Author Topic: Another "which station" post...  (Read 3946 times)

Offline lothianjavert

Another "which station" post...
« on: February 05, 2010, 08:13:59 PM »
I'm just beginning this journey and I've spent the past couple of evenings browsing weather stations, and at this point, my head is reeling.

I am very much limited by price, so I'm looking primarily at what I can find for around 100.00 on ebay.  I'm fine with used, but most of those are still pricey and there are no guarantees if it doesn't work.  Oregon Scientific and LaCrosse are the closest to my price range, but I'm a bit confused on some of the features.

What I definitely need:

wind speed/direction
rain gauge
temp (outdoor, at least 2 sensors.  I would love to put an extra temp sensor in the greenhouse, though an indoor would never work for that-- electronics have amazingly short lifespans in there)
humidity
barometric pressure
Some way to interface easily (and automatically) with a pc and internet.  I'd love to be able to access the info while away, as well as upload to weather underground.

I would rather not have to deal with wires, but if it meant a much better system, I'd deal with wires.  Distance may be an issue, as will location, because there is no way the HOA would approve of a sensor array on our roof.  It would most likely be pole mounted in the back yard.

Cecil Co. Maryland

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
Re: Another "which station" post...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
  Hi, and welcome!!!  $100.00?  I think it will be very difficult to meet the requirements you listed and stay near $100.  On Ambient there are 2 LaCrosse stations for $109.95 and $119.95.  They are both wireless.  They are the
WS1516U-IT  and the WS 1611TWC-IT.  On e-bay there is a Zephyr PWS1000TD for $119. It has all the basic sensors but I do not know if you can add to it.  There is another thread on this station on the forum.  It looks like a good station for the cost! Good luck!!!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 08:51:47 PM by Downlinerz2 »

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 08:57:12 PM »
   I was further checking the Zephyr station on ebay and the one seller has several for $119.  They come with free version of Weather Display software.

Offline lothianjavert

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 09:05:59 PM »
I'm usually trying for the impossible.   I wish the budget would allow for something nicer, but I'm stuck with the 100.00 range.  It can go a bit above, but not too much, as there is shipping to consider and inevitably something else will be needed during setup.

There's a used Oregon Scientific WMR100 listed for 65.00 as well on ebay, but it's "as is" and who knows if it works or not.

I'll take a look at the Zephyr station, the price is in the ballpark.
Cecil Co. Maryland

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 09:23:35 PM »
I have a La Crosse WS-2315 and Oregon Scientific WMR-968.  I am very satisfied with both.  There are several schools of thought concerning weather stations.  Some will say start with a cheap one and see if it's what you want to do, then upgrade.  Others will say start with the expensive one and forget the lesser models.  I think the previously mentioned models will give you an idea of what it's like and you can learn about sensor placement, maintenance, uploading to the internet, etc.  You will also need software to send your data to WU or CWOP, etc.  WUHU or Cumulus are good.  Just make sure your station and software are compatible.

Good luck!

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 09:38:24 PM »
The "at least 2 outdoor temp sensors" requirement points you toward the OS line because in the allowed budget I don't believe LaCrosse has a system that allows adding sensors. I've been known to be wrong once or twice though. :roll: Good luck with your shopping.

Offline CookevilleWeatherGuy

• Contributor
  • Weather Isn't Climate
    • Cookeville Weather Guy
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 11:30:57 PM »
The "at least 2 outdoor temp sensors" requirement points you toward the OS line because in the allowed budget I don't believe LaCrosse has a system that allows adding sensors. I've been known to be wrong once or twice though. :roll: Good luck with your shopping.

I'm thinking Dan is right again...don't know of a LaCrosse that allows adding sensors...
Visit my WEATHER Page:
Cookeville Weather Guy

Davis Vantage Vue
VWS 14.01 p46
WU: KTNCOOKE10
SkyWarn Trained Storm Spotter
CoCoRaHS County Coordinator

Offline lothianjavert

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 12:02:10 AM »
I think he is correct that lacrosse doesn't allow for adding sensors.  It's probably better to forget the second anyway-- it would definitely make for some screwy looking readings.  One reading 20F 10% humidity... while the other is at 75F and 95% humidity....  :lol:  I just thought it would be nice to be able to log on and check on the greenhouse temps when I'm at work or away from the house.  I've killed countless thermostats and digital thermometers in that thing, so there's no way I'd put anything other than an outdoor type sensor in there.

I looked at the Zephyr and it looks pretty nice and seems to have the features I want.  The Oregon Scientific WMR100 looks nice, but the reviews make me hesitant (that and the one on ebay doesn't come with any guarantees-- otherwise I'd probably go for it).  Costco has the WMR80A for 89.99.  I'll keep looking, but at the moment the Zephyr is at the top of the list followed by OS.
Cecil Co. Maryland

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 02:19:32 AM »
1-Wire wx station from www.aagelectronica.com  will meet our requirements.  Lots of DIY fun, too.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 08:33:39 AM »
Did Strgazr27 ever sell his 968 with all the fixin's?
Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 09:05:09 AM »

There's a used Oregon Scientific WMR100 listed for 65.00 as well on ebay, but it's "as is" and who knows if it works or not.

I would stay well clear of a used WMR-100, it's not the best station new, I speak from experience. Ask yourself ....why is it being sold?

Sorry can't help with cost, I live in the UK.

Good luck with whatever you choose and don't be afraid to ask for advice.

Alan
Alan

Offline lothianjavert

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 11:34:43 AM »
Bushman, I saw that system (kit) and the price is awesome.  It doesn't look that hard to put together at all, though probably more of a spring project.  It's definitely something to consider.  Do you know anyone that has one?  How accurate and functional are they?
Cecil Co. Maryland

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 12:47:52 PM »
Bushman, I saw that system (kit) and the price is awesome.  It doesn't look that hard to put together at all, though probably more of a spring project.  It's definitely something to consider.  Do you know anyone that has one?  How accurate and functional are they?

I had one for a couple of years and then trade it to a guy for a laptop.  :)  It ran fine for him (the earlier ones leaked a bit but the new ones apparently have a better seal) for a couple of years until someone vandalized it at his summer cottage.  1-Wire is great.  Hobbyboards.com has lots of parts etc.  Pretty hard to beat a $100 wired unit IMHO.  BTW, lots of software for it too.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline lothianjavert

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 05:40:34 PM »
Well, it's here.  Picked up a Zephyr on ebay (NIB unwanted gift, hope it works),and w/ shipping it came in under budget.  Still in box w/ parts all wrapped up.  I don't think it's been put together even for a test run.  Now I have to figure out where to put it.  That will definitely have to wait until this snow is gone!  I'm debating the greenhouse roof... it's not quite tall enough, but it is the most unobstructed area other than dead-center in the middle of the house's roof, which the HOA would probably have a cow over, even though it's not big or obnoxious looking.
Cecil Co. Maryland

anything