Author Topic: UV/Solar sensors on anything but a 6163?  (Read 1272 times)

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
UV/Solar sensors on anything but a 6163?
« on: October 09, 2018, 10:05:54 PM »
Can you add those 2 sensors on any other Davis unit, or is it only the 6163 that can accommodate them?

thanks

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: UV/Solar sensors on anything but a 6163?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 10:18:46 PM »
Any VP2 is compatible, the Vue is not.

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 11:33:33 PM »
thank you; I was unable to find any info on the Davis site about that..
I havent had a davis in awhile; can I get by with a non aspirated pro 2, living in Phoenix, or will the heat just drive the temp sensor crazy from May until October?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 12:06:12 AM »
I'm a proponent of aspiration no matter where you live, unless you live somewhere that literally has a constant breeze, which is few and far between. No one needs a fan, but if you want accuracy 24/7 no matter what the wind, you get a fan, especially us!

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 12:42:49 AM »
I just bought the ws2000, which has no fan in the array, but, considering the temps have dropped here big time, I doubt there will be much of an issue until april or may, when it starts to hit 100+ again.  This is my first year living full time in the desert, so I am not sure what to expect come summer time.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 12:53:51 AM »
I just bought the ws2000, which has no fan in the array, but, considering the temps have dropped here big time, I doubt there will be much of an issue until april or may, when it starts to hit 100+ again. 
Common misconception. Aspiration is for combating lack of wind more so than solar insolation and temperature, which all shields do, some better than others. Not saying your temp errors won't be mitigated in the cold months, but be sure if the wind is down and the sun is out, your temp will suffer to some "degree", pun intended.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 12:55:41 AM by CW2274 »

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 01:15:17 AM »
thats good to know; we are in the foothills of some mountain passes, and there is a decent breeze at least 75% of the time, so maybe it wont matter..

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 12:44:35 PM »
without adding a data logger, you can see your Davis info on Weather Underground at any time, correct?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 01:34:36 PM »
I think you meant "can't."

The answer to your question is not so simple. There are several methods to put your data on WU. Using a data logger (connected to a display console or an Envoy) is one way. Another way is to use a Meteobridge Pro (no logger required). Another way is to use the cabled version of the Davis ISS and connect an EnviroMonitor Gateway. Another way is to use the Davis Vantage Connect with a wireless ISS.  Another non Davis solution is to use the new Smartbedded Meteobridge nano WiFi solution in a console or Envoy. And lastly a Meteostick. There are probably other methods that I didn't cover.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 03:57:34 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 01:42:39 PM »
so, out of the box, without adding anything, you cant see your data anywhere, correct?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 01:59:33 PM »
There are probably other methods that I didn't cover.

Pretty good list, but not forgetting the WiFi logger of course  :grin: (which needs to be fitted to a console, like all the other loggers).

Oh, and just for completeness there is also a Connect version (6622C) that accepts a cabled VP2 ISS input - not too much call for this, but it was in the Davis catalogue last time I looked. Only real advantage is that you don't have to worry about the ISS power status, which you do with the wireless equivalent. Be surprised if 6622C continues in production when the EM equivalent is also available, but who knows?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 02:08:39 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 02:09:12 PM »
There are probably other methods that I didn't cover.

Not forgetting the WiFi logger of course  :grin: (which needs to be fitted to a console, like all the other loggers).

Yep I forgot that one. I suppose we can also mention SDR solution.
Tele-Pole

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 02:11:58 PM »
so, out of the box, without adding anything, you cant see your data anywhere, correct?

Correct, if you mean you can't see your data online with just a bare station and no logger. Of course you can see data on the local console display.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2018, 02:18:48 PM »

Correct. But realize that the VP2 and Vue are sold with different configurations, as in separate components or custom bundling. So you can buy it without a display console and instead bundle it with one of the other connectivity options to get online. I would argue that Ambient and Acurite systems are doing the same thing. Build your bundle with the features you need. Not everyone needs a display.
Tele-Pole

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 06:27:24 PM »

Correct. But realize that the VP2 and Vue are sold with different configurations, as in separate components or custom bundling. So you can buy it without a display console and instead bundle it with one of the other connectivity options to get online. I would argue that Ambient and Acurite systems are doing the same thing. Build your bundle with the features you need. Not everyone needs a display.

thats a very interesting idea; so, dropping the display, and adding a certain type of logger/hardware/software combo would then make it easy to view your data on your cell phone/tablet/pc?   I assume the savings from not buying the display could be offset by buying the other peripherals needed to accomplish this?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2018, 06:36:06 PM »
Yes and some applications have no place nor need for a display console. Think of a large farm field and all you need is the data to analyse. There may not even be AC power and you won't need it. So you can for example use a Davis VP2 ISS without display console and then use the Davis Vantage Connect cellular up-link, or you can use the EnviroMonitor that has other options and do something similar. All runs off solar and backup batteries.

Tele-Pole

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2018, 08:48:12 PM »
Could you recommend a site I could go to that would show various options and ways to get the data from Davis WS using some of those hardware/software things you suggested?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2018, 06:22:09 AM »
Well information is going to be in many places. But I would start with Davis Instruments website. Don't use a mobile phone as the website is not very mobile friendly.
https://www.davisinstruments.com

Exhausting every bit of information on the Davis Instruments website. Look up every station model. Look at the Works With section. Click on Buy and it loads a page with even more info. Look at the Support Documents link and read the manuals, spec sheets, application notes, and installation diagrams. Look at the comparison charts between different models.

Then you can look at what some of these vendors have for sale and information on these sites. Follow up researching products you see listed for sale even if 3rd party, so that you learn how it works.

https://www.scaledinstruments.com
https://www.scientificsales.com
https://www.ambientweather.com/davaproandpr.html
https://www.weathershack.com
https://www.weatherstations.co.uk/data_handling.htm
https://www.meteobridge.com

Lastly just read a ton of old posts on this forum. Follow up also on the software section. Especially Weather Display, WeeWx, Cumulus, VP Tools, Meteobridge, WUHU as those are the most popular. So also visit their main websites.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 06:47:46 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2018, 08:35:08 AM »
thats a very interesting idea; so, dropping the display, and adding a certain type of logger/hardware/software combo would then make it easy to view your data on your cell phone/tablet/pc?   I assume the savings from not buying the display could be offset by buying the other peripherals needed to accomplish this?

I'm in for under $400 on my VP2, by omitting the "dated" Davis console and using a spare cheap Android touchscreen tablet mounted on the wall for the display.  (Should I call it the VP3?)  :lol:

Here's a picture of my Davis Envoy with a USB logger, feeding a Raspberry Pi running weewx:

Once you have weewx running, you can view the data from a web server on the Pi from packages such as weather34:

http://ae3.homelinux.net:845/weather34/

...and MeteoTemplate:

http://ae3.homelinux.net:845/weather/

...in addition to all of the other cloud-based PWS sites.

Here's a shot of my wall-mounted Android tablet hanging above my Acu-Rite console.  (Note that it is running the WeatherFlow Android app being fed by that hardware in this picture, but can view the Davis station via the web.)

The Davis Vantage driver in weewx has the ability to change all of the logger settings via a command-line config tool, so there is absolutely no reason to buy a Davis console.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2018, 08:55:02 AM »
How are you using the WeatherFlow app without using WeatherFlow hardware and serial number? Is that the WeatherFlow Smart Weather app?... or some other app?

I've thought about making my own console. I've considered Android but it looked more restrictive because I'm not a programmer and haven't found an app to use and it is also more costly. So I haven't totally sorted it all out but I've thought about using the Raspberry Pi but also using it with the official Pi touchscreen and put it in a case designed for the Pi and touchscreen.
https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Display-Touchscreen-Supply-Official/dp/B06XRM4MCW/
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 09:08:07 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2018, 10:05:12 AM »
(Should I call it the VP3?)  :lol:
VP2.5

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2018, 11:10:08 AM »
thanks folks, there is a ton of info here to review..its sort of a shame you have to spend another 150-300 dollars on top of the price of the station, just to be able to view you info via the web...
with my luck, Davis will release new stations that do that on their own the day after I buy  one of their stations!

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2018, 02:39:15 PM »
How are you using the WeatherFlow app without using WeatherFlow hardware and serial number? Is that the WeatherFlow Smart Weather app?... or some other app?

That's WeatherFlow's app, being fed by their hardware into my wall-mounted Android tablet.  There's a web browser running in the background, that can easily display the MeteoTemplate and weather34 web pages running on the Pi and fed by the VP2...no custom app required.

Not a fan of the Raspberry Pi official 7" touchscreen.  I have one, and have yet to find the "killer app" to utilize it.

I keep thinking about writing a custom iPhone/iPad app to display data live out of weewx on a wall-mounted screen, but my aging eyes are going and I keep getting drawn to the huge LCD screen on the living room wall connected to an Apple TV thinking that it would make an excellent weather station console if I developed an Apple TV app for it.  Some day.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2018, 02:48:27 PM »
Ah okay, you do have WeatherFlow hardware.

Idea of using templates run by WeeWx on Pi and then a browser window on Android seems like a good way to go for a custom console.

You said you were not a fan of the Pi touchscreen. Why not use a browser just like are doing on Android with the same templates?

Tele-Pole

anything