Author Topic: WS-80 Ultrasonic Wind sensor array  (Read 7395 times)

Offline mark014

• Weather conditions in Ślesin (Poland)
Re: WS-80 Ultrasonic Wind sensor array
« Reply #125 on: January 18, 2020, 02:18:51 PM »
I wanted to check the operation of WS80 anomometer with a heater at a snowstorm, but in Europe we have a warm winter and I haven't had any snowfall yet, so I don't know if I will check it this season. For now, the sensor works without any problem.

However still HP3501 console does not upload your readings coming from WS-80 on weather servers including ecowitt.net.

This is already not entirely true. The planned firmware will provide also uploading data  from WS80 sensor to weather servers by the HP3501 console, which can be seen here: https://www.ecowitt.net/home/index?id=3684
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 05:57:39 PM by mark014 »

Offline ZoRaC

« Reply #126 on: February 01, 2020, 11:15:31 AM »
Does anyone know the consequence of not using the heating plate in cold weather (like down to -25C)? Will it just cause inaccurate wind measurements?

Here it can be -10 one day and +15 the next, so connecting/disconnecting the heating plate power supply many times each winter will be a bit annoying...

Iím after wind and sun measurements in the summertime and temp/humid all year. If not using the heating plate simply causes inaccurate wind measurements in the wintertime, thatís not a problem for me. :)

Ecowitt is closed until feb 9th, so I figured Iíd ask here while waiting for them to be back from holiday...

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #127 on: February 01, 2020, 11:54:19 AM »
I might be wrong but my understanding is that the issue with temp is down to icing and that screwing up the speed of sound calculations that the sensors use to make the very tiny but accurate assessment of wind speed and direction.
If its perfectly dry and cold I believe that the calculations will continue to be correct, its only if you mix ice into the equation that it goes a bit wrong.

My WS80 has only been down to -5C this season but no ice and the calculations still seemed to match normal versus the Tri-wing sensor array I have.
Retired: Old Maplin N96Y/FO Weather station
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2550A + WH65 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt WH51 (x4) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor (pre-prod test)

Offline ZoRaC

« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2020, 10:22:59 AM »
Seems they cut the holiday short:
The consequences of not using the heating plate in cold weather just cause inaccurate wind measurements.
According to your requirement, you could not use the heating function in the winter.:)
Any other question, please let us know.

Best Regards,
Lucy

And it seems we both had the right conclusion, @Mandrake. :)

Offline Big Sky Weather

« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2020, 01:52:59 PM »

Offline mark014

WS-80 sensor video
« Reply #130 on: April 25, 2020, 09:32:25 AM »
5 months have passed using the ultrasonic anemometer and I created a video summarizing my impressions and measurements. To date, the sensor works without interruptions and in fact the data on wind speed and gusts are in my opinion more reliable than using a cup vane anemometer - in the first place, gusts have a higher value and wind sampling is much frequent than for the WS68 wind gauge:

Weather readings from the sensor are being uploaded on:
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ILESIN3

WS68 sensor, with wind speed cups, readings are here:
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IWIELKOP26
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 09:42:14 AM by mark014 »

Offline fkapp

• Contributor
« Reply #131 on: April 30, 2020, 04:52:11 PM »
Do you have to use the temperature sensor/shield with this?
Trying to see if can be installed lower profile without or if is required.

Because uses sound can this be installed lower than the 3 cup sensor and still be accurate?
If yes another plus and also makes it easier to get power to it in snowy location i am located at

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #132 on: April 30, 2020, 09:49:10 PM »
You can't move the built in temp/hum sensor because it is required as part of the wind calculation. But you can certainly add a optional WH32 to become the main outdoor temp/hum sensor, thereby leaving the built in WS80 tem/hum to only be used for wind calculations.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge (WeatherBridge)
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline mark014

« Reply #133 on: May 01, 2020, 03:07:19 AM »
Do you have to use the temperature sensor/shield with this?
Trying to see if can be installed lower profile without or if is required.

Yes, the built-in temperature sensor is required for proper wind calculation and this module is necessary, it cannot be disconnected and placed elsewhere.

Because uses sound can this be installed lower than the 3 cup sensor and still be accurate?
If yes another plus and also makes it easier to get power to it in snowy location i am located at

I don't have space on the roof to place two poles and the ultrasonic anemometer on top too, but even in this location it gives accurate wind readings and recorded gusts are higher than these ones from the cup anemometer attached above.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 04:19:34 AM by mark014 »

Offline Waimarie

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #134 on: May 11, 2020, 09:30:24 PM »
Just wondering... has anyone mounted a WS 80 on the same pole as a tri-arm?   I guess it would have to sit at least slightly lower to be in clear air. 

Also my pole is 45mm (1.77in) dia.  The tri-arm just fits it,  will the bracket fit that pole?  The web site pictures show it mounted on a pretty thin pole.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 01:29:49 AM by Waimarie »
Fine Offset WH3081 (Deceased)
Mi.Sol  WH2900C
Ecowitt GW 1000 915MHz
Ecowitt GW 1000 433MHz
Ecowitt WH31
Ecowitt WH51
Ecowitt WH57
WU: IFEATH6
WOW: 910486001

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #135 on: May 12, 2020, 03:17:17 AM »
So I have had a good look at my setup this morning.
I have my two on separate poles about 2 feet apart.

I guess that you could put both on the same pole, however there is a downside that might be detrimental.
The WS80 must also be aligned North like the WH65 (tri-Wing) so that would mean that the Tri-Wing rain gauge would be sitting directly above the WS80 almost exactly.
That would effect the solar panel and Lux sensor which if you are using the WS80 takes precedence over the Tri-Wing sensors and is needed of course for power.
There is a way around that I guess which is deliberately to rotate the WS80 on its offset pole away from the bottom of the rain gauge and then apply a wind direction offset in the Console/GW1000 to make up for the misalignment. That should work and would allow the Solar panel to be exposed again although there might still be some shadowing from the Tri-Wing above at some point, so not perfect.

As for the mount to your pole, I cannot say for sure as my WS80 was a pre-production model and I know the mount to the pole is not the same as production models but I would suspect that you should be OK. Take a look at the WS80 manual and see if the dimensions of the mounting pole are described there.
http://www.ecowitt.com/upfile/201912/WS80%20Manual.pdf

G1ZFO

Offline Waimarie

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #136 on: May 18, 2020, 01:28:49 AM »

I guess that you could put both on the same pole, however there is a downside that might be detrimental.
The WS80 must also be aligned North like the WH65 (tri-Wing) so that would mean that the Tri-Wing rain gauge would be sitting directly above the WS80 almost exactly.

Just reading this again.  Maybe not.  Because I'm in the southern hemisphere, I already flipped my station 180 degrees to get the solar panel out of the shadow of the rain gauge, so my wind vane/anemometer are actually at the northern end.  So If I were to mount the WS80 below the tri-arm it could be under the open "V" of those 2 arms.  Could work?   Otherwise it will have to go on the roof on the TV ariel mast, and that could screw the temperature reading.
Fine Offset WH3081 (Deceased)
Mi.Sol  WH2900C
Ecowitt GW 1000 915MHz
Ecowitt GW 1000 433MHz
Ecowitt WH31
Ecowitt WH51
Ecowitt WH57
WU: IFEATH6
WOW: 910486001

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #137 on: May 18, 2020, 02:59:30 AM »
In that case it could work, though only advice I would give is that the Ultrasonic sensor is so sensitive and takes so many readings it really does see swirl!
My own sensor is really too near a neighbours house and that impacts readings somewhat.
At some point I am going to have to find a better spot in my garden though as has often been observed here its a case of compromise and living with the conditions that your 'spot' provides!

In your case I think as long as you give a reasonable gap of a foot or two between the sensor arrays then the wind readings should be OK.
It will also give a reasonable separation of the electronics as two transmitters on top of each other is not too good either. (The ultra sonic one is much stronger)
G1ZFO

anything