Author Topic: Can't get FTP connection or email to work on VWS  (Read 4534 times)

Offline machineman

Can't get FTP connection or email to work on VWS
« on: January 25, 2010, 11:04:02 PM »
Anyone have any tips on getting "Virtual Weather Station" software to connect to the FTP server and send email?  I get operation timeouts everytime I try. 

Fault messages:
01/25/10,18:23:00,Operation timed out. Try again.,Send EMail to -------@gmail.com
01/25/10,18:24:00,Operation timed out. Try again.,Send EMail to -------@gmail.com
01/25/10,18:27:00,System socket error. Check Internet Connection,Login to www.google.com (Attempt 1)
01/25/10,18:27:00,System socket error. Check Internet Connection,Login to www.google.com (Attempt 2)
01/25/10,18:27:00,System socket error. Check Internet Connection,Login to www.google.com (Attempt 3)

Virtual Weather Station (internet) ver14
Davis Pro2 with USB datalogger (this part works fine)

Thanks,
Davis VP2 - WeatherLinkIP

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
Re: Can't get FTP connection or email to work on VWS
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 02:27:09 AM »
VWS does not support the Authenticated email that gmail uses
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 08:51:59 AM »
If VWS under Internet | FTP Login Setting. For server name you should probably only have google.com. You deffinately should not have the www in front of it. And as for e-mailing in VWS. GBW as that one covered.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 05:54:40 PM »
Rather than installing a 2nd program on your computer to handle authenticated email.  I wonder if anyone has talked to Ed about adding a program feature that will allow the use of authenticated email servers?
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline machineman

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 07:39:22 PM »
Rather than installing a 2nd program on your computer to handle authenticated email.  I wonder if anyone has talked to Ed about adding a program feature that will allow the use of authenticated email servers?

I got VWS partially for this email feature and it doesn't work.   Seems easy enough to just add username and password fields to the email in VWS.  My Yahoo account doesn't work either.
Davis VP2 - WeatherLinkIP

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 06:21:47 AM »
Again, thats because many email providers require authenticating email procedures to allow you to send out email. IE: such as different transmitting/receiving ports also.  VWS does not support this, so others have been using a type of server program that accepts a non-secure email transmission from VWS, and converts to an authenticated transmission that their email provider will accept.    My thoughts are, I think Ed could add this as a feature, and we could skip the 2nd program workaround. 
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 09:08:10 AM »
The only weather program I know of that had e-mail authenication is Weather Display. I have asked Ed about adding this to VWS and his responce was. It is on the want list. That was atleast a year ago.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline Tottemannen

• Ludvika Väderstation, Sweden
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 08:43:54 AM »
Hi!

Again, that's because many email providers require authenticating email procedures to allow you to send out email. IE: such as different transmitting/receiving ports also.  VWS does not support this, so others have been using a type of server program that accepts a non-secure email transmission from VWS, and converts to an authenticated transmission that their email provider will accept.

A question, can somebody tell me more exactly how it works.
Ludvika weather station, sweden
http://www.ludvikasegel.com/wx

Offline LarsWX

• Ewing Weather
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 11:34:15 AM »
Yeah a email fix sure would be nice, also the ftp is hit or miss, was nothing but trouble for me and I started using ASP to upload info online...

anything