Author Topic: New Atlas - Crazy inacurate Wind speeds  (Read 453 times)

Offline mcvoss

New Atlas - Crazy inacurate Wind speeds
« on: October 06, 2018, 11:37:59 AM »
Good morning,

I received a New Atlas 3 days ago to replace my 5n1, which has worked flawlessly for 3 years. I put new batteries in the Atlas and mounted it on the same stable pole mt 5n1 was on. I am having 2 issues. Once or twice a day I will get crazy wind speed readings from both the access and monitor. Yesterday was 76mph and today, so far, my highest wind speed was 138mph. Theres no Hurricane going on at the moment. Any suggestions?

The other issue is I put my monitor in the same spot that my 5n1 monitor used to be in but it will drop the Atlas signal and unless I change the monitor location it wont reconnect. It appears the range was not as good as my 5n1.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Re: New Atlas - Crazy inacurate Wind speeds
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 12:37:46 PM »
Is your anemometer turning smoothly? Mine wasn't reading right when I first installed it, yet it was turning, and support had me to grab the anemometer part and push it down hard, not by the wind spoons, but by the center.

Offline davefr

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 02:16:28 PM »

The other issue is I put my monitor in the same spot that my 5n1 monitor used to be in but it will drop the Atlas signal and unless I change the monitor location it wont reconnect. It appears the range was not as good as my 5n1.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I had the same problem but with the connection to the Access hub.  I'm curious how far your sensor is to your console?

Offline mcvoss

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 03:17:18 PM »
Doctor,

Thanks for the advice. I pressed down on the center of the anemometer and I heard a snap. Hopefully that was it, or I broke it :)

Dave,

My access is 50' and the display is 88' from the Atlas. I had the Atlas on CH A so while I was up there I switched it to C just to see if that helps. I'll post back.

Thank you guys for the replies.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 07:32:10 PM »
Is the anemometer fixed? I doubt you broke it, sounds like it wasn't on right.

Offline mcvoss

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 11:29:44 PM »
No, 90 mph registered at 9pm.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
    • nincehelser.com
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 11:58:22 PM »
It's a longshot, but check that the batteries are good and seated properly, and that the red LED transmitter light is blinking steadily every 10 seconds.

Otherwise, I'd contact Acurite. 

To speed things along, tell them you've tried fresh name-brand batteries (e.g. Duracell) and that hasn't helped.  That should speed you through the first part of their debugging script.

I've been trying to disassemble the anemometer section of my beta unit tonight to see how it works, but I haven't figured how to do that without being destructive.

anything