Author Topic: Where to report temporary stream data?  (Read 1107 times)

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
Where to report temporary stream data?
« on: January 05, 2015, 05:01:54 PM »
I have a temporary stream that forms for a few weeks during the spring and at other times of the year by happenstance.  Unusually, the stream is flowing today after due to a wet weekend winter storm.  It is not a white water rapid, but it's more than a trickle.  I want to report this to Cocorahs.  I plan to report it under Observation Notes or is it a Significant Weather Event?

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
Re: Where to report temporary stream data?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 06:50:59 AM »
I'd suggest adding that info in your observation notes with your daily report. Generally, SWR's are sent for supplemental reports of rain/snow. However, should you send a SWR during times of heavy rain, any flood info is appreciated, even if it's just on your property.
Bill

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: Where to report temporary stream data?
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 08:34:37 AM »
Significant Weather Reports go immediately to the NWS, and some other agencies... they're one of the most under utilized and important areas of CoCoRaHS.... it's virtually the same as calling in on a spotter hotline for many NWS offices.  You determine what is 'significant' weather... and if it's a
fast rising stream, urban flooding,  heavy rains, storm damage, any category that's 'significant' to you.... a bit 'out of the ordinary' for your locale,. Generally, and especially at some NWS offices, CoCoRaHS SWR's are considered reliable and appreciated,  Use them as you see fit: a quarter inch of rain in an hour might qualify in Arizona, but doesn't here in Kentucky.... but if it came out of a 55mph gust front, I'll sure send an SWR!
Observation comment data is not immediately recognized by users of CCR data.... SWRs can be.  Use both places!

anything