Author Topic: Peet Brothers Ultimeter 2100  (Read 680 times)

Offline WX9TRS

Peet Brothers Ultimeter 2100
« on: April 23, 2019, 04:15:34 PM »
Sensor refresh done.  Good for another 10 years.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 04:25:38 PM by WX9TRS »

Offline stormtracker

• Contributor
Re: Peet Brothers Ultimeter 2100
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 11:17:50 AM »
How has your experience been with Peet Brothers instruments?   Is that their PRO rain gauge?   I was considering them a decade ago but seem to remember reading about some glitches in that rain gauge.

Offline WX9TRS

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 11:58:24 AM »
I've replaced it once, (main box, lightning strick) about 2 years ago and I just replaced everything except the main box. Thought it was time to refresh things this Spring.
So the original lasted 6 years. 
Had to replace the board once as some bugs ate up some of the connections.
Other than that all has been well.
Rain gauge needs to be heated for winter/snow.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 03:22:30 PM by WX9TRS »

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 12:18:26 PM »
I have a 2100 from just after they came out.  Got it at Dayton Hamvention when Peet Bro still had a booth there at the old Hara Arena.  So long ago i can't recall when I got it, pushing 15 years I'll bet.

I have had zero problems with their pro rain gauge (I think it is identical to the RainWise big one) and decided to go with the bigger one over the little egg shaped standard one.

Amazingly even the humidity and temp sensors are comparing closely to the other sensors I have in the same general area.

My only problem was with a lightning strike close to my house taking out lots of stuff, including the box and display.  I found a 2100 on eBay that no one bought quickly and made an offer, got it and plugged in the new box and left the rest alone.  Works like a champ.

I have a big display that I got for much less than their list price on eBay, also, and love it.  You sure can see it across the room.

Being a hard wired unit, there is more than just slapping a instrument cluster up on the post outside and mounting the box and display inside.  but it updates wind speed quickly and as I said, just keeps chugging along.

I understand that a year or so the company changed hands.  I hope they will stay in business, understanding their basic design is older but does work well.  And their technical support/sales have been terrific.  When I had the issue with the lightning, the person on the phone was very gracious, answered questions, and won my loyalty by being so helpful. 

Like anything else, times change.  But things that don't change are temperature, humidity, wind values and rain.  If you measure them with quality well designed components, it is the same no matter what.

The little box does have a backlight which you can leave on, and the visibility of the display seems superior to the Davis Vantage console to my eyes.

The nice thing, too, is that the Peet Console does have an output that my weather software, Weather Display, reads and is able to display and post to my web page, and hasn't been touched in maybe 5 or 7 years.

Like all stuff in the sun and weather, the plastic and cables do get nailed by radiation and over time may craze or crack, at least not seem as shiny as when I put them up. But they use UV resistant black cable and so far no failures or even appearance of having to be replaced.

The only thing I wish I had the ability to (easily) add would be solar values. I don't need UV for my personal needs, but with Davis and others there are a host of add on items from solar to leaf wetness and soil temps.  I'm fascinated by the solar and inferrred clouds with my other stations that have this feature, but back when these basic stations were designed, that wasn't so much of a need, I guess.

I'd like to hear what you finally end up with as your station.  If you are worried about the rain sensor, just get a Rainwise or similar bucket off eBay and wire a plug to it and set the console to accept 0.01" tips for input.  By the way, I have an old original Rainwise green tipping bucket that came with my ID-5001 Heathkit which has to be 20+ years old and is still working.  I did have to replace a reed switch (too bad the mercury wetted ones aren't easily available any more). 

Good luck.  Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 12:25:47 PM »
Tim,
Nice pictures of your station.  I have more yard work to do before I'd even try to take photos like your's!

the rain sensor looks like the smaller one that they sold, at least when I could see what they had to offer other than in a catalog.  Not many places to see hands-on and look them over.

If I recall one of my friends bought that same station as you have, and his rain sensor had a little siphon emptying setup rather than tipping bucket.  It seemed the mud dabbers and spiders loved to plug it up.  Do you have that siphon unit?  Did they make a better shield to keep the critters from setting up housekeeping in there?  I always wanted to get something like that as another way to measure rain, along with all the other ones I have scattered around. 

Just curious if it has worked well for you.  Andy had a real access problem with a small lot and lots of trees so he couldn't have as nice a set up as you have for checking it out and cleaning when the pollen and maple seeds and oak tree stuff would clog it.

Dale
K9ELD
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline WX9TRS

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 03:14:06 PM »
I do have to clean items out of it from time to time but other than that it has worked well.
No more issues with electronics eating bugs.
It and the anemometer/antennas are connected to lightening suppressors and grounding rods.
It has been struck by lightning once. Knocked out the Ultimeter box and one antenna.
Fixed and back up in a week.

Peets seems as good as ever since the sale. 

Just added a webcam and website this week.  Still tweaking streaming. 

« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 03:24:31 PM by WX9TRS »

Offline WX9TRS

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 05:33:41 PM »
Weather station live and weather cam. 
www.eyesonthesky.net

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 08:00:31 PM »
Nicely done.
What did you choose for webcams?
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 08:25:39 PM »
Very nice and clean! Well done!

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline WX9TRS

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2019, 09:06:18 PM »
Nicely done.
What did you choose for webcams?

Thanks!
AmCrest HD Pro cameras.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2019, 12:01:43 AM »
I have a 2100 from just after they came out.  Got it at Dayton Hamvention when Peet Bro still had a booth there at the old Hara Arena.  So long ago i can't recall when I got it, pushing 15 years I'll bet.

I have had zero problems with their pro rain gauge (I think it is identical to the RainWise big one) and decided to go with the bigger one over the little egg shaped standard one.

Amazingly even the humidity and temp sensors are comparing closely to the other sensors I have in the same general area.

My only problem was with a lightning strike close to my house taking out lots of stuff, including the box and display.  I found a 2100 on eBay that no one bought quickly and made an offer, got it and plugged in the new box and left the rest alone.  Works like a champ.

I have a big display that I got for much less than their list price on eBay, also, and love it.  You sure can see it across the room.

Being a hard wired unit, there is more than just slapping a instrument cluster up on the post outside and mounting the box and display inside.  but it updates wind speed quickly and as I said, just keeps chugging along.

I understand that a year or so the company changed hands.  I hope they will stay in business, understanding their basic design is older but does work well.  And their technical support/sales have been terrific.  When I had the issue with the lightning, the person on the phone was very gracious, answered questions, and won my loyalty by being so helpful. 

Like anything else, times change.  But things that don't change are temperature, humidity, wind values and rain.  If you measure them with quality well designed components, it is the same no matter what.

The little box does have a backlight which you can leave on, and the visibility of the display seems superior to the Davis Vantage console to my eyes.

The nice thing, too, is that the Peet Console does have an output that my weather software, Weather Display, reads and is able to display and post to my web page, and hasn't been touched in maybe 5 or 7 years.

Like all stuff in the sun and weather, the plastic and cables do get nailed by radiation and over time may craze or crack, at least not seem as shiny as when I put them up. But they use UV resistant black cable and so far no failures or even appearance of having to be replaced.

The only thing I wish I had the ability to (easily) add would be solar values. I don't need UV for my personal needs, but with Davis and others there are a host of add on items from solar to leaf wetness and soil temps.  I'm fascinated by the solar and inferrred clouds with my other stations that have this feature, but back when these basic stations were designed, that wasn't so much of a need, I guess.

I'd like to hear what you finally end up with as your station.  If you are worried about the rain sensor, just get a Rainwise or similar bucket off eBay and wire a plug to it and set the console to accept 0.01" tips for input.  By the way, I have an old original Rainwise green tipping bucket that came with my ID-5001 Heathkit which has to be 20+ years old and is still working.  I did have to replace a reed switch (too bad the mercury wetted ones aren't easily available any more). 

Good luck.  Dale

Nice write-up Dale!!

Say, could you post some photos of the indoor large display you were talking about? Have you ever done any video of it in operation during breezy weather? Just a thought.

Take care!

Don in Ohio.