Author Topic: New API Keys for Wunderground PWS data submitters are available  (Read 19235 times)

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: New API Keys for Wunderground PWS data submitters are available
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2019, 12:11:46 PM »
I don't think the key is allowed to be used by anyone but the owner of the PWS station submitting data to weatherunderground.com.

All others would have to purchase a key directly from TWC/Weather.com for their use.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
    • Winter Park Highlands Web cams
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2019, 12:18:42 PM »
AFAIK, the new key is not used for submitting any data to weatherunderground.com .. it's only used for queries to retrieve data about your PWS or weather forecasts.

Did IPTimelapse use the query to get PWS data and write it on the image or for some other purpose?  If it was doing a query for PWS data, the both the target URL has changed with the new API, and the structure of the returned JSON has changed.. then it would likely need a program update to IPTimelapse to work in the future.

Yes, it did a query to get PWS data to overlay on images.  See attached.  Still using old key.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 12:26:12 PM by zackdog »
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." - Dylan

Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24 hr FARS and (2) VantageVues

VP2 uploading via Vue console to CWOP, WU, PWS, and Weathercloud.

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2019, 01:24:52 PM »
AFAIK, the new key is not used for submitting any data to weatherunderground.com .. it's only used for queries to retrieve data about your PWS or weather forecasts.

Did IPTimelapse use the query to get PWS data and write it on the image or for some other purpose?  If it was doing a query for PWS data, the both the target URL has changed with the new API, and the structure of the returned JSON has changed.. then it would likely need a program update to IPTimelapse to work in the future.
Yes, I use IPTimelapse and the WU API key is needed to retrieve data for the overlay if required so presumably it will need an update.

Actually, you don't need to access WU at all to put your weather data on your IPTimeLapse image. http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36260. Have your Wx software create a text file with appropriate verbiage and weather conditions, then tell IPTL to place the text file on your image. The conditions are updated each time your Wx software updates the text file which can be a lot more often than you would get your own data back from WU. I've been doing this method for a few years now. You can see the results on my site here: https://www.tylertexasweather.com/timelapse.htm

Steve

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2019, 02:43:04 PM »
Steve, can you share the format of your text file with us?
Thanks

CW3699

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2019, 06:01:36 PM »
Paul,

I've attached 3 files. The image file, iptlwx.jpg, is a screenshot of the IPTL tab where you define the text file and the characteristics of the text. I've highlighted the portion of the dialog box you'll be interested in. Iptl.htx.txt (which is actually called iptl.htx) is the "pre-processed" version of the text file. I use Cumulus, so the tags you see are processed by Cumulus. You can replace these tags with those from WD or VWS, depending on what Wx software you might be using. The last file, iptl.txt, is the "processed" version of the text file after Cumulus gets done with it, so you'll see actual values in it. I have this file set up for realtime processing in Cumulus so every time IPTL takes a snapshot (using 5 second intervals), the data displayed is live and current. I think it's a much better way to put data on the image than using WU or any of the weather options where data has to be download because the data is "live" and you don't have wait for data download to occur.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Steve

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2019, 06:15:46 PM »
I see the IPTimelapse setting, but I don't have any idea how to get Cumulus to create the files you have listed.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Mark

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2019, 06:19:38 PM »
I don't think the key is allowed to be used by anyone but the owner of the PWS station submitting data to weatherunderground.com.

All others would have to purchase a key directly from TWC/Weather.com for their use.

Bummer, wanted to start a bidding war.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2019, 06:53:24 PM »
Paul,

I've attached 3 files. The image file, iptlwx.jpg, is a screenshot of the IPTL tab where you define the text file and the characteristics of the text. I've highlighted the portion of the dialog box you'll be interested in. Iptl.htx.txt (which is actually called iptl.htx) is the "pre-processed" version of the text file. I use Cumulus, so the tags you see are processed by Cumulus. You can replace these tags with those from WD or VWS, depending on what Wx software you might be using. The last file, iptl.txt, is the "processed" version of the text file after Cumulus gets done with it, so you'll see actual values in it. I have this file set up for realtime processing in Cumulus so every time IPTL takes a snapshot (using 5 second intervals), the data displayed is live and current. I think it's a much better way to put data on the image than using WU or any of the weather options where data has to be download because the data is "live" and you don't have wait for data download to occur.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Steve

Steve, thank you very much I will dig into it.  I appreciate the assistance.

CW3699

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2019, 07:04:57 PM »
I see the IPTimelapse setting, but I don't have any idea how to get Cumulus to create the files you have listed.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Mark

Mark,

Here's a screenshot from my Cumulus settings showing the generate of the iptl.txt file.

Steve

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2019, 08:48:09 AM »
Thank you Steve.  I had some problems, but it seems to be working fine now.  I just put the two files in the Cumulus folder.  When I did the browse to set up the creation of the file, it always came up as iptl.htx.txt.  When I explore the Cumulus folder, I now see 3 iptl files: (iptl), (iptl.htx), and (iptl.htx.txttmp).  Anyway it has worked all night this way.  Thanks again for your help.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Guess I can tell Mike I don't need him to mess with the WU key problem any more.

Mark

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2019, 09:12:55 AM »
Thank you Steve.  I had some problems, but it seems to be working fine now.  I just put the two files in the Cumulus folder.  When I did the browse to set up the creation of the file, it always came up as iptl.htx.txt.  When I explore the Cumulus folder, I now see 3 iptl files: (iptl), (iptl.htx), and (iptl.htx.txttmp).  Anyway it has worked all night this way.  Thanks again for your help.

Guess I can tell Mike I don't need him to mess with the WU key problem any more.

Mark

Mark,

Glad you got it working.

One thing I should have been a little clearer about - I meant for you to rename iptl.htx.txt to iptl.htx after you downloaded it. This forum doesn't allow the filetype of .htx to be uploaded so I added the .txt suffix to this file so I could attach it. After renaming you would put iptl.htx as the file for Cumulus to process and iptl.txt as the output file which IPTL then uses to display current conditions.

Steve

Offline BCJKiwi

• Forecaster
    • Silver Acorn Weather - N.Z.
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2019, 03:35:56 PM »
5 days or 6 Days?
Had to request a key from Victoria and received a temporary key as no browser would work for me.

So now testing WC-forecast.php
The heading says - WeatherUnderground 6-day Forecast:
The downloaded file in the cache has six days of data.
The page has 5 days of data

What should I be seeing?
https://www.silveracorn.nz/weather/WC-forecast.php

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 04:52:59 PM by BCJKiwi »

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2019, 03:54:13 PM »
5 days or 6 Days?
Had to request a key from Victoria and received a temporary key as no browser would work for me.

So now testing WC-forecast.php
The heading says - WeatherUnderground 6-day Forecast:
The downloaded file in the cache has six days of data.
The page has 5 days of data

What should I be seeing?

Thanks
You should see icons for 5-days, and text forecasts for 6-days during the daytime (local).  In the afternoon (local) the 'Today' icon will drop off (and the 'Today' text forecast) to leave the 'Tonight' one.

I know they say it's a 5-day forecast, but I think they mean 5-days out from today (making 6-days total).  Odd.. but that's the way the current TWC/WU API works.
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline BCJKiwi

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2019, 05:06:52 PM »
Thanks Ken,

I do see 6 days of Forecast text, and did see the first day Icon disappear off late in the day yesterday.
Just not sure why there are not 6 sets of icons when there are 6 sets of forecasts and there appear to be 12 icon codes in the downloaded file.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 05:23:13 PM by BCJKiwi »

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2019, 07:19:42 PM »
Thanks Ken,

I do see 6 days of Forecast text, and did see the first day Icon disappear off late in the day yesterday.
Just not sure why there are not 6 sets of icons when there are 6 sets of forecasts and there appear to be 12 icon codes in the downloaded file.
It was deliberately limited to show only 10 icons max, not 12 so as to fit in a narrow aspect Saratoga template (and match pretty-much what WU-forecast had done with the old WU-API).

Offline BCJKiwi

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2019, 08:28:11 PM »
Hmmm, I see.

But I have seleceted the option (my long term preference) to have two rows of icons, day on top row and night below so have only only 5 icons per row which are well spread out where I used to have 7 icons per row.

https://www.silveracorn.nz/weather/WC-forecast.php
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 08:30:17 PM by BCJKiwi »

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2019, 09:03:17 PM »
Ok, you can add the last two icons by changing WC-forecast.php
Code: [Select]
'NO' => array( array(-1,1,3,5,7), array(0,2,4,6,8) ), // Night first icon, Day over Night
'DO' => array( array(0,2,4,6,8),  array(1,3,5,7,9) )  // Day First icon, Day over Night
to
Code: [Select]
'NO' => array( array(-1,1,3,5,7,9), array(0,2,4,6,8,10) ), // Night first icon, Day over Night
'DO' => array( array(0,2,4,6,8,10),  array(1,3,5,7,9,11) )  // Day First icon, Day over Night
and the last day available will show icons in Day-over-Night display mode.

Offline BCJKiwi

• Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2019, 11:32:55 PM »
Great, That works well

Thanks Ken

agallardo1980

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2019, 02:35:23 PM »
Hi,

I have tested WC-forecast.php in Saratoga template and It's all right. Is it possible add a tabbed display of daily and hourly WU forecasts similar to DarkSky ? I don't know if WU API has this hourly feature...

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2019, 02:40:49 PM »
Alas, the hourly information is not available with the 5-Day forecast JSON return, so no, I can't add a tabbed display of hourly data to the WC-forecast.php.  Sorry.

agallardo1980

« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2019, 02:45:51 PM »
Thanks Ken.

I hope that any WU administrator is reading this may consider implement this feature in JSON return of this API.

Regards!

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2019, 05:46:13 PM »
I hope that any WU administrator is reading this may consider implement this feature in JSON return of this API.
They've already gone on record as saying this is it...no further changes will be made...and took away promised features in the process.   What they are tossing PWS owners as a very sun-bleached bone is a subset of the API they sell access to starting at $200/mo.  This PWS API is more of an annoyance than anything to IBM, a lame attempt at keeping PWS owners sending them data.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2019, 09:25:13 PM »
How would I know if I have the new API key?

TIA!

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2019, 09:29:37 PM »
How would I know if I have the new API key?

TIA!
If you didn't get it from the new portal over the last couple weeks you don't have it.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2019, 10:27:17 PM »
Were is the new portal?
:(

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb