Author Topic: WS-2902a in the winter  (Read 509 times)

Offline madkiwi

WS-2902a in the winter
« on: November 16, 2018, 02:09:08 PM »
We have not had any significant snowfall since I got my WS-2902a set up, but wondering what might happen. It is not unheard of in Montana to get 4-8" of snow in a few hours, and looking at the Osprey sensor array I am not confident it is up to the challenge.

My old La Crosse WS-2813 had the anemometer underneath the body of the sensor and therefor keep spinning no matter how much snow fell. The wind vane could get "trapped" by snow piling up on the body of the unit, which happened more often than you'd think.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Looking at the arrangement of the Osprey unit, I can see that snow on the array is going to be far more problematic- stopping the anemometer as well as the wind vane from moving.

For those of you in climates where this is a concern- How do you deal with this?

Thanks!
WS-2902A WU:KMTFLRE23
WS-2813 WU:KMTMISS015

Offline galfert

• Forecaster
Re: WS-2902a in the winter
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 02:36:58 PM »
One of the improvements with the newest Ambient (Fine Offset clone) is that they decided to make the anemometer and wind vane and rain gauge black. This way it radiates more heat and should do better than the older generation. It could still be a problem as you stated though but the black should help prevent and melt snow and ice.

Old Fine Offset clone (not good in snow/ice - it is all white and doesn't help melt snow/ice):

New Fine Offset clone (notice black areas to work better in snow/ice):

Below is a typical picture used on sites that sell these Fine Offset clones. But it is an old picture. I don't think this was ever sold with the white rain gauge on top and black below (it probably hurt temperature radiation shield below too). I think this is just old stock photo that sellers never got around to using new stock photos unfortunately. If someone has this please take a picture and show us, as I don't think it really exists. The final design that shipped (previous picture) was a good move.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 02:40:18 PM by galfert »
WS-2902A | ObserverIP | WeatherBridge (Meteobridge)
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Tele-Pole flag pole is here (not installed yet)

Offline galfert

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 02:45:13 PM »
Now if you really think having the anemometer underneath the wind vane is necessary to better deal with snow/ice then you should take a look at the Ecowitt HP3500B.  It too is a Fine Offset clone with all the same features (yep UV and Solar too).

Notice the skinny connecting arm to the anemometer and wind vane. It also is tapered down.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 02:46:47 PM by galfert »
WS-2902A | ObserverIP | WeatherBridge (Meteobridge)
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Tele-Pole flag pole is here (not installed yet)

Offline SupaWX

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 10:02:59 AM »
Yeah, snow easily piles up on the Osprey, even a couple of inches will hold the anemometer and wind vane in place. If itís in an exposed location I guess high winds would help keep the snow build up to a minimum, but every snowfall isnít accompanied by decent winds. I have to continuously clear the snow if Iím home. The black instruments help with snow melt, but does nothing during actual storms.

Edit: I see youíre in Montana, which is colder and drier than here, I assume your snow is the light and powdery variety vs the wet and heavy variety we get here, that may make a big difference.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 10:20:34 AM by SupaWX »
Ambient Weather WS-2902A / Wunderground / Weathercloud / Ambient Weather / PWS Weather

Offline Buford T. Justice

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 05:22:40 PM »
About a week ago, I took the black rain funnel off of my WS-2902A.  I put a couple of large, clear sandwich bags over the hole where the funnel was and secured them with rubber bands.  I use my regular 4" rain gauge to measure rain, snow, ice, slush, etc. during winter.  I'll probably put the rain gauge funnel back on around mid March.

After doing that, we had a real good snow.  It piled up on to of the osprey sensors so the wide vane and anemometer couldn't turn.  A couple of days in the sun freed them up eventually.

Offline Sir_MAK

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 06:46:31 AM »
I did not experience any issues with the Osprey last year with snow (Ohio).

We had freezing rain on Friday and it stopped reading rain and then several hours later wind direction (direction did not change).  Another hour and lost wind speed (0 MPH).  The wind speed and direction came back about 8 hours later  Rain fall reading did not come back until the next morning. 
Ambient WS-2000, Central Ohio - WU WC
Ambient
WS-2902, Lake Erie   -    WU WC

Offline Buford T. Justice

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 11:05:24 PM »
I did not experience any issues with the Osprey last year with snow (Ohio).

We had freezing rain on Friday and it stopped reading rain and then several hours later wind direction (direction did not change).  Another hour and lost wind speed (0 MPH).  The wind speed and direction came back about 8 hours later  Rain fall reading did not come back until the next morning.
Other than reporting precipitation on the wrong days and amounts.

Offline kbellis

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 11:43:04 PM »

Offline jzinckgra

• Raymond, ME
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 12:38:58 PM »
Now if you really think having the anemometer underneath the wind vane is necessary to better deal with snow/ice then you should take a look at the Ecowitt HP3500B.  It too is a Fine Offset clone with all the same features (yep UV and Solar too).

Notice the skinny connecting arm to the anemometer and wind vane. It also is tapered down.
This looks a lot like the WS-2000. Are they made by the same company?

Offline kbellis

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 12:53:47 PM »
Yes, there is a varied line up of products manufactured by a Chinese company, Fine Offset, which they offer to secondary companies tailored to fit their specific requirements and branding. Fine Offset doesn't sell to the public.

Offline kbellis

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 12:56:00 PM »