9
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 10:15:18 PM by annetoal »

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
Re: Bricked ObserverIP
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 10:32:41 PM »
There is a "back door" method to recover from a failed update  :grin:

If you don't already have previous firmware versions stored on your computer, download it first.
Start IP Tools, but don't search for the observerIP using the 'Search' button. Click on 'Upgrade'. Choose the firmware .bin file of your choice and click on 'Upgrade Firmware'. After a few seconds, you will see the firmware being pushed to the OIP. This should restore your device to working condition.

I recovered when I bricked mine this way.

Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline annetoal

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 10:47:09 PM »
I am able to do as you instructed. But I keep getting this message. Do you have any experience seeing anything like it?

Received a BOOTP request from device with MAC 00-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx
Received a Read request from 192.168.2.213 on port 1029 (file: C:\Users\...\ambient_v4.1.1.bin).
Read session aborted!

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 10:55:06 PM »
Received a BOOTP request from device with MAC 00-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx
Received a Read request from 192.168.2.213 on port 1029 (file: C:\Users\...\ambient_v4.1.1.bin).

The above two lines is what you should get. I have not seen the third line.
Unplug the OIP for at least 10 seconds, then try the procedure again.
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 10:58:44 PM »
C:\Users\...\ambient_v4.1.1.bin
It might also be read permissions on the folder where the bin file is stored. Create a new folder C:\Ambient and put the bin in there.
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline annetoal

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 11:14:40 PM »
I tried it again from a computer that had a wired connection to the hub where the ObserverIP is, and your backdoor method worked! Thank you very much.

Anne
KTXEDINB9

Offline andyk1

• Contributor
    • Nicoma Park Weather
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 06:55:26 PM »
I found your post D but nothing I've tried works. Bricked upgrading to 4.2.1 reset does nothing power cycling does nothing. To new to open up so returning.

Offline chris1911

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 03:57:59 PM »
I thought mine was bricked when i tried to update to 4.3.6.  I had to stop the upgrade cause it wouldn't do anything and then wouldn't boot up again.  Ended up being the firewall blocking it.

Offline andyk1

• Contributor
    • Nicoma Park Weather
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 09:07:24 PM »
Yes same thing happened to me updating to 4.3.6 As you can see I've had this trouble before. I can't seem to update on my Win10 computer but no problems unbricking or updating firmware on my wife's Win7 machine. Most likely the firewall issue on Win10.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 09:12:47 PM by andyk1 »

Offline unbidden

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 08:07:13 AM »
to andyk1,

I recently had this issue as well. I kept trying the firmware update using and android tablet, each time the update aborted. I then used a Windows 7 based laptop and the firmware updated successfully.

Offline cndawes

• My Garden Weather
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 09:18:05 AM »
Yes same thing happened to me updating to 4.3.6 As you can see I've had this trouble before. I can't seem to update on my Win10 computer but no problems unbricking or updating firmware on my wife's Win7 machine. Most likely the firewall issue on Win10.

Same here ... ended up going into the Win 10 firewall settings to make sure that IPSE (the name for the IP Tools app) had access to both private and public networks. When it was just private it failed. When it had public too it worked.

HTH people with the same issue ...

Offline andyk1

• Contributor
    • Nicoma Park Weather
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 04:33:05 PM »
I really wished they would "Ambient" release the sdk so we could look at it and modify it to our liking. I see so much wrong with it that could be improved. One thing I'd like to see is a calibration mode to set at every 5 or 10 degree mark as sensors age and over time they are off up to 3-5 percent. Same with barometer and wind. Especially below zero I noticed this year.

Offline WA4OPQ

• Forecaster
  • 4 stations: 2902 array, GW1000, 3 on Meteobridge
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2018, 10:32:23 PM »
There is a "back door" method to recover from a failed update  :grin:

If you don't already have previous firmware versions stored on your computer, download it first.
Start IP Tools, but don't search for the observerIP using the 'Search' button. Click on 'Upgrade'. Choose the firmware .bin file of your choice and click on 'Upgrade Firmware'. After a few seconds, you will see the firmware being pushed to the OIP. This should restore your device to working condition.

I recovered when I bricked mine this way.

This worked for me too.  I'm very happy.

Offline cdknudsen

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2020, 12:01:14 PM »
Just went through this. I am upgrading an old WS-1200 to a 2000 so my Observer was at ver 1.3.  I tried upgrading to 4.6 on my Mac and it bricked.  I could not unbrick it with the IPTool method on my MAC.  I was successful unbricking on a windows machine once I opened the firewall.