Author Topic: Setting up the wind vane on the WMR80  (Read 12586 times)

Offline phil2010

Setting up the wind vane on the WMR80
« on: May 07, 2010, 04:59:14 PM »
Im I rightly thinking, to set up the wind vane on the anemometer for the WMR80, you need to.........
1 Put it where you want it
2 find north with a compass
3 hold the vane in the north position while pressing reset on the anemometer?

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
Re: Setting up the wind vane on the WMR80
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 05:55:24 PM »
  Here is a link to the manual for the WMR80:
     http://www2.oregonscientific.com/ulimages/manuals2/wmr80_us.pdf
   Good luck and welcome to the forum. 
     Mark

Offline phil2010

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 06:25:22 PM »
  Here is a link to the manual for the WMR80:
     http://www2.oregonscientific.com/ulimages/manuals2/wmr80_us.pdf

Mark

Yeah Ive read the manual, but it doesn't say much about setting the wind vane up accept for "Ensure that the wind sensor is pointing
North to enable it to record accurate readings." So does that mean you have to turn the whole thing to north? With other weather station manuals it says to just make sure the vane is pointing north before installing the batts, cos where ever the vane is pointing when batts are first installed, thats north :?:

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Thanks 8-)

Offline phil2010

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 06:31:23 PM »
Its the Oregon WGR800 wind sensor.

Its not the end of the world if the whole sensor needs to point north, cos Im thinking about mounting a wooden post on a wooden base, then putting a few bricks on the base so it cant tip over.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 06:53:41 PM by phil2010 »

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 07:43:27 PM »
I believe that the manual is referring to mounting the anemometer/vane assembly pointing north is meaning the small mount arm it's connected to points north. Batteries in or out wouldn't matter while aligning. Look around on the anemomter/vane case for possible N,E,S,W markings.

Offline phil2010

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 07:56:30 PM »
I believe that the manual is referring to mounting the anemometer/vane assembly pointing north is meaning the small mount arm it's connected to points north. Batteries in or out wouldn't matter while aligning. Look around on the anemomter/vane case for possible N,E,S,W markings.

That would be easier in the long run I guess, because I wont have to mess about finding north and holding the vane in that position when changing the batts.

Offline phil2010

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 06:30:59 PM »
Took me quite a few hrs to set up today and and yes the wind sensor needs to be facing north,, here are some pics I took this evening of it and yes the rain gauge is level but dont look like it. Its amazing how little amount of wind sets the wind sensor spinning.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 07:35:32 PM »
Good work! You might want to raise the wind sensor up higher to get further away from that wall and other material below it. Probably quite a bit of turbulence, vortex's, etc.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 07:36:38 PM »
   When I first installed my first station, a LaCrosse WS-2315, I too was amazed at how little air movement to engage the fan blades.

Offline phil2010

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 06:32:57 AM »
Good work! You might want to raise the wind sensor up higher to get further away from that wall and other material below it. Probably quite a bit of turbulence, vortex's, etc.

Thanks, atm its about 3meters high ontop of our chickenrun, there no walls below it, only netting and the trees behind it are a good distance away. I Found it extremely difficult finding a place to mount it cos were surrounded by dam trees, yeah it could of gone on the roof of our house, but im in a chair and my parents dont really like hights. Anyway I will see how it goes for a few days, and if Im not happy with the readings, I'll............ Well I dont know :-( Also the wind sensor might be tilting down slightly but Im not sure, will this effect the wind directions??

Offline phil2010

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 04:53:27 AM »
Also if my wind sensor was higher would the wind direction be more stable, cos at the moment its all over the place??

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 05:18:07 AM »
You have probably answered you own question. The reason the wind is pointing from varying directions is because of the turbulence caused by the trees surrounding your property. Trees and weather stations don't go well together. Falling leaves in the autumn will play havoc with you rain sensor, you will be clearing it on a daily basis.

Alan.
Alan

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 11:57:57 AM »
Falling leaves in the autumn will play havoc with you rain sensor, you will be clearing it on a daily basis.

Those catapillar-looking seed things on oak trees collect there, too, in the springtime.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 02:30:57 PM »
Falling leaves in the autumn will play havoc with you rain sensor, you will be clearing it on a daily basis.
Those catapillar-looking seed things on oak trees collect there, too, in the springtime.
   I can personally vouch for that!!! :evil: ](*,) #-o #-o ](*,) :evil:

Offline phil2010

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 03:12:06 PM »
   I can personally vouch for that!!! :evil: ](*,) #-o #-o ](*,) :evil:

I don't think it will be too bad because the rain gauge is quite a distance away from the trees, Ah but saying that we have a peach tree thats about 5meters away from it. Heres a far away pic of my rain gauge and wind sensor and will give you some idea of the hight of the wind/rain sensors and the objects thats in the way. Excuse the mess :lol:

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 01:47:22 AM »
Looking at the larger photograph, I think you will also have problems getting accurate rain data. The rain sensor needs to be in a more open aspect away from anything that will cause what is known as a "Rain Shadow", for example the box to the left of the rain sensor.

Alan.
Alan

Offline phil2010

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 06:57:17 AM »
Looking at the larger photograph, I think you will also have problems getting accurate rain data. The rain sensor needs to be in a more open aspect away from anything that will cause what is known as a "Rain Shadow", for example the box to the left of the rain sensor.

Alan.

The box by the rain gauge is only a temporary thing and will be moved in the next few days.. I've been looking around the outside of the house, for other places I could put the wind sensor and there's none, cos its always going to have something blocking it near by. The only thing is mounting it higher up, but then it will be much harder to change the batts, and prob wont never get changed. I need a chainsaw and cut a few trees down,, that would do it :-P
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 06:58:49 AM by phil2010 »

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 07:19:36 AM »
Have any long steel pipe laying around you could mount it to? A piece of chain link fence? You could stand it up around where it is now and secure the pipe to the structure the wind vane is on now. Time to change the batteries just unbolt it from there and lay it back down. Might not clear the trees but from where it appears now in the photo's it looks like it may help.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 07:22:08 AM by DanS »

Offline phil2010

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 08:10:12 AM »
Have any long steel pipe laying around you could mount it to? A piece of chain link fence? You could stand it up around where it is now and secure the pipe to the structure the wind vane is on now. Time to change the batteries just unbolt it from there and lay it back down. Might not clear the trees but from where it appears now in the photo's it looks like it may help.

I was thinking about that idea or another post bolted on, but the prob is now,, getting someone to do it for me, cos Im in a wheelchair. But I guess its not too bad where it is, the readings are just a bit hit and miss

anything