Author Topic: Davis VP2 Reception  (Read 515 times)

Offline CSB

Davis VP2 Reception
« on: October 12, 2019, 08:55:03 AM »
I have a Davis VP2 wireless here. New in 2013, never had any trouble with it. Console running on 110 volts, changed the battery in the ISS on 7/1/2018. Lost reception last night, have a steady "L" in the lower right on the console screen. Any suggestions?
CSB

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Davis VP2 Reception
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 09:23:31 AM »
Try new transmitter battery and check wireless channel settings. If poor reception persists then possible supercap fault on transmitter SIM board.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline CSB

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 12:10:18 PM »
     I did the battery change and that did it. The new battery had 3.27 for voltage and the old had 2.27 when it warmed up to room temp.. Cold it was reading 2.07.
     I had that same problem on my old VP but in the end I think it was the S. Cap. and the unit was just plain old. Always did have trouble with reception with that unit.
                                   Thanks Guys

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 12:29:09 PM »
If you changed the battery in July of last year, and it has drained that much since then, assuming it was a good battery to begin with; then I don't think a bad super-cap can be ruled out.

Offline CSB

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 12:43:14 PM »
     The station was new back on 8/2/2013. I did some maintenance on it last year on 7/1/2018 thats when I replaced the battery in the ISS. The voltage on that battery at the time I changed it was 2.96 Volts.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 12:47:27 PM »
For future reference to anyone who might be in need of replacing the SuperCap themselves rather than buying the new board for 128(( have done both)

Bookmark it.

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Pro2%20Supercap%20Replacment%20v1.pdf