Author Topic: Wiring RM Young - HD model 05108 to Davis universal anemometer interface  (Read 856 times)

Offline jconley2

Re: Wiring RM Young - HD model 05108 to Davis universal anemometer interface
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2019, 03:27:21 PM »
I can't believe I never noticed the props were different, but looking at the website, they clearly are. Do you have any thoughts on what the advantages of the different props are?

Standard prop is 18 cm DIA x 30 cm PITCH. HD prop is 18 cm DIA x 50 cm PITCH.

Good question; I had wondered the same and awaiting word from RMY.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2019, 11:29:47 PM »
jconly:
Look on eBay, they often have props also on sale there, and I don't recall any of them being that much, even with shipping.

Young is a good company and makes quality products, and I've bought some replacement parts from them, generally well priced.  Some Met One stuff has been eye blinkingly high, as well as some stuff from Campbell, but then other things Campbell has are reasonable.  I guess you can't second guess what it costs to make stuff.

Let us know.  Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline twcmaster

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2019, 12:47:48 AM »
I just got my setup working! I hooked up only the wind speed for now, but everything is looking good so far at low speeds. I am really looking to test higher speeds, but of course winds are forecast to be fairly light over the next couple days. The good news is the Young wind monitor and the Davis console attached wirelessly to the universal anemometer interface are very much in sync. I am now curious to see how the Davis console does with wind gusts now that they are coming from the same instrument.

It is really nice to see the young monitor, and the two Davis consoles (one hooked up to a 6410 on the same pole as the 05106 and the other hooked up to the universal anemometer interface) dance in unison. I will share further results here when we get some higher speeds.

Offline jconley2

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2019, 11:18:52 AM »
Dale -- Good idea, but no props are currently available (that I could find.) No worries though, I've one coming directly from RMY.

Twcmaster -- Great to hear! Saw that on your live video stream just now. Ordered a new prop yesterday, so my 05108 + Davis setup should report accurately very soon.
Btw, re: benefits of 05108 (HD) prop -- per RMY, "The HDs are built for extreme, constant, high wind conditions.  Since the different pitch allows the prop to spin at a slower RPM for a given speed it is less stressful to the prop and bearings." That makes total sense and is good engineering on their part. Where I am in Vermont I won't have constant wind, so even with the standard propeller the ceramic bearings should not wear out any time soon.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 11:23:52 AM by jconley2 »

Offline jconley2

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2019, 04:14:06 PM »
Good news! I swapped out the propeller earlier this week and immediately noticed improved wind speed measurements. Feels good to finally have accurate wind reports. BIG thank you to everyone who helped bring this to resolution! :grin: Couldn't have done it without you!

Offline twcmaster

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2019, 06:14:08 PM »
Great to hear!!