Author Topic: Assistance mounting a Vantage Pro2  (Read 1552 times)

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
Assistance mounting a Vantage Pro2
« on: November 15, 2023, 06:47:05 PM »
The wife no longer wants me to get on ladders so my mounting options are limited.  Based on the station needing to be in the open, it seems my best option is to use u-bolts and mount a pole to this corner aluminum fence post.  This post would be the strongest since it is supported in 2 directions.  Would this be sufficient support for a 10 – 12 ft post in the wind?  The anemometer would be at the top.  That fence sits atop a 6 ft. high wall. I’d prefer a telescopic pole so that all maintenance would be at ground level and I wouldn't have to get help.  Is there a telescopic pole 10 – 15 ft tall for <$100 that could be recommended.  The 15ft would be in case I had to put it into the ground if the fence post is unacceptable. 

The trees in the photo are at least 12 – 15 ft from the fence.  I know this isn’t ideal either but it is all I have to work with.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 07:38:53 AM by hdtvluvr »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Assistance mounting a Vantage Pro2
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2023, 08:27:44 PM »
That's fine. Biggest problem will be getting the rain gauge to be level and not shimmy in the wind.

Offline Central Maine Weather

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2023, 08:55:11 PM »
I think that location will work well. I’m familiar with tripod mounts and gable-end mounts myself so sadly I can’t offer too much advice on telescoping poles, but I know enough about them to know that it would most likely be ideal for your situation. When you can’t get the sensors in their ideal locations, compromise is key, but in the case of the Vantage Pro2 you’ve ordered, it’s nice being able to separate the sensors (high for the anemometer and roughly 5-6’ for the rest of the ISS). Your wind readings will likely be skewed lower because of the trees and a lower mounting location than if it were up on the roof, but your temp and rain readings should be perfect. I say get the anemometer up as high as you can while still keeping the wife happy  ;)
Central Maine Weather | Manchester, ME, USA
Davis Vantage Pro2 w/24hr FARS & WeatherLink Live
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55
My YouTube Channel = https://www.youtube.com/@OffTrailMaine

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2023, 09:06:52 PM »
That's fine. Biggest problem will be getting the rain gauge to be level and not shimmy in the wind.

The rain gauge would be mounted on a lower pole section 2 - 3 ft above the rail.  Hoping that would be sturdy enough.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2023, 09:42:42 PM »
Not ideal, but better than nothing.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2023, 09:48:19 PM »

The rain gauge would be mounted on a lower pole section 2 - 3 ft above the rail.  Hoping that would be sturdy enough.

Might have referring to a Vue and not a VP2?

You could also mount the ISS directly to or on top of the fence post one panel back from the corner post and mount the anemometer on the pole to the corner post? ISS doesn't want to be or needs to be higher then top of the fence, better maintenance wise for the ISS and easier to access the anemometer without pulling everything down     

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2023, 10:04:46 PM »
The fence rail is 3 ft. high.  I thought the rain gauge needed to be about 6 ft from the ground.  If I mounted it to the same pole as the anemometer I wouldn't have to lower anything to service the ISS.  Would just need to lower it for the anemometer should it need servicing.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2023, 10:19:28 PM »
I think the ISS a foot or so above the rail is fine for temp and rain. Don't overthink it.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2023, 12:09:22 AM »
With consumer PWS most things are a compromise, but typically rain gauges are mounted at ground level with the top of the gauge about 1 to 1.5 feet above GL, temperature typically around 4-5 foot above GL, VP2 3-4 feet above ground level is a good compromise considering the combination. The anemometer at times will require servicing (cleaning) and replacing at some time and having the ISS separate from the same pole the anemometer is mounted also reduces any rain affect from the anemometer pole.   

Offline rv1cj

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2023, 01:27:53 AM »
Install the ISS at chest level, so that it is convenient to service, raise the anemometer 5-6 feet. This will be a compromise solution and your wife will be happy.

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2023, 09:57:48 AM »
I've decided to mount the VP2 units separately.  I'm going to mount the Temp/rain part on the fence post to the left of the corner post in the photo.  Since that post is squared I've found a mount.  However, I am wanting to mount a pole to the inside of the corner post.  Diagonally the post measures 2.8".  Let's call it 3.  The pipe/mast is 2 inches.  I've found a double clamp that would be great if it was 3 inches wide.  Here it is for reference: https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Mounting-Hardware-Umbrella-Parasols/dp/B0C4F1X3DX/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=kQDsN&content-id=amzn1.sym.35cab78c-35e3-4fc1-aab0-27eaa6c86063%3Aamzn1.symc.e5c80209-769f-4ade-a325-2eaec14b8e0e&pf_rd_p=35cab78c-35e3-4fc1-aab0-27eaa6c86063&pf_rd_r=4VMFXD3R8CWC019FXFMH&pd_rd_wg=gy7rJ&pd_rd_r=ed2311e0-2e26-49cd-8858-50a761f9aee9&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

It is only 1.9 inches between the threaded rods. 

How would you mount a pole onto this corner post.  Drilling is not an option.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 09:59:42 AM by hdtvluvr »

Offline rv1cj

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2023, 03:22:11 PM »
You can install it in the next post. I understand the post width is 2 inches. Then these fastenings will be suitable for this.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 03:25:12 PM by rv1cj »

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2023, 05:32:51 PM »
Your marked fence post is on my neighbor's side.  Can't use it.  The corner post is the property line.  Wanting to use the corner post for more stability for the pole.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 07:58:05 PM by hdtvluvr »

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2023, 09:10:24 AM »
Thanks for continuing to help.  Your last link would be great but the distance center to center of the bolt holes is 2.8" so it wouldn't allow clearance for the diagonal measure of the corner post (2.8").  Needs to be 2.8 inches at least between the threaded rods/bolts.   Searching this morning I was able to find this: https://www.3starinc.com/heavy_duty_pole_to_pole_mast_mount_medium that goes to 3 inches.  They also have https://www.3starinc.com/heavy_duty_pole_to_pole_mast_mount_large that goes to 4 inches. 

Offline rv1cj

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2023, 11:48:51 AM »
Yes, this is a good solution  [tup] . I didn't find this on Amazon.

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2023, 07:34:22 AM »
I got a used pin locking 20 ft. flag pole yesterday for $50.  Now the question is should I extend it as high as it will go?  Or somewhere in between?  I think putting it all the way up would be the best but I'm not sure.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 03:01:58 PM by hdtvluvr »

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2023, 05:24:19 AM »
I got a used pin locking 20 ft. flag pole yesterday for $50.  Now the question is should I extend it as high as it will go?  Or somewhere in between?  I think putting it all the way up would be the best but I'm not sure.
I think it is experimentation time. A flag pole should be pretty stiff depending on the wind loading/flag sized assumed so I would put it up at max height and then check. You always have the option of guying it if there is too much movement

Given it is second hand I would have a really good look for corrosion etc before committing. Also check that communications are ok in that location

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2023, 05:42:30 AM »
I think it is experimentation time. A flag pole should be pretty stiff depending on the wind loading/flag sized assumed so I would put it up at max height and then check. You always have the option of guying it if there is too much movement

Given it is second hand I would have a really good look for corrosion etc before committing. Also check that communications are ok in that location
final thought, even with square section u-bolt it might be worth protecting the post with a cover before attaching. Makes for good neighbourly relations and avoids creating potential damage and a corrosion attack point (dissimilar metals) as your pole flexes

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2023, 05:47:11 AM »
Best to be somewhere in between, stay away from having guy wires, PITA. Also don't want to put too much stress on a simple fence post. Assume this flag pole will be for anemometer only? The best place for the ISS on one of the other fence posts. 

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2023, 08:07:04 AM »

final thought, even with square section u-bolt it might be worth protecting the post with a cover before attaching. Makes for good neighbourly relations and avoids creating potential damage and a corrosion attack point (dissimilar metals) as your pole flexes
[/quote]

The flag pole is all aluminum.  The fence is also aluminum but the u-bolts are obviously not.  The clamps are galvanized steel.  The all thread and nuts are ??  What would you suggest I use to cover the post before attachment?  I do plan to paint the clamps to somewhat match the posts but paint won't be enough to prevent galvanic corrosion.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 08:43:40 AM by hdtvluvr »

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2023, 08:10:27 AM »
Best to be somewhere in between, stay away from having guy wires, PITA. Also don't want to put too much stress on a simple fence post. Assume this flag pole will be for anemometer only? The best place for the ISS on one of the other fence posts.

The pole is for the anemometer only.  It is all aluminum so relatively light.  I also worry about the stress on the fence post.  A little weight with a long lever can put a lot of stress on the post.  I plan to mount the ISS 1 or 2 posts away.

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2023, 12:42:19 PM »

The flag pole is all aluminum.  The fence is also aluminum but the u-bolts are obviously not.  The clamps are galvanized steel.  The all thread and nuts are ??  What would you suggest I use to cover the post before attachment?  I do plan to paint the clamps to somewhat match the posts but paint won't be enough to prevent galvanic corrosion.
[/quote]

Well the exam answer is to use aluminium ubolts and fasteners! A decent insulator is all you need, rubber sheet or polypropylene tape for example

I see you are in Florida, if it's a marine environment you really need to pay attention to this and keep an eye on it. Regular maintenance will also prevent it getting too bad

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2023, 02:51:13 PM »
Thanks.  I'm in the center of the state so no marine issues.

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2023, 07:37:42 PM »
Success!  Thanks everyone.

I now have everything installed and pushing data to WLL and WeatherUnderground using WeatherLink Live module.  It was VERY easy to set up.  ISS signal travels about 72 ft and then passes through a cinder block wall with stucco.  No wire mesh on the stucco.  Signal strength (Davis Talk Rssi) says -68 with Reception showing 100%.  I assume that if I get 100% reception, the signal strength isn't necessarily important.  Is that correct?

The ISS is 5 ft high at the bottom of the passive radiation shield.   The anemometer is on the tall pole and the top of the mount of the anemometer is 10 ft. high.  I really wanted to use the corner post but the mast clamps didn't want to cooperate being placed diagonally on the post.  So I had to mount them on a flat part thus had to move it down the fence some.  This also led me to reduce the height as to put less potential stress on the fence post.  I used the upper 3 sections of a 20 ft. pin lock flag pole.  Top section for the ISS and the other 2 for the anemometer.  I extended the 2 sections to 10 ft and bored a hole through the 2 sections and inserted a clevis pin to secure it at that height.  I can collapse the pole very easily.

anything