Author Topic: Wind direction sensor - "zeroing" existing offset in console after upgrade  (Read 353 times)

Offline SpartanWX

• Senior Contributor
My 12 year old anemometer gave up the ghost so I replaced it with a new 6410.  The direction sensor on the old version had to be manually adjusted to N via settings in the console.  This was due to the fact that the potentiometer which provided the signal was not registered to the orientation of the arm or the vane.

The new version as of a few years ago has the potentiometer aligned to the sensor arm, and registered to the vane with a D-notch.  So when the arm is pointed north, no adjustment is necessary in the console.  Zero is Zero.

This is fine on a new install with a new console.  But when upgrading/replacing the anemometer on an existing console where an offset had previously entered, how does one compel the console to forget the old value and eliminate any offset?

The way I understand the offset/adjustment to work is that you simply observe the direction of the vane and input the corresponding heading in the console.  I just want the console to simply read the output of the sensor now and not make any corrections.

It appears the only thing for me to do is to manually calibrate the anemometer again (which means monkeying my way onto a two story roof after manipulating a huge ladder on a tiny deck to point the vane N and set the console to zero).  Or, just eyeball it from the ground and get it +/- 15 degrees or so.

Suggestions?

Offline SpartanWX

• Senior Contributor
Re: Wind direction sensor - "zeroing" existing offset in console after upgrade
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 04:50:04 PM »
Awesome =)  Thanks so much!

anything