Author Topic: Lacrosse 2811  (Read 9697 times)

Offline gwfrench9

Lacrosse 2811
« on: June 14, 2010, 08:24:33 PM »
Just curious who has the Lacrosse 2811 and if you are having any issues with it. So far I notice any less than 5 mph on wind and my direction is all over the place and my rain gauge is doubling the actual amount.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: Lacrosse 2811
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 08:49:46 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum!
Your double rain readings sound like what the 2810 station experiences. Supposedly LaCrosse has a fix for this. Some members on here have addressed the problem ourselves http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=6042.30 by adjusting the bucket stops or reducing the collection aperture.

The weather vane is really sensitive and you may be getting turbulence from it's mounted location. Wind will swirl around from all directions from roof slopes, nearby trees, walls, etc. You might want to raise it higher if possible.

Dan
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 09:07:56 PM by DanS »

Offline gwfrench9

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 09:43:48 AM »
Hi Dan, Thanks for your reply. I have seen  what the other people have done to fix the problem with the tipping cup but am more interested in the company fixing the problem having the unit for only a month. I have my wind gauge mounted at 5 feet above the roof line and do watch the wind direction just spin in lite wind conditions. I probably will try a different location at a later date. I had a friend come over after my placement of the sensors who has a BA in meteorology and he was fine with the locations other than saying that I live in a tree bowel and I probably will get some wind swirling (my wording). I do like the system setup and the computer link software that I had to download from Lacrosse because it somehow got left out of the package along with the manual and batteries. The Wireless features are working fine only one time that I lost communication in a month. I do hope that Lacrosse does have a fix for the Rain issue, I really think that putting a product out with this problem shows poor QC following the issues with the 2810 model.   

Offline gwfrench9

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 11:52:59 AM »
Well I just got off the phone with Lacrosse and they do know about the problem and have new parts being built and was told that August or September they will be shipped. Its the thermo-hygro sensor. I don't understand why things didn't get tested prior to the release of this product. The rep I talked to was very sympathetic to my issue and was able to convince me to wait for the updated gauge. I will Keep you posted on the progress. For now between the online publishing software tweaking and dividing the readout station by 2 we will survive.   

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 06:33:03 PM »
Well I just got off the phone with Lacrosse and they do know about the problem and have new parts being built and was told that August or September they will be shipped. Its the thermo-hygro sensor. I don't understand why things didn't get tested prior to the release of this product. The rep I talked to was very sympathetic to my issue and was able to convince me to wait for the updated gauge. I will Keep you posted on the progress. For now between the online publishing software tweaking and dividing the readout station by 2 we will survive.   

Thanks

Lacrosse told me back in April that they would send me a new thermo sensor for my 2810 in September to correct the double rainfall.

Offline gwfrench9

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 08:40:23 PM »
I hope they make enough of them!!

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 11:26:42 AM »
Just curious who has the Lacrosse 2811 and if you are having any issues with it. So far I notice any less than 5 mph on wind and my direction is all over the place and my rain gauge is doubling the actual amount.

I can't believe they released the 2811 with the faulty rain calculation.  We've been telling them about the problem with the 2810 for almost 8 months. :-(

Offline DW5474

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 09:23:14 PM »
I have a LaCrosse 2811, just got it online on CWOP DW5474. It has been running for most of the month but I just got software and stuff up last night and tonight. I did question some rain amounts but we did have BIG rains, so not sure yet if it is off or not. I'll compare it closer to the stand alone rain gauge (not electronic).

I just got on here too, so I don't know enough to even answer intelligently, so sorry if this is just SPAM.

73 (Best Wishes)
Don AE0D

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  I hope you enjoy your stay!  :)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 11:25:22 PM »
Hi Don and welcome to the forum ! Good luck with your 2811 and hope you get it all running smooth. Lots of folks on here can help if you need it.

Dan

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 08:10:40 PM »
I just purchased my unit this past Sunday (August 8th) so it's still new to me! Got it at Cabela's at a STEAL of a price (which I won't mention here; don't want to break any rules!). I too noticed the wind vane moving everywhere when the cups weren't even budging. No issue though.

However, I have wanted to upload the data to the Internet and my web site and I'm having a problem with that! I have downloaded the "Cumulus" program and have tried numerous times to get it to go through. In fact opening up the file with MS Spreadsheet I can view the information from the unit. However I am not getting any readings at all on the main console for the Cumulus program. I'm not even getting an error message, just a bunch of 0's. Any ideas, suggestions, I'd be grateful.

One last thing... any way to set the program to summarize daily high's, low's etc with a historyx.dat file? I havew it set to archive readings every 30 minutes, but I can't seem to find a place that can do that. I'm talking something like what Davis Instruments does when it archives data to my other comp with my WW II outfit. Thanks again!

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 09:33:48 AM »
Welcome to the forum nctohwx.
I am not familiar with Cumulus and how it's set up but I use WuHu to upload my ws-2810's data and know it needs to read the currdat.lst file from the station. Perhaps Cumulus needs this as well?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 12:45:05 PM by DanS »

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 01:26:33 PM »
Hey thanks for the quick reply!!  :grin: Where do I find what I need in WuHu? I know they have an e-mail group but otherwise I'm in the dark. I appreciate your assistance!

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 08:36:33 PM »

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 06:45:59 PM »
Thanks for all of the help guys, I appreciate it! In the end I ended up downloading the VWS program which enabled me to upload my information to the Wunderground site. I do though have another question which I am about to explore...

As mentioned I have the La Crosse 2811. It updates on average every 7 to 12 seconds + / -. Is there any way to get it tyo update a lote more frequently? Thanks again!

Offline gwfrench9

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 08:05:35 PM »
Well a bit of bad news, I talked to Lacrosse the other day and it sounds like they aren't sure what they are going to do about the problem with the rain sensor . There is a couple of options that were disclosed to me, not sure if a new a new replacement of the Thermo Hygro unit or send out the next version of weather stations that should be coming out. At this point I was assured that something was in the works but no company decision has been made. This is a bit different than they told me a couple of months ago, I still was told that warranty was still good as long as this issue is still ongoing. I do feel that I was lied to about replacements were in production and were to be shipped out prior to the end of September. So we wait on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 09:21:10 PM »
I was with the understanding that LaCrosse has been sending out replacement thermo/hygro sensors to correct the rain guage measurement problem. This is happening both in the U.S. and internationally.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 09:54:02 PM by DanS »

Offline gwfrench9

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 07:56:03 PM »
Well if they are doing this than they better tell the person I talked to!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline gwfrench9

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 04:40:50 PM »
Well after 5 Months of waiting I called today and talked to the Tec person and they said that they still don't have any replacements and couldn't tell me when this issue will be fixed. I asked for my money back and they refused and said that they wont and I just have to wait. They have a new version the 2812 and still cant fix the older model??, and won't honor their warranty. I would warn those who are looking at their products be careful.

Offline WeatherCat

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2010, 09:48:13 PM »
This is what La Crosse told me today because of the rain problem:

Please send your WS-2810U-IT and all sensors to:

La Crosse Technology
Warranty Department
2817 Losey Blvd South
La Crosse WI 54601

Please note that we are currently experiencing a backorder on parts for your system. We are expecting parts to arrive toward the end of the year. At that time, the system will be exchanged for the WS-2812U-IT system which has the same features and functions but the display will have a different physical design. Your warranty will start anew at the time of the replacement. We regret the delay and appreciate your patience and understanding.

Offline gwfrench9

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2010, 08:17:53 PM »
Well today I sent my 2811 back to Lacrosse for a refund, thanks to Joe from WeatherBuffs.com. Time for me to move to something else.