Author Topic: WeatherLink web page refresh interval?  (Read 875 times)

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
WeatherLink web page refresh interval?
« on: February 18, 2020, 11:14:32 AM »
My stations is a Vantage Pro2.  Console is hooked up via USB data logger to a dedicated PC running Windows 10.  I run the Cumulus Windows program to capture and push data to WeatherUnderground and PWSWeather.com.

I also have a WeatherLink Live hub, and a Pro account on Weatherlink. I can view data on the weatherlink.com page for WLLJordans, as well as the Android app.

Question: I am listening to the wind come and go outside the house. But neither the web page or android app show anything close to real time indications of wind speed or direction.  Only the console on the dedicated PC comes close. What is the refresh rate SUPPOSED to be?
Weather Underground PWS KMDNEWWI3

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: WeatherLink web page refresh interval?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 11:45:42 AM »
WLL uploads eg wind data to weatherlink.com once per minute so anything viewed across the Internet will have that as a refresh rate.

If you use the smartphone app via your local WiFi network then you should be able to see wind updates every 2.5 secs approximately (look for the word LIVE towards the top of the display).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 11:51:27 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 11:52:15 AM »
WLL uploads eg wind data to weatherlink.com once per minute so anything viewed across the Internet will have that as a refresh rate.

If you use the smartphone app via your local WiFi network then you should be able to see wind updates every 2.5 secs approximately (look for the word LIVE towards the top of the display).
The smartphone app is not.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 11:55:07 AM »

Wait, interesting.

If I load the app and manually scroll to the wind section, it remains fairly static and may or may not update in 30 seconds or so.  But if I use the bookmark menu and allow it to jump me to wind, it's updating fairly quickly. Odd.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 12:00:30 PM »

...is not what? Receiving live updates? Did you or someone else post about this as being specifically an issue with Pixel phones, or am I imagining that? Have you got a friend with an iPhone who could check whether the iOS app is working OK on your network. And maybe also someone with eg a Samsung Android phone.

Then once you've got this background info you could talk to Davis support.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 12:05:47 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 12:08:24 PM »
Wait, interesting.

If I load the app and manually scroll to the wind section, it remains fairly static and may or may not update in 30 seconds or so.  But if I use the bookmark menu and allow it to jump me to wind, it's updating fairly quickly. Odd.

OK, our posts are overlapping. Yes, I should probably have said: LIVE mode doesn't switch on instantly - it takes some seconds to start seeing the Live data, but thereafter should update with each new wind message. The key thing is does it say LIVE at the top?
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 12:39:42 PM »
Wait, interesting.

OK, our posts are overlapping. Yes, I should probably have said: LIVE mode doesn't switch on instantly - it takes some seconds to start seeing the Live data, but thereafter should update with each new wind message. The key thing is does it say LIVE at the top?

Are you with Davis?

Pixel 3a, all updates.

It never says "live" unless I touch the page.
The summary at the very top doesn't update unless I touch the page again.
If I scroll down to wind, it says Wind-Live at teh top. Nothing updates.
If I use the menu to jump to wind, sometimes it updates all the time, sometimes not at all. The wind is up and down contantly from from 5-15mph and nothing is changing at all now. I have to touch the page to get a refresh.
If I try to go back one step (the home page), it's now all white and +Stations or Account icon only yield another white screen.

I've called once about this particular issue, was told an "update" fixed all this. My version is 2.0.277.

I do NOT have access to anyone else with other phones or OSs. Sorry.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 01:36:24 PM »
We're Davis dealers, but not otherwise associated with Davis. And sorry, I don't have much more to add:

Unless you can get a non-Pixel phone into your house/office/whatever and see if that can receive LIVE data OK then there's always a nagging doubt that it's somehow a network issue (though I doubt this). But assuming that you can confirm it's a Pixel issue then only Davis developers are able to identify the exact cause and update the Android app with a fix and so you have to stay in communication with Davis support.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 01:38:25 PM »
You know, let me try getting an update from tech support on the Pixel issue...

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2020, 02:13:17 PM »
You could try installing Nox Player (Android emulator) and then set it for bridge mode and then install and run the Weatherlink app. It would be a way to test Android (of a different type than Pixel) for free as a virtual device on your network.

I wrote the following post for the Ecowitt GW1000 but you can do the same (follow instructions to install Nox Player) for use with the WLL and instead of installing the Ecowitt GW1000 app (WS View) in the Nox Player you would install the Weatherlink app.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36792.0
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 02:14:51 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2020, 02:16:37 PM »
I called Tech Support. The individual on the phone walked me through some things as I described the issues explained above, and I also emphasized there are reports of others that do (and don't) have trouble with Pixel phones.  My wife has an LG G5 that I'm going to test, although thing is on its last legs battery wise...

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2020, 02:17:19 PM »
You could try installing Nox Player (Android emulator) and then set it for bridge mode and then install and run the Weatherlink app. It would be a way to test Android (of a different type than Pixel) for free as a virtual device on your network.

I wrote the following post for the Ecowitt GW1000 but you can do the same (follow instructions to install Nox Player) for use with the WLL and instead of installing the Ecowitt GW1000 app (WS View) in the Nox Player you would install the Weatherlink app.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36792.0

I'm installing the app my wife's phone and tablet tomorrow. She's bringing them in tonight.

Offline racer3

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2020, 06:09:41 AM »
I have a Samsung S7 and I have the same problem with the wind in the app. It says LIVE but does not change unless I touch the screen. I will be standing next to the console and see the phone is not updating till I slightly move the app. It only updated when I move it.  Started probably a couple weeks ago. Whenever you call or email tech I get the same answer that they will give the problem to their engineers.

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2020, 06:20:51 AM »
I have a Samsung S7 and I have the same problem with the wind in the app. It says LIVE but does not change unless I touch the screen. I will be standing next to the console and see the phone is not updating till I slightly move the app. It only updated when I move it.  Started probably a couple weeks ago. Whenever you call or email tech I get the same answer that they will give the problem to their engineers.
Crap...