Author Topic: WU Favorites  (Read 357 times)

Offline captgadget

• Senior Contributor
WU Favorites
« on: August 06, 2018, 12:13:55 PM »
I used to save a favorite in WU and anytime I wanted to see the weather I could click it and it would open on the right PWS. Now when I click on a PWS it no longer opens the one I saved as a favorite. What went wrong?

Offline jackman

• Senior Contributor
    • Echo Pines WX Station
Re: WU Favorites
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 12:20:56 PM »
That's another WU feature that's been mostly broken and ignored for a long time. I don't expect it to ever get fixed. 

Online galfert

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 12:31:37 PM »
WU will fix it. They know about it. It is on their To-Do-List.

https://trello.com/c/zsmreygX/20-fix-for-user-preferences-eg-favorites

WS-2902A | ObserverIP | WeatherBridge (Meteobridge)
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Tele-Pole flag pole is here (not installed yet)

Offline WSWeather

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 08:14:24 PM »
WU will fix it. They know about it. It is on their To-Do-List.

https://trello.com/c/zsmreygX/20-fix-for-user-preferences-eg-favorites

Funny stuff.  This has been broken for almost a year.  They tried to "fix" it twice and made it even worse.  I am convinced they have no idea how it even works since the degree of broken varies with different computers running the same OS and browsers.  For example, my laptop has the correct PWS favorites at the top of the page and even manages to not change to some random nearby station between page loads.  One of my desktops which runs the same version of Windows 10 and the same browser  (Firefox, but it happens with any browser) and is logged into the same WU account has...42 of the same "favorite" and they cannot be deleted.  This is happening on their back end systems somewhere because I have cleared everything that can possibly cleared and it will be OK until a fetch to my user data is made and then they all come rushing back.

Considering that IBM can't be bothered to commit proper resources to fixing the site I don't expect it to ever work right.

Offline Toxic

• Senior Contributor
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 01:50:40 AM »
It would appear there is a handful (if even that many) of staff left to run WUnderground site now. Emails don't even get replied, functionality broken.

I just wonder how on earth IBM think this is progress.

Offline stu-in-flag

• stu-in-flag
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 08:26:03 AM »
Egling, a place I've never looked at on wunderground, is about 20 of my favorite places. I lived about 20 miles north, and had a weather station there. But the mythical community of Egling? [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline captgadget

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 04:08:32 PM »
Maybe this is why IBM almost went broke!

Online galfert

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 07:55:06 PM »
I have found a way to reduce the number of Favorites. I had over 30 at one point.

Here is my method...Although it isn't a perfect method. I was only able to reduce down to 3 favorites and two of them are duplicates of the same location.

1. Do this on computer and not on a mobile device
2. Click on the Manage Favorites gray star or just follow this link: https://www.wunderground.com/member/favorites
3. Count the list of favorites (yes manually count)
4. Now go to the bottom of the list and click the last favorite's yellow star (mouse-over says "Remove From Favorite Cities" before you click)
5. Refresh the browser by clicking the browser's reload page button (Pressing F5 works too)
6. Again count the number of favorites in the list.
7. If the number of favorites increased remember try to click the last one on the list to remove it. If it decreased good, Now remember to skip the next one on the list from the bottom because it adds to the list.
8. If the previous step yielded an increase then remember to skip one from the bottom. Instead now click the next one up to attempt removal.
9. Refresh the browser page
10. Again count the number of favorites
11. If it decreased you can continue clicking on the second to the last favorite or the position count up the list that you were working on. Repeat while that position continues to allow removals and decreasing of the list of favorites.
12. Remember to always Refresh browser and recount after each removal attempt
13. If you run into another favorite that increases the list then skip it and go to the next one up but only after first removing the last one from the list that got added unknowingly.
14. You should hopefully be able to reduce your list to 3 favorites.

Good luck. If this helps you please let me know. If you find a way of improving my method also please share. I really want to remove all favorites. But I'm happy that I'm down to just 3.

UPDATE: Looks like when you are down to 3 it is like a 50/50 chance. I gets hard when it gets down to the last 3. I continued to mess with it and I would go up to 4 and then back down to 3. And I'd go back and forth between 3 and 4. Then one time when I had 3 I got lucky and I'm now down to just 2. I can't explain it. But if you play with it I think you get the hang of it and you can almost surely only grow the list by +1 any time. Then the removal of the last addition is easy. Then just continue working the list down.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 10:45:09 AM by galfert »
WS-2902A | ObserverIP | WeatherBridge (Meteobridge)
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Tele-Pole flag pole is here (not installed yet)

anything