Author Topic: Acurite plans to drop support for SmartHUB August 31, 2018.  (Read 5812 times)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Acurite plans to drop support for SmartHUB August 31, 2018.
« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2018, 07:21:39 PM »
They could once you get the new Access box - encrypted comms.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
    • nincehelser.com
« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2018, 07:22:21 PM »
To me, the one bullet point that says it all is this one: "Developing new, higher margin solutions with recurring revenue for both the B2B & B2C markets globally."

"Higher margin with recurring revenue" is not generated by selling a $150 5n1 that stands alone and lasts for several years. Now a $300 Atlas 7/8 or a $600 Elite might meet the "higher margins" goal, but where does the "recurring revenue" play in? Draw your own conclusions.

That could mean subscriptions for myAcurite, but they've been toying with that for years.  Someone somehow has to cover the data center costs.

However, we still don't know how this impacts the Acurite/Chaney division or the products. 

This might very well be the reason the Atlas release has been delayed.

Offline wrz0170

« Reply #102 on: March 03, 2018, 07:27:42 PM »
Davis is an excellent choice

Davis probably has the best sensors but the rest of their lineup is a Kludge.

Their consoles look like they're from the 1970's.  (lack of color displays, lack of WiFi). I haven't seen anything new and innovative from Davis this entire decade.

If you want to connect one of their consoles to a router you have to buy a separate IP dongle for >$200 and string ethernet cable from the console to the router.  Or buy another overpriced console to place near the router. 

At least Acurite has had good ideas. It's their poor product quality and execution that's their downfall.

I have a Davis Pro 2 Wireless and I do agree, the console could probably use an update.  Itís also been rock solid so far.

However, everything for me is wireless.  I do not have to run a Ethernet cable to my router.  While a little convoluted, I use a dongle purchased from a gentleman on these boards and a Raspberry Pi with WeeWx.  Both under $100. 

Offline alanb

• Contributor
« Reply #103 on: March 03, 2018, 07:29:02 PM »
I suppose "recurring revenue" could also be selling a "throw away" product with a short lifespan that needs to replaced often. But doing that would eventually cause customers to drift to competitors, so it would be a very short sighted approach.
Alan

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
    • nincehelser.com
« Reply #104 on: March 03, 2018, 07:29:25 PM »

Sounds like they want to charge a hosting fee for data uploads to WU, etc.?? But how can they since their competitors don't?

Does Acurite represent a large % of Primex?

Not to wunderground.  They really don't have any cost involvement with that.

I don't know how much of Primex is Acurite, but many that we think of as being "Acurite employees" use Primex email addresses, and their job duties aren't necessarily exclusive to Acurite.

Offline iszekeres

« Reply #105 on: March 03, 2018, 07:37:48 PM »

That could mean subscriptions for myAcurite, but they've been toying with that for years.  Someone somehow has to cover the data center costs.

However, we still don't know how this impacts the Acurite/Chaney division or the products. 

This might very well be the reason the Atlas release has been delayed.

Maybe they can harness the power of your backpedaling and sell it off to fund some of the DC costs George.....

Online DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #106 on: March 03, 2018, 09:38:36 PM »
If Acurite would get off of Jeff Bezoos or however it's spelled data servers, they could cut costs... Amazon is making killings off of them.

anything