Author Topic: Silly lightening question  (Read 573 times)

Offline Theo

Silly lightening question
« on: July 19, 2019, 07:03:47 PM »
So, I added and Atlas and related stuffs as I have not been super happy with my WS-2000.  I was stoked to have a lightening detector, however, after a big storm and 177 lighten strikes, the data is pretty much a let down, as that is all it tells me, except the distance as the strikes go on.  Since the Atlas has not be decoded for rtl_433 yet (and I can't even see anything from it on 433mhz), I have to rely on the AcuRite site to report lighten since I have weewx using the WU client.  Am I missing something here, is that all you really get?  I was hoping for more, but even looking at Pat O'Briens awesome belchertownweather.com site, it looks like it is only tracking strikes and average distance. 

Probably just me hoping for some cool circle on a map with where the strikes were like windy.com without researching what really happens.  :)

If I am missing something, let me know. I have not decided to keep the Atlas yet, but I really don't want to spend the $$$ to go Davis at this point.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Silly lightening question
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 07:33:33 PM »
The AS39395 chip is designed to tell you the the distance to the apparent storm front based on electrical activity.  It's not going to give you the exact distance of every particular electrical strike.

I've found it correlates well as storm fronts pass through.  The more electrical activity in the storm, the more apparent the correlation, especially when compared to the radar data.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 08:55:16 AM »
The Franklin AS3935 is a consumer-grade device, intended more for getting kids safely off of a football pitch than actual accurate scientific measurements.  It has no way to determine direction, and its distance reports are grouped into distance range bands that may or may not be accurate for any given storm.

The spec sheet for the chip is widely available all over the web, and makes good rainy day reading.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 11:29:02 AM »
Start here, http://sferics.us/ explore from here the BT Project et.al ...

anything