Author Topic: Changing barometer and human behavior  (Read 17784 times)

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
Changing barometer and human behavior
« on: November 06, 2009, 11:03:01 PM »
This is my barometer reading for the last two days.

I am working on this theory that changes in barometer changes student behavior.

The last day and a half have been bad. ](*,)

The kids started getting restless and unfocused about 11:00 yesterday.  So I looked at the barometer (or as I call it- the student behavior meter :lol:) and sure enough it had started to drop.  By 1pm, it was dropping rapidly and my students were losing focus fast.  I walked into the hall and it was madness. Very loud, kids running and a buzz about the building.  Another teacher walked by and said "What is going on? My classes are crazy and the halls are nuts!!"  (barometer)

Today-the same thing.  My first period was very restless and unfocused. I would stop talking for 5 seconds and they were gone.  It was very surprising since I have the advanced classes-but they are still 8th graders at heart.  Second period not as bad after I read them the riot act. 

Halls were crazy.  Other teachers commented that their kids were very restless today.  ISS was FULL- so many kids were being booted from class.

My own kids were not saved.  They talk, but it was like listening to 2 chipmunks on the way home from school.  Kids are girls 10 and 6.
The ten year old seemed to have lost all common sense and practical thought.  The six year old was very jumpy and hyper. 

After dealing with this all day-I am stressed, grumpy and tired.  I try to handle it, but it takes a toll on me too.

The chart attached shows the dates, time and barometer change.  The circled section was yesterday-falling rapidly from 30.35 to 30.18
in 4.5 hours.  My station called it falling rapidly.
Since then there has been a constant free fall as the warm front moves in along with a weak low pressure.

Last year- I would take daily data on barometer changes, fronts, moon phases etc. and compare it to office referrals and general behavior in the classroom.  Unofficially, I came to the conclusion that changes in barometer makes the kids unfocused and restless. Almost to the point where I could tell the drop in barometer BEFORE I looked at the charts.

I have found a little about this on the net but I think I have groundbreaking information. I am thinking about sending out a daily bulletin with the barometer reading and what to expect and how to adapt.

Have any of you felt like this or observed this as the weather changes.  My knee hurts and I get headaches at times.  My ten year old gets headaches too.

There is also a book called "The Man who Predicts Earthquakes" Jim Berkland  and the author talks about people that get headaches before earthquakes. And animals that act differently or run away before quakes.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

ps-As of 10:00pm- the barometer is still dropping and the kids are in bed!!!!

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
Re: Changing barometer and human behavior
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 01:00:31 AM »
....Have any of you felt like this or observed this as the weather changes.  My knee hurts and I get headaches at times.  My ten year old gets headaches too. ...

It's certainly not just the kids.  Working with the public and being in a business where customer's are mad because something broke before they even come through the door, I've found that people of all ages seem afflicted mentally by the barometer and weather in general.  Mondays are always bad but last Monday was one of the worse days.  Barometer fell most of the day that day.  But sometimes it seems harder to pin it on a specific cause rather then a combination of things.  Customer attitudes will be on the decline now until the first of the year.  The end of summer and the start of school and college always seems to breed some discontent but nothing matches that of the holiday season.  We get more irate people to deal with between Thanksgiving and Christmas then any other time of year.  Ice and snow storms are another bad time.

There is no doubt in my mind we are all connected together and affected mentally in like manner by ways not fully understood or yet discovered. 

As an aside, right now we have individuals to whole families home sick with the flu (some claiming to have H1N1) calling us out for service calls while they are off work to save taking time off later.  They let us know that after we are inside their home.  Like we really need their germs and grumpiness while they are sick anymore then their employer.   :roll:
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 04:53:31 AM »
 Better not move to Alaska as we have some of the fastest and deepest barometer swings.... and they come one after the other all winter long. Then there the short days and that alone will make lot of people grumpy, what ever....

John
KL7IFP

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 07:49:53 AM »
This is my barometer reading for the last two days.

I am working on this theory that changes in barometer changes student behavior.

That is a very unique theory!  I have heard that moon phases affect people's behavior, but I've never considered the barometer.  I nominate you for the Nobel Prize.   =D>
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 08:24:52 AM »
 I nominate you for the Nobel Prize.   =D>

I think Chief-David should get the Nobel Prize for maintaining his sanity.  =D> Just reading from this thread my barometer (blood pressure) is rising.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 08:27:46 AM »
I think Chief-David should get the Nobel Prize for maintaining his sanity.  =D> Just reading from this thread my barometer (blood pressure) is rising.

That is a very good point!   :!:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 08:52:15 AM »
Good morning.

Thanks for the nomination

It is going to be a good day

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 08:58:15 AM »
A very good theory, perhaps you can get some stimulus money to further your research..

Here is a hint...
Don't make DanS angry, you would not like him when he is angry.

SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 12:38:07 PM »
Ask anyone who lives where there are chinooks.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 12:33:37 PM »
I have heard chinooks and Santa Anna winds make people feel uncomfortable too.

The pressure just started to drop here.  time will tell. 
Closely watching my kids.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 01:10:47 PM »
I experience a real headache during this episode last month of a barometer drop of .07" in 5 min. then back up .09" in 5 min.. That my friend is called a gravity wave. Here's is a link.
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KMIEASTJ1&year=2009&month=10&day=30

Tim

Offline Wx4U

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 07:50:55 PM »
As an old fisherman and hunter I recall sportsmen relied on barometer readings and lunar tables. Many of the popular hunting magazines publish the tables. Fishermen swear fish have lockjaw during periods of high pressure. My son is also a teacher and always felt it was the phases of the moon that affected the kids. Anyway it sounds like an interesting subject for research and dissertation.
Bob
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller, Davis VP2 Wireless, WLS 5.8.2, LaCrosse 2308, Logitech Pro 9000 (Roof mounted on rotor), CoCoRaSh gauge, KTXARLIN35, Compaq Presario W/Vista

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 10:48:46 AM »
Students are very restless today

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 04:50:49 PM by chief-david »

It's not you-It's WU.

blackjack52

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 11:20:21 AM »
Very interesting. I guess the first part would be to establish a control for which to make all comparisons to (below this press., above that press.)

Weather has broad physiologic implications on us. Because of my ruptured discs, I always know when low pressure fronts are ingressing and egressing. Very bad headaches.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 09:26:53 PM »
Today, my 3rd period 10:00 started acting very restless and loud.

4th period-after lunch 11:35 were very loud

as I expected

High, but still a drop
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 09:33:43 PM by chief-david »

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 10:45:36 PM »
Maybe we should start pressurizing school buildings like aircraft.  Starting in the morning the pressure would slowly rise during the day.  Kids would learn more and teachers nerves would be less frayed.   ;)  

Plus the kids might find going through the rotating air lock door kind of fun.  Hisss, shunk, then pop goes the ears.  :mrgreen:

(My dad many years ago worked as an accountant for a fitness club that had tennis courts covered by a pressurized dome during the winter.  The air pressure supported the weight of the canvas dome.  Always thought that was pretty neat!  Once in awhile though they would have someone open one of the emergency exit doors which was a standard door rather then a revolving one.  Virtually impossible for one person to push or pull them them back closed on their own as the air escaped.  Then the dome would start to deflate.   :lol:)
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 10:58:12 PM »
This is why I like this forum. 

People are smart and have strange but useful ideas.

It looks like the Metrodome will be vacant in a few years. Maybe it is a good place for a school.
Always a big rush when they open the regular doors after a game.  Small kids almost fly out of the place.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 07:27:41 AM »
definitely a full moon ...  you could look up full moon theory...

My students are squirrely most of the time, so pressure and phases of the moon have no effect on them.  I am beginning to believe they are not from this planet.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 07:46:32 AM »
Maybe we should start pressurizing school buildings like aircraft.  Starting in the morning the pressure would slowly rise during the day.  Kids would learn more and teachers nerves would be less frayed.   ;)  

Plus the kids might find going through the rotating air lock door kind of fun.  Hisss, shunk, then pop goes the ears.  :mrgreen:

(My dad many years ago worked as an accountant for a fitness club that had tennis courts covered by a pressurized dome during the winter.  The air pressure supported the weight of the canvas dome.  Always thought that was pretty neat!  Once in awhile though they would have someone open one of the emergency exit doors which was a standard door rather then a revolving one.  Virtually impossible for one person to push or pull them them back closed on their own as the air escaped.  Then the dome would start to deflate.   :lol:)

It's just the opposite where I work.  Giant fans suck the air out of the building, so that it is -1/8 to -1/4 in. H2O below outside pressure.  There's always a stiff breeze coming in the doorways.  I thought that might be one reason many of us seem lethargic.  More than likely, though, it's the rotating 12-hour shifts.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 07:53:02 AM »
This Low Pressure Area has been sitting over St. Lous for 3 days now.

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2009, 07:43:42 AM »
That Low Pressure over St. Louis is not in any hurry to move.

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2009, 07:52:42 AM »
Watch tha tigth gradient over Seattle move it  in a couple days as that buckle in jet stream move ashore

John

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2009, 11:23:41 PM »
Just when you think you have come up with something original.

2.   Falling Barometer--Failing Behavior. (EJ230170)
   Add this record to My Clipboard for printing, emailing, exporting, and saving. 

Author(s):

Scagliotta, Edward G.

Source:

Academic Therapy, v15 n5 p607-12 May 1980

Pub Date: 1980-05-00

Pub Type(s):
Journal Articles; Reports - Research

Abstract:
Observations of 127 boys with behavior problems (ages 9 to 13) were made to study the correlation between air pressure and adverse behavior in the Ss. Results showed that, with each change in barometric pressure, there was an obvious change in the Ss' behavior. (PHR)

I don't have Eric access anymore. I will be going to the library to find this document

I found a few on a google search that relates to this.  But there are not many.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 01:13:08 PM »
Had a student ask today about the barometer.

She said she felt goofy and her lunch table was very loud.

SHE IS BECOMING AWARE OF  SELF CONTROL-YES!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 04:51:51 PM by chief-david »

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 06:33:07 PM »
I've always been a fan of the full moon theory.

However, my Mom used to get migraine headaches that preceeded rain storms by as much as 12 hours or the local forecast.   I used to get them as well and it was that reason, I got my first weather station.  I wanted to see if there was a relationship between migraines and atmospheric pressure change.  Unfortunately for science, my headaches eventually went away before I could get much more data.

I do know that when the pressure moves up around 30.00 inHg, my ears start ringing... I have tinitus and the ears seem to ring when the pressure moves across that line..