Author Topic: One More Aerial Video  (Read 2980 times)

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
    • http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com
One More Aerial Video
« on: March 22, 2018, 02:39:19 PM »
OK... I can't help myself.  One more here.....  We have had a beautiful run of weather for a few days...  Of course it's cold, windy and raining today...   :-(  This is just a simple loop of the area with a little twist.  Watch the pair of eagles at the top of the tree on the way up....  And then at the end of the video as I am coming down slowly, they finally flew off.  I gave them plenty of room....  Drones usually don't survive eagle attacks...   #-o 

Definitely best watched full screen.  This is an HD link:  http://www.skunkbayweather.com/Eagles032118.mp4

or Vimeo works much better for slower connections.

Thought I'd Share,

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Re: One More Aerial Video
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 07:31:36 PM »
Cool. keep them coming.
Also maybe fly over the shoreline a little more so I can see what kind of fish you have up there. :-)
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 07:37:52 PM »
The seals out-fished me 3-0 day before yesterday.....  They are becoming a HUGE problem here....  2 of the 3 fish I caught were nice 8-9lb. chinook salmon and the seals took all 3...  From my blog...  https://skunkbayweather.blogspot.com/2018/03/video-from-above-fog-and-more-evidence.html

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 03:55:51 AM »
Nice...

Heres one i did just the other day, editing leaves a lot to be desired but it was a quick edit using MS Movie Editor
Its a mix of a few quickly edited images and initial take off, all images were shot the same morning using the Phantom 4 Pro

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jA0bzMZ8eM[/youtube]
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 11:06:09 AM »
Very nice Bashy!  You have nothing to be ashamed of with your editing!  Nice job!   =D>

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 03:15:37 PM »
Those things get pretty high in the sky.
Can they be a danger to light aircraft?
Do they have any marker lights to make them visible?
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 03:20:14 PM »
Not only, they get sucked into a jet intake, bad news for the big boys too.

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 03:26:06 PM »

No worse than a bird strike, if we keep to the rules then if a jet liner is gonna hit our drone then we are the least of the jets problem, its already in trouble...... Just look at the mincemeat that chopper made of that phantom drone. A lot of the pilot reports about drone scares are rubbish anyway, 1 even turned out to be a carrier bag.
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 03:38:20 PM »

No worse than a bird strike, if we keep to the rules then if a jet liner is gonna hit our drone then we are the least of the jets problem, its already in trouble...... Just look at the mincemeat that chopper made of that phantom drone. A lot of the pilot reports about drone scares are rubbish anyway, 1 even turned out to be a carrier bag.
Ya, well, a "bird strike" is what put an A320 into the Hudson River in 2009, and that's just one. As far as "following the rules", all it takes is one dumbass. I didn't have to deal with drones when I was working, all I did was call in reports of laser strikes in the cockpit every weekend.

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 03:55:02 PM »
Well, it's highly unlikely there will be a flock of drones......
It's also highly unlikely that 1 drone would take down a jet liner.
In the case if the Hudson River, it was a flock of Canadian geese if I remember correctly......
Also laser pens are irrelevant in this conversation, we're are talking drones here.
Keep the negativty away from Greg's thread, there's no call for it here, if you don't like drones or the idea of them, that's fine, I respect that but this is a photography thread.
That's my final word, if you wish to carry it on then start a new drone bashing thread and I will gladly educate you some more, will have to wait until the morning now though, good day.....
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 03:56:23 PM »
Sorry, forgot to add, just 1 Canadian goose far out weighs 1 phantom 4 ;)
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 04:04:22 PM »
Well, it's highly unlikely there will be a flock of drones......
It's also highly unlikely that 1 drone would take down a jet liner.
In the case if the Hudson River, it was a flock of Canadian geese if I remember correctly......
Also laser pens are irrelevant in this conversation, we're are talking drones here.
Keep the negativty away from Greg's thread, there's no call for it here, if you don't like drones or the idea of them, that's fine, I respect that but this is a photography thread.
That's my final word, if you wish to carry it on then start a new drone bashing thread and I will gladly educate you some more, will have to wait until the morning now though, good day.....
The question was asked if they can be dangerous, I replied. As far as bashing drones, you have no idea what my intent is, quit putting words in my mouth. I'm bashing dumbass's that DON'T follow the rules, hence the laser comment, which I dealt with dozens of time. I guess ALL drone pilots are above reproach. :roll:

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 04:11:10 PM »
You replied to me re Hudson River, I will leave it at that.
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 04:28:19 PM »
FWIW,
Drones are prohibited from flying in large restricted zones around airports.  In specific commercial drone cases they can only fly with permission from flight control at that airport.  For general use, drones are prohibited from flying over 400' above ground level.  Manned aircraft are required to fly above 500'.  This is over land.  Manned aircraft can fly on the deck over water.  All drones are required to be in clear visual sight of the operator at all times.  Drones MUST yield to all manned aircraft regardless of their location or if they are out of compliance.  This is a highlight of the main regulations.

There are some decent rules and guidelines that if followed, the chance of mid air accidents are almost impossible.  However, all it takes is one idiot to give the rest of us a bad wrap.  I am all for increasing the penalties for those who ignore these regulations.  The drone industry is growing rapidly.  I am all for initiating any regulations that would make the sky safer and heavier punishments for irresponsible operators. 

For me, I have no plans on ever flying mine off my property.  We are in a rural area and I have the room to do it.  I never go above 390' and am VERY cautious with good visibility at all times over water.  I respect my neighbors and will NEVER take closeup images of their homes.  It's also out of this respect that I only fly mine directly over my property.....  Heck, there's plenty to look at without bothering my neighbors....  Drone photography has opened up a whole new view of the world.

Greg

Davis VP2 with VWS

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2018, 04:37:13 PM »
However, all it takes is one idiot to give the rest of us a bad wrap.
Just to be clear, I never insinuated that YOU are irresponsible, but your statement is exactly my point, except there's ahellofalot more than just one, hence the other thread.

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2018, 11:34:36 PM »
Greetings, absolutely keep them coming! Fantastic!
I find it hard to believe how pond like the waters are yet it is all a part of the Pacific ocean.

BTW I love this forum because of the respect that is afforded each poster...

For the record Greg has as far as I can tell done his research and followed all the rules that apply.
If that is true then respectfully do not impose discussions on the possibilities of others that Greg is not responsible for.

Plenty of photographers can trample on nature, litter or invade the privacy of others to get that one great shot.
However, it would be inappropriate to tell me to stop taking photo's because of the those actions of others.
I believe the same applies here. In fact Greg's drone posts have done just opposite with educational quips about the regulations.
Also Greg's integrity is evident in his refusal to post imagines of his neighbors property.

Comments about drones use or not is just as unnecessary as discussions about Canon vs. Nikon vs.Pentax, etc.
Finally Greg's photos have educated me on the beauty of nature from a different perspective and how much we have to protect it.

Randall
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 11:56:00 PM by kaymann »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2018, 01:26:00 AM »
respectfully do not impose discussions on the possibilities of others that Greg is not responsible for
Really? Why? This is a forum and we discuss things. I nor anyone else said Greg was responsible for anything, other than his fantastic, responsible, drone footage.
BTW, I think drones have the capability to be one of the greatest tools to mankind ever developed. I just don't want people flying them into airplanes.
Fair enough?

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2018, 09:48:33 AM »
1) It has nothing to do with Greg's original post
2) It has nothing to do with weather

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2018, 03:16:37 PM »
1) It has nothing to do with Greg's original post
2) It has nothing to do with weather
Funny how you seem to overlook that Ocala asked a legitimate question in the first place. I answered it. Why don't you rip him for asking the question???
Didn't realize the forum was to be run under your set of rules. I'll be sure and watch it next time........

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2018, 03:48:36 PM »
You did but your statement was based on untruth, you said they get sucked into jet intakes. Not once has that happed. You replied to me mostly, with uneducated replies. Likening a 1.5kg drone to a flock of Canadian geese. An average weight of one of the geese is probably about 8kg each. I overlooked Ocala's reply due to your reply of which was an untrue statement. It looks like you seem to like the last word. I will just reply to Ocala and leave it there. Unless you have some questions?

Ocala, yes, they could cause some serious damage to a light aircraft due to those having a lighter material,. This is why we have the drone code and laws to help protect manned aircraft, sadly that does not stop some that feel they have to push their drones to the limits, height and horizontally, it's cause of these people that the drone laws/rules are becoming stricter, more so here in the UK.
Kind regards
Bashy