Author Topic: CWOP: To join or not? Issues I will face?  (Read 4577 times)

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
Re: CWOP: To join or not? Issues I will face?
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2019, 11:29:07 AM »
Concerned that I am only getting one "thumbs up" on pressure though.

Also noticed dewpoint and wondered if I should be concerned about this as well: [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2019, 11:35:58 AM »
Concerned that I am only getting one "thumbs up" on pressure though.

Well, It just updated and getting worse. Now Red X, thumbs down and down to 37% QC. Update Update Update!  :-)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 11:41:46 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2019, 11:44:31 AM »
Also noticed dewpoint and wondered if I should be concerned about this as well

Aww Man! You just opened another can of worms! <ahem> <whispers> Davis SHT31 BS </whispers>  #-o  But lets fix Barometer before we deal with Dew Point.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 11:49:56 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2019, 12:08:08 PM »
galfert, I have recalibrated. Was 30.80 and set now to HLC 30.55

Should this do it? How long before I see two thumbs on CWOP? (Will they be sending a Hit Man out here?)

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2019, 01:20:02 PM »
Believe it or not, but that CWOP QC Analysis can/will change when some other idjot station sends BAD barometer readings...so, it should be taken with a LOT of grains of salt!

Thanks. I can understand that. At the same time, I have been struggling with barometer reading that I knew was too high. Procrastinated too much. Just went ahead and set it to nearest NWS site at HLC (60miles west) when it got so bad today.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2019, 01:54:10 PM »
DRoberts,
I think I've managed to confuse you. Your barometer was not high before. You were probably spot on. I think the part that confused you is when I said your CWOP barometer was too high. That just means that the Altimeter pressure was too high....but this was a fault of the WiFi Logger not your calibration on your console. Now that the WiFi Logger has a new firmware you need to upgrade the firmware to this new version.

Using this menu item in the WiFi Logger:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34312.msg370329#msg370329

After you do that your Altimeter pressure would have been automatically corrected. Only CWOP needs Altimeter pressure and it wasn't being provided.

I mentioned that you later calibrate to KHLC but you need to calibrate the console with the Sea Level Pressure numbers not the first number you see which is Altimeter.

Also you'll notice that Sea Level Pressure is report in mb and not inHg. Only Altimeter gets reported by the METAR in inHg. So there are two thing you can do to use the METAR Sea Level Pressure.
1- You can temporarily change your console to display the barometer in hPa (hectopascals) which is the same as mb (millibar) that you see in the METAR. I like this method because dealing with hPa for calibration is more precise. Later after you are calibrated if you prefer to see inHg you just switch the console to show you inHg.

2- You can convert what you see in the METAR for Sea Level Pressure to inHg using a number of websites...this one is just as good as any other:
https://www.convertunits.com/from/hpa/to/inhg
This site converts either way back and forth.
Then you can know what inHg to enter into your console for calibration. But this method is less precise.

* It isn't the hPa is more precise it is that when you use hPa consoles tend to use one decimal place for hPa and they use 2 decimal places for inHg and because of the conversion hPa is more precise with just one decimal place. If inHg was used with 3 decimal places well then it would be more precise than hPa that is expressed with 1 decimal place. Forget this technicality. You don't need to know this. This is just here for those that want to know more.  Put another way 0.1 hPa = 0.003 inHg. So if you enact a change of 0.01 inHg then you've actually changed hPa by 0.3. So it is more precise to use hPa.
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2019, 02:16:52 PM »
To clarify....When you calibrate your console to Sea Level Pressure then your console has the correct Station Pressure also (you can't see that put it is in there). Then the WiFi Logger will get the correct Station Pressure (also called Absolute Pressure) from the console and then use that to calculate Altimeter for CWOP. You continue to see Sea Level Pressure on your console. Everywhere will have Sea Level Pressure except CWOP will have Altimeter.

By you attempting to manually calibrate CWOP to Altimeter you've messed up Weather Underground that asks for Sea Level Pressure.

Now there are people that want to see Altimeter everywhere. To do that there is a separate process. You need to zero out your elevation and then calibrate the console to Altimeter. Then everywhere will get pseudo hacked Altimeter. I don't recommend this but it is here for completeness because if I don't saying it someone else will come in here and try and correct me that there is another way to do things. You choose your path. I'm not preaching one way or the other.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 02:23:36 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2019, 02:33:23 PM »

galfert

Appreciate your response. Let me make sure I have this right. (Keep in mind that I have NOT updated firmware and will not until this mess I have made of pressure is corrected)

1. I go to HLC link https://aviationweather.gov/metar/data?ids=KHLC&format=decoded&date=&hours=1 and enter the mb pressure, not inches, on my  console.

Is this all I need to do?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2019, 02:39:23 PM »

galfert

Appreciate your response. Let me make sure I have this right. (Keep in mind that I have NOT updated firmware and will not until this mess I have made of pressure is corrected)

1. I go to HLC link https://aviationweather.gov/metar/data?ids=KHLC&format=decoded&date=&hours=1 and enter the mb pressure, not inches, on my  console.

Is this all I need to do?

Yes enter in the mb pressure into your console but it needs to be the mb in the METAR data to the right that is labeled Sea Level Pressure....not the other mb that is actually Altimeter. But to enter in mb in your console you need make sure it is receiving your input as hectopascals (hPa) not in inHg.
Tele-Pole

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2019, 03:00:58 PM »
I entered 1035.5 hPaf

This should get me back to an accurate pressure reading for everyone concerned?

Will it take time for CWOP to show I am two thumbs up?

Any ideas why Dew Point is outside the box?  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

(If I could offer you a cup of hot cocoa, I would) :-)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2019, 03:09:12 PM »
I entered 1035.5 hPaf

This should get me back to an accurate pressure reading for everyone concerned?
Yes, but only if you've updated the firmware on the WiFi Logger.

Will it take time for CWOP to show I am two thumbs up?

Probably a day or two.

Any ideas why Dew Point is outside the box? [attachment id=1 msg=370363]
Dew Point is something we'll need to track and give it a few days. It is related to your humidity sensor. The good news is that we will have good analysis data from MADIS to determine if you humidity sensor is okay or not.

(If I could offer you a cup of hot cocoa, I would) :-)
I'm in Florida so sweet tea sounds better.  82F here. :grin:
Tele-Pole

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2019, 03:20:31 PM »
This is just here for those that want to know more.  Put another way 0.1 hPa = 0.003 inHg. So if you enact a change of 0.01 inHg then you've actually changed hPa by 0.3. So it is more precise to use hPa.
FYI, WL will allow barometer precision in inches down to a foot, which is three decimal places.

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2019, 04:00:36 PM »
To all who have responded on this thread

Appreciate all the information and good reading. I have a better understanding of CWOP and my VP2 as a result of your contributions.

Thanks again.

DRoberts

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2019, 04:13:45 PM »
if I don't saying it someone else will come in here and try and correct me that there is another way to do things.
Because many times there are, smart-ass. Your sarcasm is getting old, just like you preaching to bow to the CQ gods. Feel free to chase that down the rabbit hole. :roll:

Damned if I do and damned if I don't.  :roll:  I think you meant QC gods...and no I don't bow to them...I just use every bit of information to make an assessment and QC is just one bit of information. I'm not sure what smart-ass or sarcasm you are referring to. If you have a problem with me then report it to the moderators. This is not the proper method to deal with whatever inadequacies you feel may have occurred.
Tele-Pole

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2019, 04:33:32 PM »
if I don't saying it someone else will come in here and try and correct me that there is another way to do things.
Because many times there are, smart-ass. Your sarcasm is getting old, just like you preaching to bow to the CQ gods. Feel free to chase that down the rabbit hole. :roll:

I think you meant QC gods..

This is not the proper method to deal with whatever inadequacies you feel may have occurred.
:lol: I left it CQ just to see if you'd correct me, knowing exactly what I meant.

Thank you for straightening me out.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2019, 05:31:12 PM »
I've looked at your humidity sensor and I think it is showing signs of needing to be replaced. On days with high 100% humidity you max out at around 86% - 87% RH. It totally flat lines at this max point. I also see signs of wet bias in the mid range. I've seen this behavior before. Acting like the typical SHT31 issue many complain about with Davis stations. This is probably the cause of your Dew Point error. You may want to take a look at this thread for more information on this issue:

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34658.0

Also you may consider getting a Psychrometer for better confirmation.

Time to call in the warranty replacement before your 1st year is up.

This is the part you need: 7346.070
https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/davis-7346-070-pro2-digital-temperature-humidity-sensor-sensiron-sht31/
https://www.scientificsales.com/7346-070-Replacement-Temp-Hum-board-for-Davis-VP2-p/7346.070.htm

« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 05:41:13 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

anything