Author Topic: No barometer reading on PC  (Read 635 times)

Offline Noel

No barometer reading on PC
« on: February 20, 2020, 06:24:31 AM »
Hi all.

First posting on the WXForum so apologies if 'I've done it wrong mum'. Like what are you supposed to put in the 'Options' lines?

I've been using Wunderground to display my Vue weather data, however recently Wunderground has become 'flakey'.  The situation as I understand it is that they are no longer supporting it, and there is a strong possibility it will be closed soonish.  In addition everytime I access the site Avast informs me that it has blocked an attempt to install a tracking device.

So I've changed over to using the free Davis Weatherlink, all is Ok with one minor exception.  Whilst the current Barometric pressure is displayed on the apps on my iPad and iPhone, on my windows 10 PC the Barometric box is displayed, but inside it is says 'No Data'

I'm not expecting the see charting data as I'm only using the free version, but just the current reading being missing on the PC is illogical.

Any observations/help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks Noel
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 06:37:49 AM by Noel »

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: No barometer reading on PC
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 06:39:40 AM »
It's not 100% clear, but I think you're talking about the pressure trend graph on the weatherlink.com Bulletin?

If so, this is driven by archive data uploaded by your logger (as distinct from uploads of current conditions data). So either you haven't waited long enough (3 hours IIRC) for enough archive data to have been uploaded or your archive upload is not working. If it's the latter then there are a variety of causes but you'd always start with rebooting the console as a possible fix.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 07:30:05 AM »
It would be good to know some more details about your station.

What logger? USB, IP, or Serial or something else?
What software? Weatherlink PC, VWS, Cumulus, Weather-Display, or something else?
Please provide your Weather Underground station ID so that we can see the data.

Also it isn't clear to me what it is that you are referring to that will be "closed soonish." What will be closed? Weather Underground? Your software?

I'm also confused about what is this free Weatherlink. There is free Weatherlink.com and there is now free Weatherlink PC software. Which are you referring to?

Regarding Avast warning...what browser are you using? Chrome, Edge, Internet Explorer, Firefox?
Seems to me like either you have malware on your PC or that Avast isn't working right.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 07:39:42 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Noel

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 11:06:27 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

Answering the questions:

I use a serial logger with an extension cable and USB converter, this is plugged into a small laptop running W7, which always on, the laptop is running Weatherlink 6.0.3.  My ID is HASSOCKS 1, England, GBR.

My second paragraph refers to Wunderground and the problems with it.  Intermittent operation, Avast reporting that the site is attempting to download a tracking device etc.  Looking at:

https://apicommunity.wunderground.com/weatherapi/topics/end-of-service-for-the-weather-underground-api

This site informs:  End of Service for the Weather Underground API.  The WU API has been around since 2010, our infrastructure has struggled to keep up with the growing numbers of users. As a result, we’ve made the difficult decision to retire the Weather Underground API.

I appreciate that this is a year ago, however there are later posts regarding WU and problems.  I hope this explains my reasons for changing to WeatherLink. WeatherLink comes as a free version, which displays no charting data, if charting data is required an annual subscription has to be paid.

I use Chrome.

Malwarebytes, Avast, Superantispyware, CCleaner etc. all report that there is no malware on my PC.  Avast only reports 'attempting to download a tracking device' when I open Wunderground, it does not report when I open any other website, which makes me suspect the website is trying to download tracking data.

This is the url I use to log onto my station
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/32595951-80bb-4821-a3bb-c31456af14a3

I'm not sure if you can open this without logging in, but if you can you will see at the bottom of the screen a box entitled [Barometer, consul, No data]

I'm not talking about the pressure trend graphing.  The apps on my iPhone/iPad, near the bottom, have two boxes. The first displays the current pressure [1011.6mb] and the box below headed 'Barometric Pressure Hourly' says 'no chart data available'.  As said, this is what I was expecting to happen, I wasn't expecting the see charting data as I'm only using the free version.

My question is, why does the app on the Apple devices show 1011.6mb, but the windows 10 page does not.

Thanks Noel

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 11:33:15 AM »
...but if you can you will see at the bottom of the screen a box entitled [Barometer, consul, No data]

That's pressure trend graphing. See my reply above. If you need more help on archive troubleshooting then see:

https://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davis-kb/1/en/topic/errors-with-archive-downloads

(This deals with problems downloading archive data from logger to PC, but it is relevant because if the archive data is not reaching the PC then it cannot be uploaded to weatherlink.com.)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 04:15:49 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 11:57:21 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

Answering the questions:

I use a serial logger with an extension cable and USB converter, this is plugged into a small laptop running W7, which always on, the laptop is running Weatherlink 6.0.3.  My ID is HASSOCKS 1, England, GBR.
Okay good so you are using Weatherlink PC 6.0.3. You gave me your Weatherlink.com ID but I was asking for your wunderground.com station ID.

My second paragraph refers to Wunderground and the problems with it.  Intermittent operation, Avast reporting that the site is attempting to download a tracking device etc.  Looking at:

https://apicommunity.wunderground.com/weatherapi/topics/end-of-service-for-the-weather-underground-api

This site informs:  End of Service for the Weather Underground API.  The WU API has been around since 2010, our infrastructure has struggled to keep up with the growing numbers of users. As a result, we’ve made the difficult decision to retire the Weather Underground API.

I appreciate that this is a year ago, however there are later posts regarding WU and problems.  I hope this explains my reasons for changing to WeatherLink. WeatherLink comes as a free version, which displays no charting data, if charting data is required an annual subscription has to be paid.
Yes Weather Underground (WU) has problems from time to time and you could even argue that they haven't had it all working right for some time. But for the most part it does work save for the last week or so when problems started again.

That said the link that you quoted about the API being retired is a different matter regarding Wunderground (WU). The API being referenced is an old API. It has been replaced with a new API. But for what you are looking to do none of this concerns you. For uploading weather data and that supporting protocol to WU nothing has changed nor is it projected to change. Therefore WU is not soon gong to disappear.

I use Chrome.
Good. That would be the only sensible browser choice especially on a Windows 7 which has had Microsoft support removed starting this past January 2020. I would recommend you consider looking at replacing that computer or attempting to do an operating system upgrade. Adding a new hard drive is an easy way to go so that you can start fresh and not bring over any baggage from Windows 7. Then also get a hard drive enclosure so that you can mount the old hard drive externally and copy all your data (not programs) over to the new installation. Start a new thread and we can help you with the details if you are interested in perusing this.

Malwarebytes, Avast, Superantispyware, CCleaner etc. all report that there is no malware on my PC.  Avast only reports 'attempting to download a tracking device' when I open Wunderground, it does not report when I open any other website, which makes me suspect the website is trying to download tracking data.
If there is no malware on your PC then something is wrong wth Avast. Weatherlink.com and Wunderground.com do not contain any tracking downloads...other than the normal use of cookies (harmless). There is something else going on here. I really think it is time to retire that computer. It isn't safe to keep using Windows 7. I also recommend you uninstall Avast, but I struggle to recommend something better because you are using Windows 7 and I don't know what would still support that. You could give Panda free version a try (https://www.pandasecurity.com/en/homeusers/solutions/free-antivirus/) to see if it works. Otherwise maybe try an reinstall Avast but deselect some of that Internet protection junk. That just slows you down and is annoying. Chrome has some pretty good protection from known bad sites and along with a decent (basic) antivirus that is all you need. Well I say all you need because you Windows has a firewall and you have another firewall at your router. Antivirus companies just like to pile on crap to charge you more. This is just good advice for a current version of an operating system and none of this extra stuff is going to make Windows 7 safer. Bottom line is that there should be no warnings when going to Weatherlink.com and no warnings when going to Wunderground.com. If you see warnings when going there then the problem is with your computer or your network.

This is the url I use to log onto my station
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/32595951-80bb-4821-a3bb-c31456af14a3

I'm not sure if you can open this without logging in, but if you can you will see at the bottom of the screen a box entitled [Barometer, consul, No data]
Yes I have a login and I can see your weatherlink.com station. I see that your barometer is not reporting. I suspect something is up with your display console where the barometer sits. I would recommend power cycling the display console (remove batteries too). Ensure that the logger is securely plugged in and only then power it back up.

I'm not talking about the pressure trend graphing.  The apps on my iPhone/iPad, near the bottom, have two boxes. The first displays the current pressure [1011.6mb] and the box below headed 'Barometric Pressure Hourly' says 'no chart data available'.  As said, this is what I was expecting to happen, I wasn't expecting the see charting data as I'm only using the free version.

My question is, why does the app on the Apple devices show 1011.6mb, but the windows 10 page does not.
The phone app is probably showing a barometer reading because your phone has a barometric sensor built in. I'm about 90% positive on this. I'll let johnd weigh in on this part.

One other thing I'd like to add is that you continue to upload to WU. You can upload to Weatherlink.com and to WU simultaneously via Weatherlink.com.

One last question. Can you confirm that your Davis display console shows the barometric pressure?
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Noel

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 10:27:50 AM »
Hi Galfert and Johnd.

Firstly many thanks for your help, what I thought to be a simple question has become somewhat complicated, sorry, and it appears to be changing on a daily basis.  The WL barometer box with no data now has data in it:-) perhaps I should have been more patient.  I think this proves the box does not show graphing data, although that is what it appears to be as I would have to pay a sub to allow graphing data. #-o

There appears to be some confusion, probably due to my explanations.  So to clarify, the little Samsung laptop, is acting purely as means of downloading data from the Vantage Vue console and uploading it to both WU and WL.
It's only running W7 due to it being incapable of running W10.  It just sits there doing this, no updates and no other use.  It just works, abit with the occasional hiccup.  I hope this has made the operation clearer.  I'm not using the little laptop to access anything, including WU or WL, only to upload data to both of these.

My main PC runs W10, it's fully patched and has no problems.  It, and the Apple apps, are used to display WU and WL.

The Avast popup turns out to be due to a Chrome 'Notification' which appeared to coincide with my opening WU. I have now dealt with this.

Therefore with your reassurances, that WU is OK, I will carry on using it on the PC, and use the apps on the phone and pad when, and if, required.

Regarding your comment that the iPhone XR and iPad have a pressure sensor, you are indeed correct.  I'm still uncertain as to whether the barometer data displayed is obtained from the data provided by WL, or from the internal sensor, however this is not really important as it works.

My Davis Vantage Vue display does show barometric pressure.  I believe that it, and everything else WU, WL and surface level charts, all show pressure at sea level, as this is easier to compare.  This can, if required, be altered to show station location pressure, by altering the settings in the Consul manual.

Many thanks Noel

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 10:37:20 AM »
The WL barometer box with no data now has data in it:-) perhaps I should have been more patient. 

OK, good. As I said above, the pressure graph does require some hours of data before it displays correctly.

I think this proves the box does not show graphing data, although that is what it appears to be as I would have to pay a sub to allow graphing data. #-o

Well, what happens is that even on the free plan, your local weatherlink program IS uploading the archive data. But it's not viewable under the Data tab - that's the limitation of the free plan. However, there's effectively  a small exception for the pressure trend  chart on the Bulletin page which does AIUI use the archvie data for display.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Noel

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 09:12:04 AM »
Hi both.

First a big thank you for all your help.

Things went from bad to worse yesterday, the WeatherLink page, on the laptop, kept displaying "Not Responding" even after waiting for 10 mins.  I deleted 6.0.3, removed all unnecessary software,  did a cleanup using CCleaner and Malwarebytes and rebooted.

I then attempted to download and install 6.0.5.  However this was not as easy as I expected it to be.

Perseverance overcame and now all is OK  :thumbsup:  Data is available on both WL and WU.  Keep your fingers crossed for me.
 UU  Noel

anything